- Steam has its own fair share of errors, such as Unable to initialize Steam API error.
- To fix this error, you should run Steam as an administrator and opt out of the beta program.
- For more guides on fixing various errors with Steam, we invite you to have a look at our comprehensive Steam Troubleshooting Page.
- When it comes to fixing your games, there's no better resource than our detailed Gaming Hub.
Even though Steam is one of the most used and appreciated gaming platforms available on the market, this gaming hub has its own fair share of errors, such as Unable to initialize Steam API error.
If the error is known to you, that means you’re trying to run a game from your Steam game library without any results.
This error can appear for a variety of reasons, and because of the wide range of factors that can come into play, this guide will not fix the problem for all the readers, but we will try our best to explore some of the most useful fixes based on our team’s research and feedback received from users.
Here are some of the causes for this error:
- Your Windows firewall settings might be causing Steam to refuse the Internet connection
- A firewall built into your antivirus might be blocking the .exe file from running
- Issues have been reported by users who own a Steam beta client
How can I fix Unable to initialize Steam API error?
- Edit your Windows firewall and antivirus settings
- Opt-out of the beta testing program offered by Steam
- Try running the Steam with administrator privileges
1. Edit your Windows firewall and antivirus settings
- Click on the Start button > then choose the cog-wheel button to enter Settings.
- Choose Update and Security > Windows Security > Firewall and Network Protection > Allow an app through firewall.
- After choosing this option, all you need to do is to find Steam (or the problematic game) in the list and set it to be allowed to pass through the firewall, by marking both the In and Out checkboxes.
- Click on OK to allow your computer to restart and apply these settings.
2. Opt-out of the beta testing program offered by Steam
- Navigate to Steam settings found at the top left of your screen.
- Choosing the Account tab > and then change the settings in the Beta participation option, to NONE.
- In order to exit Steam completely, you will need to click on the Steam option at the top left of your screen and then choose Exit.
- Now you want to close all the processes running on your system that work with Steam. In order to do so, you can right-click on your taskbar, and choose Task Manager.
- This will open up a window that allows you to see all the running processes on your Windows PC.
- Click on the More details button found at the bottom of the window.
- Next, we will need to search for all the processes related to Steam – Steam.exe, Steam Client Bootstrapper, or GameOverlayUI.exe. ,
- For each of them, click on End Process > Yes.
- Now you can restart the Steam platform and try to see if the game runs.
Some users have reported that Unable to initialize Steam API error was resolved after leaving the Beta testing program.
Note: If this method didn’t work in your case, it is recommended that you still opt out of the Beta programs and close all running Steam applications in order to try the next solution.
3. Try running the Steam with administrator privileges
In some cases Unable to initialize Steam API error can appear if you don’t have the required privileges. However, you can fix that by doing the following:
- Find the Steam executable file on your Windows PC, right-click on it, and then click on Properties
- Choose the Compatibility tab found in that window, and check the box next to the option Run this program as an administrator.
- Choose OK, and then make sure to accept all the pop-ups that appear in order to grant administrator privileges.
In this article, we explored some of the best methods to use when dealing with the dreaded Unable to initialize Steam API error. Please remember to also remove any Steam executable file and Steam games from both of the Windows Firewall, and the one found in your antivirus software.
Please feel free to let us know how these solutions worked for you by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Unable to initialize Steam API
- How do I fix steam API is not initialized?
Add Steam to your firewall’s exceptions list, then follow the steps listed above to fix this Steam error.
- Where are Steam games stored Windows 10?
To find your Steam library folder, follow the following steps:
- Open Steam
- Go to Steam > Settings (top left-hand side of the Steam window)
- Click on the Downloads tab
- Under Content Libraries, click on Steam Library Folders
- A window will open showing your installation folders
- The default path will be C: > Program Files(x86) > Steam > steamapps > common
- How do I initialize Steam API?
You cannot manually initialize the Steam API, however, the first troubleshooting steps to take will be to run both Steam and the problematic game as an administrator. If this doesn’t work, try the other solutions shown in this guide.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.