- The Unable to download patch FFXIV error stops Final Fantasy XIV from updating.
- If FFXIV is unable to download patch files, you won't be able to play the game at all, eventually.
- So start fixing this by installing a VPN, in case the game content is geo-restricted.
- Turning off the Windows Defender Firewall or third-party antivirus utilities are other possible fixes.
Some FFXIV error message. The issue pops up when they try to download patch updates for the game.players have posted on Square’s forum about an Unable to download patch files
FFXIV doesn’t get updated when the mentioned error message appears. If you need to fix this game error, take note of the potential resolutions below.
How can I fix the FFXIV patch files error?
1. Connect to a VPN server
Some users have fixed the Unable to download patch files error by utilizing a VPN when downloading.
We recommend Private Internet Access (PIA) for a few reasons:
- Easy install
- Instant access to hundreds of servers all over the world
- Unlock not just gaming, but any media streaming content
- Protect up to 10 devices with one subscription
- 30-day money-back guarantee in case you’re not satisfied with the service
- No logs policy – ultimate privacy;
- Unlimited streaming bandwidth
Private Internet AccessLooking for a no-fuss download for the FFXIV patch you need? This VPS guarantees just that, plus top privacy for you online activity.
2. Turn off your third-party antivirus software
First, try disabling any active third-party antivirus software installed. To do that, right-click the antivirus utility system tray icon on the right of the taskbar to select a disable/shut down option.
Alternatively, you can select to turn off the antivirus software for a specific time period. Thereafter, try downloading the patch update with the antivirus shield disabled.
3. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- If you don’t have a third-party antivirus utility installed, temporarily turn off the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click the Type here to search button on the left side of the taskbar.
- Type the keyword firewall in the search box to find Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open its Control Panel applet.
- Click Turn Windows Defender on or off to open the options shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Select both Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons, and click the OK option.
- Thereafter, try downloading the required FFXIV patch files with Windows Defender Firewall off. Turn the firewall back on when you’ve updated the game.
4. Change your DNS Server to Google
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ncpa.cpl in Run and click OK to open Network Connections in the Control Panel.
- Right-click your active net connection to select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 on the window that opens, and click the Properties button.
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses radio button.
- Input 220.127.116.11 as the Preferred DNS server value.
- Next, enter 18.104.22.168 in the Alternative DNS server box as in the shot directly below.
- Select the Validate settings upon exit check box.
- Click OK to close the windows.
- If the Google DNS doesn’t fix the issue, try entering the values 22.214.171.124. and 126.96.36.199 in the Preferred and Alternative DNS server boxes instead.
- Restart your laptop or desktop after changing the DNS.
5. Delete the 4e9a232b subfolder
- Deleting FFXIV’s 4e9a232b subfolder is another potential fix for its Unable to download patch files error.
- To open File Explorer, press the Windows key + E keys at the same time.
- Click Documents on the left of File Explorer.
- From there, open this folder path in Explorer:
My Games / Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn / Downloads / Patch
- Then right-click the 4e9a232b subfolder and select Delete. Alternatively, press the Delete button on the Home tab.
- Thereafter, try downloading the required patch files to update FFXIV with Steam in its offline mode.
Those are some of the more probable resolutions for the Unable to download patch files error that might get FFXIV updated again. Users who have fixed the same Final Fantasy error with other resolutions not specified here are welcome to share them below.
Frequently Asked Questions
FFXIV or Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG set in the same universe as the rest of the Final Fantasy series
Patch 5.4 is the latest. In case you have trouble downloading it, keep this troubleshooting guide at hand.
Stormblood has five patches. However, if you’ve got a specific common error to correct (such as 90002) check out our best solutions.