- Running an operating system inside another one can be done with virtualization software such as VirtualBox, which is free to download and use.
- If you are having trouble installing it there are three easy steps to make it run safely.
- When this happens, one of the most typical problems is that the antivirus prevents the software from operating correctly.
- If VirtualBox does not respond adequately, another excellent solution is to use an alternative program to create several virtual environments.
VirtualBox allows the users to run Windows 10 as a host. While the installation of VirtualBox is a straightforward affair at times you may face difficulty while installing the VirtualBox on Windows 10. Users have reported that while installing VirtualBox, the installation fails with the Installation failed! Error: Fatal error during installation message.
We found a few reports about the error online.
I get a “Fatal Error” when installing Vbox 5.1.22 on windows 10 please help I have tried everything.
Windows 10 version 1703
Intel Core i3
Follow the solutions below to fix the error.
How to fix the Virtualbox Installation failed fatal error in Windows 10?
1. Run VirtualBox Installer as Admin
- Locate the directory where the VirtualBox installer is saved.
- Right-click on the Installer and select Run as administrator.
- When the UAC prompts appear, click on Yes to proceed.
- Proceed with the on-screen instructions and check if the error is resolved.
2. Disable Antivirus
- Try to disable your third-party Antivirus security temporarily
- Install VirtualBox after disabling the antivirus
- Re-enable the Antivirus after the VirtualBox is successfully installed
If necessary, also disable Windows Real-Time Network Protection from the settings. To do this:
- Open Start and search for Windows Security
- Select Virus & threat protection
- Click on Manage settings
- Turn off the Real-time protection toggle switch
3. Run Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter
- Go to Microsoft Program install troubleshooter page and click on the Download button.
- Run the Microsoft Program Install Troubleshooter tool and click on next.
- In the Are you having a problem installing or uninstalling a program screen, select Installing.
- The tool will scan the system for the problems and recommend appropriate action.
- After the fix is applied, reboot the system and check for any improvements.
4. Use alternative software
Another solution would be to try an alternative program that allows you to create multiple virtual environments on a single device or server.
VMware is an advanced tool with robust capabilities that enable you to deploy Kubernetes environments on the Desktop and run/build/push/pull OCI Containers with vctl among other things. It has a customizable interface and supports the latest Windows 10 updates.
VirtualBox-related issues mostly are caused by the old VirtualBox entries or MSI installer problems. Make sure you also Run the MSI repair tool to fix the issue.
For other guides related to this software, check out the Virtualbox section on our site.
Visit Windows 10 Troubleshooting Hub for articles with complete step-by-step instructions on dealing with various errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you uninstall VirtualBox using the standard Windows Installer program, your virtual machines will remain untouched. You can safely remove and reinstall VirtualBox, just as described in this article.
If, during install, you haven’t changed the default path, then VirtualBox will be found in C:Program FilesOracleVirtualBox folder.
It is completely safe to use. Even if the guest operating system gets infected, because it runs in an isolated space, your host computer and OS will not be infected. You can install a good antivirus to be on the safe side.