How to fix Unable to open serial port error message
A serial port can be useful, but some users reported Unable to open serial port message on their PC. This can be a big problem, and in today’s article we’ll show you how to fix this error.
Problems with a serial port can be quite annoying, especially if you tend to use the serial port frequently. Speaking of these kinds of problems, here are some related issues that users reported:
- Unable to open connection to com1 Windows 10, com3 – This issue can sometimes appear if you don’t have the necessary drivers. To fix it, be sure to update the serial port driver and check if that solves your problem.
- Putty unable to open serial port Windows 10 – Sometimes this issue can occur due to certain Windows services. This isn’t a major issue, and you can fix it by disabling those services.
- Unable to open serial port com1 access is denied – This issue can appear due to glitches with a serial port. To fix the problem, temporarily disable the serial port and check if that helps.
- Unable to open com port win error code 5, 123, 32 – These are some common problems that can appear with a serial port, but you should be able to fix most of them with one of our solutions.
Unable to open serial port message on Windows 10, how to fix it?
- Make sure that you have the necessary drivers
- Make sure that the port isn’t open/disconnect the cable
- Stop the Windows Fax and Scan service
- Disable the serial port in Device Manager
- Try using a different cable
- Restart the device
- Reinstall the serial port driver
- Make sure that the system is up to date
Solution 1 – Make sure that you have the necessary drivers
If you’re getting Unable to open serial port message, perhaps the problem is related to your drivers. To fix this issue, it’s advised to update your serial port driver. To do that, visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers.
If you find this process a bit tedious or complex, you can always use third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater to update all your drivers automatically with just a couple of clicks. It will keep your computer safe from downloading and installing the wrong driver versiosn which can cause serious malfunctions.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free
Solution 2 – Make sure that the port isn’t open/disconnect the cable
Sometimes Unable to open serial port message can appear if the port is already open. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to disconnect the cable from the other device and try to connect again.
This is a simple workaround, but several users reported that it worked for them, so feel free to try it out.
Solution 3 – Stop the Windows Fax and Scan service
Several users reported Unable to open serial port message while trying to use the serial port. It turns out that the problem was the Windows Fax and Scan service. To fix this problem, you just need to stop Windows Fax and Scan service. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Windows Fax and Scan service and double-click it to open its properties. If this service isn’t available, try changing the settings of the Fax service.
- Set the Startup type to Manual and click the Stop button to stop the service. Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
After doing that, check if the problem is still there. Bear in mind that this is just a workaround, so you might have to repeat it every time you want to use a serial port on your PC.
Solution 4 – Disable the serial port in Device Manager
If you keep getting Unable to open serial port message on your PC, the issue might be related to serial port driver. This is usually caused by a temporary glitch, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised to disable the serial port temporarily. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate the serial port, right-click it and choose Disable device from the menu. When the confirmation dialog appears, click Yes.
- Wait for a couple of moments and then enable the serial port.
After doing that, check if the problem is resolved. If this solution works for you, bear in mind that you’ll have to repeat it every time you want to use your serial port.
Solution 5 – Try using a different cable
Sometimes Unable to open serial port error can appear if your cable isn’t working. Be sure to check if your cable is properly connected. In addition, check for any visible damage. If your cable seems to be in order, try replacing it and check if the problem appears with a different cable.
Solution 6 – Restart the device
If Unable to open serial port keeps appearing, perhaps you can fix the problem by restarting your devices. Simply restart the device you’re trying to connect to and check if that solves the problem. Alternatively, you can restart your PC and see if that solves the issue.
Solution 7 – Reinstall the serial port driver
As we already mentioned, sometimes issues with your serial port can be caused by your drivers. If you keep getting Unable to open serial port message, you might be able to fix the problem simply by reinstalling the serial port driver. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Device Manager.
- Locate your serial port, right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- Now click Uninstall to confirm.
- Once the device is uninstalled, restart your PC.
After your computer restarts, Windows should install the default driver and the problem with will be completely resolved.
Solution 8 – Make sure that the system is up to date
In some cases Unable to open serial port message can appear if your system isn’t out of date. An outdated system can lead to various compatibility issues, and the best way to avoid these issues is to update your system.
This process is quite straightforward in Windows 10, and for the most part Windows installs the updates on its own. However, you can always check for updates on your own by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security section.
- Now click the Check for updates button in the right pane.
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded automatically in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Unable to open serial port message can be a problem for many users that use the serial port frequently, but you should be able to fix this problem using one of our solutions.
- This is how we fixed ‘The Package could not be registered’ error
- How to fix Windows “Bootloader Device Unknown” boot error
- Here’s how to fix Status invalid image format error
Email extractor software involves an email addresses harvester. In other words, an email extractor tool extracts email addresses from the Internet. You are able to […]
Microsoft has just showed users a little more of what the 19H1 update has in store for Windows 10. Revamped storage is one of the […]