FIX: Vimeo not playing in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer
Vimeo has been on a path of steady growth ever since its inception in 2004 so that it has now shaped up as a nice alternative to the segment leader YouTube. In fact, what makes Vimeo to have an edge over YouTube is that it offers high quality videos but without the annoying ad breaks.
Another inherent positive with Vimeo is that it is entirely managed by human crew. As such, video suggestions and all are performed by real humans, which vastly reduces chances of anyone coming across inappropriate video content. Plus, you also get to upload your own videos on Vimeo with perfect ease.
Unfortunately, notwithstanding how great Vimeo is as a video sharing platform, there have often been instances where users have trouble viewing the site. That again has much to do with the respective browser settings and getting back to viewing the videos can be just a few taps/ mouse clicks away. Here is what you need to do to if Vimeo is not playing on your browser.
SOLVED: Vimeo fails to play videos in browser
Fix Vimeo issues on Firefox
Clear browser Cookies, Internet Cache and History files
To do that, launch Firefox browser.
- Click on Menu button – the three horizontal lines that together is also referred to as the hamburger icon – at the top right corner.
- Select Options > Privacy & Security from the list of options on the left panel.
- There under the Cookies and Site Data section, click on Clear Data on the right.
- Under the Clear data window, makes sure Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content are both check marked.
- Click on the Clear button. There will be a prompt that will ask you to confirm if you are really keen to clear the cache given that this might sign you out of certain sites. Click on Clear Now.
- Re-start Firefox and it should now be able to play back Vimeo videos with ease.
However, just in case issues persists with Vimeo, there is something more advanced that you might pursue with your Firefox browser.
- Launch Firefox and type about:config in the address bar. Press enter to launch the config page.
- There will be a warning message shown stating This might void your warranty! Plus, there is going to be the other usual cautionary stuff as well. Nonetheless, click on the I accept the risk! button.
- From the page load of files shows, locate media.autoplay.enabled. Check whether its boolean value is set to True. If not, double click on it to toggle the value to True.
- Next, right-click on the preference (media.autoplay.enabled) and select New > Boolean. A New Boolean Value pop-up shows. Enter media.autoplay.enabled.nppl3260.dll and click OK.
- In the next pop-up that shows, select False as the value and select OK.
- Re-start Firefox. You should be able to view Vimeo videos with the lest of fuss.
Fix Vimeo issues on Chrome
- Clear browser cache: To do this, launch Chrome and click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Select More tools > Clear browsing data.
- You will be shown the Clear browsing data pop-up. Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files. Select the time range accordingly and click on Clear Data.
- Re-start Chrome and you should not have any issues watching Vimeo videos any more.
However, here is yet another method to try if you continue to have issues with Vimeo in Chrome browser.
- Launch Chrome and click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Select Settings. In the Setting page that opens, click on Advanced tab at the bottom.
- Scroll down to the System section and toggle the Use hardware acceleration when available to Off.
- Re-start Chrome and check, you Vimeo videos should play just fine.
Fix Vimeo problems on Internet Explorer
Clear browser cache
Launch Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon towards the top right corner.
- Select Safety > Delete browsing history.
- In the Delete Browsing History window, checkmark Temporary Internet files and Cookies. Click on Delete button at the bottom.
- There will be a confirmatory message shown at the bottom once the deletion process is complete.
- Check if Vimeo is playing fine in IE. If it isn’t, here is a more thorough procedure to clear cache.
Note: The process is applicable to only IE 10 and below.
- Click on the gear icon as before and select F12 developer tools.
- In the Developer Tools window that shows up, click on Cache > Clear browser cache.
- There is going to be a pop-up seeking your confirmation. Click on yes.
- Just in case if you are still having trouble viewing Vimeo in IE, here is something that you can try.
- Click on the gear ion at the top right corner followed by Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Check mark the first option, that is Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Close IE and re-start your PC for the change to take affect.
You should have no issues viewing Vimeo on Internet Explorer any more.
Meanwhile, here are some additional resources that might be of interest to you:
- How to Fix Video Player Problems in Windows 10, 8.1, 8
- How to fix video streaming problems in Windows 10
- How to fix all corrupted video files on your Windows PC
Many users reported that Gmail is not receiving Yahoo mail on their PC. This can be a big problem especially if you’re waiting for a […]