Here’s what to do if video isn’t working on Skype
Skype is a great tool for instant messages and calls, however, some users reported that video is not working on Skype. This can be a problem, especially if you tend to make video calls frequently, so today we’re going to try and fix this problem.
Video issues in Skype can cause many problems, and speaking of issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Skype video not working Windows 10, showing other person – This problem is usually caused by your drivers, and in order to fix it, it’s advised that you update your drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
- Video not loading on Skype – Sometimes third-party applications can interfere with Skype and cause this problem. To fix it, find and remove the applications that are interfering with Skype.
- Video call not working on Skype – This issue can occur if you don’t have the latest updates installed. To fix the problem, be sure that both your system and Skype are up to date.
- Skype video won’t turn on, connect, load, keeps freezing, black screen – These are various issues that can appear with Skype, and if you encounter them, be sure to try some of our solutions.
Video not working on Skype, how to fix it?
- Install the generic driver
- Remove problematic applications
- Make sure that you have the latest updates
- Make changes to your registry
- Update your webcam driver
- Make sure that your webcam is properly configured
- Reinstall Skype
- Perform a System Restore
Solution 1 – Install the generic driver
According to users, sometimes you might have certain issues with your webcam driver, and that can lead to this problem. If the video is not working on Skype, you might be able to fix the problem simply by installing the generic webcam driver.
This is fairly simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your webcam driver, right-click it and select Update driver from the menu.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Now click on Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Select USB Video Device and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Once you install the generic driver, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 2 – Remove problematic applications
Sometimes third-party applications can interfere with Skype and that will cause video not to work. This can be a problem, but in order to fix it, you need to find and remove the problematic applications.
The cause for this problem is usually virtual video capture software, such as CyberLink YouCam, and in order to fix the problem, you need to find and remove the problematic application. Bear in mind that any other camera software can cause this issue to appear, so keep an eye out for all camera applications.
Once you find the problematic application, it’s advised that you remove it. There are several ways to do that, but the most effective one is to use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller. In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that can easily remove any software from your PC.
In addition to removing software, uninstaller application will also remove all files and registry entries associated with the application you’re trying to remove. As a result, the application will be completely removed, and there won’t be any leftover files that can interfere with your system.
After you remove the problematic applications, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 3 – Make sure that you have the latest updates
If your video is not working on Skype, it’s possible that the issue is caused by your system. Sometimes issues can appear due to certain glitches, and the best way to address these issues is to keep your system up to date.
This is fairly simple to do, especially since Windows 10 tends to install the missing updates automatically. However, you can always check for updates on your own and ensure that you’re running the latest version of Windows 10. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I shortcut to open the Settings app. Now navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Click the Check for updates button in the right pane.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, restart your PC to install them. After updating your system, check if the problem with Skype is still there.
Solution 4 – Make changes to your registry
If the video is not working on Skype, perhaps the issue is related to your registry. Several users reported that they fixed this problem simply by making a couple of changes to their registry, and today we’ll show you how to do that.
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- In the left pane, navigate to the ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432NodeMicrosoftWindows Media FoundationPlatform In the right pane, right-click the empty space and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Enter EnableFrameServerMode as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double-click the newly created EnableFrameServerMode DWORD and make sure that its Value Data is set to 0.
- If everything is in order, close Registry Editor.
After making these changes, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 5 – Update your webcam driver
Sometimes the video is not working on Skype due to your graphics card driver. Your drivers might be out of date, and that can cause this issue to appear. To fix the problem, users are suggesting to update your webcam driver to the latest version.
This is fairly simple to do, and you can do it by visiting your webcam manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your webcam model. If this method seems a bit complicated to you, you can always third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater to update your drivers automatically with just a couple of clicks.
Once your webcam driver is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 6 – Make sure that your webcam is properly configured
If you’re having video issues in Skype, it’s possible that your webcam isn’t properly configured. To fix that, check your webcam software and make sure that your webcam is working properly.
In addition, you need to ensure that your webcam is properly configured in Skype. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Skype and go to Tools > Options.
- Select Video settings from the menu on the left. In the right pane, make sure that the correct camera is selected. Now click the Save button to save changes.
After making these changes check if your webcam is working properly.
Solution 7 – Reinstall Skype
According to users, if the video is not working on Skype, perhaps the issue is related to your Skype installation. Sometimes your installation can become corrupted, and that can lead to this and many other problems. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to reinstall Skype completely.
There are several methods you can use, but if you want to completely remove Skype, it’s best that you use uninstaller software. Once you remove Skype, install it again and check if the problem is still there.
Some users are also recommending to download and install the older version of Skype, so you might want to try that as well.
Solution 8 – Perform a System Restore
If this problem with Skype started occurring recently, you might be able to solve it by performing a System Restore. In case you don’t know, System Restore is a useful feature that allows you to restore your PC to an earlier state and fix various problems along the way. To perform a System Restore, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and type system restore. Select Create a restore point from the menu.
- When System Properties window opens, click the System Restore button.
- System Restore window should now appear. Click the Next button to proceed.
- Check Show more restore points option, if available. Select the desired restore point and click the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Once your system is restored, check if the problem with Skype video is still there.
Video problems in Skype can be annoying, especially if you tend to make Skype calls frequently. However, we hope that our solutions helped you solve this problem.
- SOLVED: Skype virus sending messages automatically
- Why does Skype keeps opening on its own? How do I stop it?
- What to do if Skype keeps closing in Windows 10
Windows Media Player allows you to add album art to your favorite tracks with a simple drag and drop function. Sometime, this function may not […]
Microsoft finally released the much-awaited Windows 10 May 2019 Update today. The update stayed in the Release Preview ring for about a month so that […]