- Bookmarks are an essential part of every browser, but many users reported that Chrome bookmarks are duplicating.
- The simplest way to fix this issue is to switch to a different browser. No worries, you can still import your Chrome bookmarks.
- Alternatively, you might want to remove your data and sync it again to fix this issue.
- In case bookmarks are not showing up in Chrome, the Chrome installation might be damaged, so you’ll need to fix it.
Bookmarks are useful since they allow you to save your favorite websites, however, sometimes issues with Chrome bookmarks can occur. These issues can prevent you from opening or creating new bookmarks, so today we’re going to show you how to fix them.
Bookmarks can be quite useful, but sometimes issues with bookmarks in Chrome can appear. Speaking of issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Chrome bookmarks duplicating, multiplying – This is a relatively common problem in Google Chrome. To fix this issue, it’s advised that you temporarily disable syncing and then turn it back on.
- Chrome bookmarks not syncing, showing, working – These are some common problems that can appear with Google Chrome. To fix these issues, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Chrome bookmarks won’t delete – Sometimes you might not be able to delete Chrome bookmarks on your PC. If that happens, reset Chrome or reinstall it.
Chrome bookmarks issues, how to fix them?
- Create a new bookmark and move it to the desired location
- Consider switching to a different browser
- Reinstall Chrome
- Check your antivirus
- Make sure that bookmark syncing is enabled
- Sign out and back into your Google account
- Clear your cache
- Disable extensions
- Update Google Chrome
- Reset Google Chrome
1. Create a new bookmark and move it to the desired location
Some users reported that they are unable to open their bookmarks. It seems that an invisible window appears when they try to open or edit their bookmarks.
To fix this issue, users are suggesting to recreate your bookmarks and then move them to the desired location.
This isn’t the most effective solution, but it can be helpful if Chrome bookmarks are not saving.
2. Consider switching to a different browser
If Chrome bookmarks are duplicating, then you should consider using a different browser, and import your bookmarks into it.
One good alternative for Google Chrome in terms of bookmarking capabilities is Opera. This browser is fast, efficient, lightweight has extensive add-on support, and the footprint it leaves on your PC’s memory is nest-to-nonexistent.
Once you install it, you will be asked whether to make it your default browser and if you want to import and bookmarks and info from your other browsers.
Even if you choose not to, you can easily do this later by visiting the Settings menu later and do it from there.
OperaEnjoy all of your Chrome bookmarks within a faster and overall-better alternative, in the form of the Opera Browser.
3. Reinstall Chrome
If bookmarks are not showing up in Chrome, perhaps the issue is related to your installation of Chrome.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you reinstall Chrome and check if that solves the problem. There are several ways to do that, but the most effective one is to use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller.
This software not only will remove the program, but also all its registry entries and leftovers. This is very helpful, especially considering that these leftovers might interfere with your system later.
4. Check your antivirus
If you’re wondering why your bookmarks are not showing up, the answer might be related to your antivirus software.
Having a good antivirus is important, but sometimes your antivirus can interfere with Chrome and cause various issues to appear. To fix the problem, it’s advised to check your antivirus settings and temporarily disable certain features.
If that doesn’t work, try disabling your antivirus altogether. In the worst case scenario, you might have to remove your antivirus. Even if you decide to do so, you’ll still be protected by Windows Defender, so there’s no need to worry about your safety.
Once you remove your antivirus, check if the problem is still there. If the issue is resolved, perhaps you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
If you need a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with your system, you should consider trying out Bitdefender.
5. Make sure that bookmark syncing is enabled
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Settings from the menu.
- Now select Sync.
- Check Sync everything or Bookmarks.
After doing that, restart Google Chrome and check if the problem is resolved.
Sometimes Chrome bookmarks are not saving simply because bookmark syncing isn’t enabled. This can be a problem, but you can fix it simply by enabling bookmark synchronization in the browser.
6. Sign out and back into your Google account
- Open the Settings tab.
- Locate your user account and click the Sign out button.
- Restart your browser and repeat these steps to sign back in.
Once you sign back in, check if the problem is still there.
As you know, Chrome bookmarks are linked with your Google account, but if there’s an issue with your Google account, your bookmarks won’t be showing up in Chrome.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to sign out of your Google account and then sign back in again.
7. Clear your cache
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and select Settings from the menu.
- A Settings tab should now open. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Advanced.
- Now choose Clear browsing data.
- Set the Time range to All time and click the Clear data button. Make sure that you don’t select Bookmarks unless you have syncing enabled.
After clearing the cache, restart your browser and check if the issue with bookmarks is still there.
If your Chrome bookmarks are duplicating the issue can be caused by cache. To fix this problem, users are advising to clear your cache.
Sometimes the cache can get corrupted, and that can lead to various issues with bookmarks. However, you can fix the problem simply by clearing the cache.
8. Disable extensions
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose More tools > Extensions from the menu.
- You should now see a list of all installed extensions. Click the switch next to the extension’s name to disable it. Do this for all available extensions.
- Once you disable all extensions, restart the browser and check if the problem is still there.
If the issue doesn’t appear after disabling your extensions, you might want to try enabling extensions one by one in order to pinpoint the problem. Once you find the extension that is causing this issue, remove it or keep it disabled.
According to users, sometimes extensions can cause problems with Chrome bookmarks.
Many users use various extensions in order to enhance browser functionality, but sometimes certain extensions can prevent Chrome bookmarks from saving.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to disable all your extensions and check if that solves the problem.
9. Update Google Chrome
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear. From there you should be able to see the current version of Chrome that you’re using and check for updates.
After updates are installed, restart Chrome and check if the problem is still there.
If bookmarks are not showing up in Chrome, it’s possible that you have a problem with your current version of Chrome.
To fix any potential issues, it’s advised to keep your installation up to date. For the most part, Google Chrome installs the missing updates automatically.
10. Reset Google Chrome
- Open the Settings tab in Chrome. Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced.
- Now click the Reset settings in Reset and clean up section.
- Click the Reset button to confirm.
Now wait for the process to finish. Once everything is done, Chrome will reset to the default and the problem should be resolved. Try creating new bookmarks or import your old bookmarks and check if everything is working properly.
If Chrome bookmarks are duplicating, the issue can be related to your settings. Sometimes certain settings can interfere with your bookmarks, and the only way to fix this issue is to reset Chrome to the default.
We have to mention that this method will remove your bookmarks, so you might want to export them or sync them before proceeding. To reset Chrome, do the following:
Using the uninstaller software you’ll completely remove Chrome as well as all its files and registry entries. Once you remove Chrome, install the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
Alternatively, you can try using Beta or the Canary version of Chrome. These are experimental versions of Chrome, but they have the latest updates installed, so they might help you with this problem.
Bookmarks are an important part of the browsing experience, and if you’re having problems with Chrome bookmarks, be sure to try some of our solutions and check if that solves your problem.
The fixes mentioned above also apply if you were looking for the following topics:
- Chrome not saving bookmarks – Users have reported that their web browser refuses to save anything they bookmark.
- Bookmarks not saving in Chrome – Users reported that they only have bookmark saving issues with Google Chrome.
- Bookmarks not showing in Chrome – This happens when users notice that their Chrome bookmark list is empty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Follow this guide with you want to import your Chrome bookmarks into Firefox.
If you want to import IE bookmarks into Chrome, follow this guide.
Bookmark transfer between OSes is possible. For example, follow this guide to transfer bookmarks between Windows 7 and Windows 10.