- The Unable to download path FFXIV error stops Final Fantasy XIV updating.
- Turning off the Windows Defender Firewall or third-party antivirus utilities are two probable fixes for this error.
- For more articles on this amazing MMO, check out our Final Fantasy XIV hub.
- Our Gaming section is where you can find plenty of other game-related articles
Some Final Fantasy XIV player have posted on Square’s forum about an Unable to download patch files FFXIV error message. That issue arises when they try to download patch updates for the game.
FFXIV doesn’t get updated when the Unable to download patch error message pops up. If you need to fix that FFXIV error, take note of the potential resolutions below.
This is how you can fix the FFXIV patch files error
1. Turn off your third-party antivirus software
First, try disabling any active third-party antivirus software installed. To do that, right-click the antivirus utility’s system tray icon on the right of the taskbar to select a disable or shut down option of some kind.
Then you can usually select to turn off the antivirus software for a specific time period. Thereafter, try downloading the patch update with the antivirus shield disabled.
2. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- If you don’t have a third-party antivirus utility installed, temporarily turn off the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click the Type here to search button on the left side of the taskbar.
- Type the keyword firewall in the search box to find Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open its Control Panel applet.
- Click Turn Windows Defender on or off to open the options shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Select both Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons, and click the OK option.
- Thereafter, try downloading the required FFXIV patch files with Windows Defender Firewall off. Turn the firewall back on when you’ve updated the game.
3. Connect to a VPN Server
Some users have fixed the Unable to download patch files error by utilizing VPN when downloading.
Install one of the VPN software included in our best VPN software guide. Then connect with the VPN server. Thereafter, try downloading the patch file again.
4. Change your DNS Server to Google
- Users have also confirmed changing to Google DNS fixed the issue for them.
- To do so, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ncpa.cpl in Run and click OK to open Network Connections in the Control Panel.
- Right-click your active net connection to select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 on the window that opens, and click the Properties button.
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses radio button.
- Input 22.214.171.124 as the Preferred DNS server value.
- Next, enter 126.96.36.199 in the Alternative DNS server box as in the shot directly below.
- Select the Validate settings upon exit check box.
- Click OK to close the windows.
- If the Google DNS doesn’t fix the issue, try entering the values 188.8.131.52. and 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred and Alternative DNS server boxes instead.
- Restart your laptop or desktop after changing the DNS.
5. Delete the 4e9a232b subfolder
- Deleting FFXIV’s 4e9a232b subfolder is another potential fix for its Unable to download patch files error.
- To open File Explorer, press the Windows key + E keys at the same time.
- Click Documents on the left of File Explorer.
- From there, open this folder path in Explorer:
My Games > Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn > Downloads > Patch.
- Then right-click the 4e9a232b subfolder and select Delete. Alternatively, press the Delete button on the Home tab.
- Thereafter, try downloading the required patch files to update FFXIV with Steam in its offline mode.
Those are some of the more probable resolutions for the Unable to download patch files error that might get FFXIV updated again. Users who have fixed the sameerror with other resolutions not specified here are welcome to share them below.
FAQ: Learn more about FFXIV
- What is FFXIV?
FFXIV or Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG set in the same universe as the rest of the Final Fantasy series.
- Does Final Fantasy 14 have a monthly fee?
Yes, Final Fantasy 14 is a subscription-based game.
- Why is FFXIV so popular?
Besides the fact that the game is enormous in terms of content, Final Fantasy XIV also get frequent updates, allowing the game to stay competitive. You can also connect to servers all over the world if you use the right VPNs.