- Many Windows 10 users complained that when they try to view PDF files, they get the error: There was a problem reading this document.
- If you open the document in different browsers and then try to save it, it may help.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of software to read the document.
- You should also disable a particular option in your browser by following the steps below.
There was a problem reading this document error message usually appears when trying to view PDF files. This error message will prevent you from viewing certain documents, and in today’s article we’ll show you how to fix this error.
There was a problem reading this document error message will prevent you from viewing PDF files. This message has several variations, and these are some similar problems that users reported:
- There was a problem reading this document (14) expected a dict object – This problem can occur for various reasons, and if you encounter it, be sure to resave the problematic file and check if that solves your issue.
- Adobe there was a problem reading this document (15), (109), (131), 11, (16), (114) – These are some variations of the original error, and if you encounter it in Adobe Reader, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- There was a problem reading this document PDF, Adobe – This issue can occur when viewing PDF files. To fix it, try updating Adobe Reader to the latest version and check if that helps.
- Document could not be saved there was a problem reading this document – To fix this message, try using a different PDF viewer or try to open the document in the browser.
- Adobe reader there was a problem reading this document access denied – Certain issues with Adobe Reader can appear, but you can fix them simply by reinstalling the application.
There was a problem reading this document error message, how to fix it?
- Hold the CTRL key to view extra information
- Resave the problematic file
- Extract the desired pages
- Open the file in the browser and save it
- Use an older version of Adobe Reader
- Disable Display PDF in browser option
- Update Adobe Reader to the latest version
- Use a third-party reader
- Download the PDF again
Solution 1 – Hold the CTRL key to view extra information
There was a problem reading this document error 14 message can appear while trying to open certain PDF documents. According to users, the problem occurs due to file corruption, and in order to see the full error message, users are suggesting to press and hold the Ctrl key when the error appears and click the OK button.
This will show you more information about this error. Bear in mind that this method won’t fix the core problem, but it will give you additional information that you can use in order to troubleshoot the issue further.
Solution 2 – Resave the problematic file
As previously mentioned, There was a problem reading this document error 15 can occur due to file corruption, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised to open the document, save it again and try to open it once more.
Several users claim that resaving the document can fix the file corruption issues as long as the file is readable, so be sure to try that.
Solution 3 – Extract the desired pages
According to users, if you keep getting There was a problem reading this document error 14 message, you might be able to circumvent the issue simply by extracting the pages that you need.
Your PDF file can be corrupted, and if you can’t repair it by using our previous solutions, you can at least try to export the pages that you need. This won’t fix the core problem, but at least you should be able to view the pages that you need.
Solution 4 – Open the file in the browser and save it
In order to fix There was a problem reading this document error 14, you might want to try using a browser to view the file. If the file can’t be rendered in the browser, then it’s advised to save a copy from the browser.
To do that, open the PDF file in the browser, choose File > Print > PDF > Open PDF in Preview. After doing that, choose a save location and save the file and you should be able to open it without any problems.
Bear in mind that you might not be able to open the PDF file in your default browser, so it’s advised to try this solution with several different browsers until you find the one that works for you.
Solution 5 – Use an older version of Adobe Reader
According to users, sometimes this problem can occur due to the version of Adobe Reader you’re using. To fix that, you just need to switch back to the older version of Adobe Reader. To do that, you first need to uninstall the version of Adobe Reader you’re using.
There are several methods you can use to do so, but the best one is to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. In case you don’t know how uninstaller software works, it will remove the selected application, but it will also remove all files and registry entries associated with it.
- Download now Revo Uninstaller (Trial version)
Once you remove Adobe Reader, download an older version and install it. Keep in mind that the older version might not be available from Adobe’s website, so you’ll need to rely on third-party sources.
Bear in mind that Adobe Reader might try to update itself automatically to the latest version, so be sure to disable this option in settings.
Solution 6 – Disable Display PDF in browser option
Sometimes There was a problem reading this document error 14 message can appear due to your settings in Adobe Reader. However, you might be able to solve this problem simply by disabling Display PDF in browser feature.
To do that in Adobe Reader, follow these steps:
- Open Adobe Reader.
- Head over to the Edit > Preferences > Internet section.
- Locate Display PDF in browser option and uncheck it.
After doing that, check if that problem is still there. Several users reported that this workaround solved the problem for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 7 – Update Adobe Reader to the latest version
In some cases, you might be able to solve There was a problem reading this document error simply by installing the latest updates for Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader usually checks for updates automatically, but sometimes you might skip an update or two.
However, you can always check for updates right from the application itself. Alternatively, you can download the latest version from Adobe’s website and install it. Once Adobe Reader is up to date, the problem should be resolved and everything will start working again.
Solution 8 – Use a third-party reader
If you’re still getting There was a problem reading this document error message, the problem might be your PDF viewer. Issues with Adobe Reader can occur, and in order to fix the problem, perhaps you can try using a different PDF reader.
There are many great PDF viewers on the market, but if you’re looking for a solid Adobe Reader replacement, we suggest that you try out Nitro Free PDF reader. Once you download and install a different PDF reader, try to open it again and check if the problem is still there.
Nitro PDF reader is used by over 600,000 companies. Go ahead and test it yourself for free during the trial period and unlock all the features by getting the full version.
Solution 9 – Download the PDF again
If There was a problem reading this document error keeps appearing, the problem might be the PDF file. Sometimes the PDF file can get corrupted, and if you tried all of our previous solutions, perhaps you can fix the problem simply by redownloading the PDF file.
Once you do that, try to open it and check if the problem is still there. Alternatively, you can try to open the PDF file on a different PC or on your phone and check if the problem appears there as well.
There was a problem reading this document error can be quite problematic and cause issues while trying to view PDF files, but we hope that you managed to solve this problem using one of our solutions.
- Fix: PDF files not printing properly in Windows 10
- Full Fix: PDF thumbnails not showing on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Fix: Print to PDF not working in Windows 10