- Running an operating system inside another one can be done with virtualization software such as VirtualBox, which is free to download and use.
- If you are having troubles installing it here's what you need to do: install as admin, disable anti-virus during install, update drivers or run the troubleshooter.
- For other guides related to this software, check out the Virtualbox section on our site.
- Visit Windows 10 Troubleshooting Hub for articles with complete step by step instructions on dealing with various errors.
VirtualBox allows the users to run Windows 10 as a host. While the installation of VirtualBox is a straightforward affair at times you may face difficulty while installing the VirtualBox on Windows 10. Users have reported that while installing VirtualBox, the installation fails with the Installation failed! Error: Fatal error during installation message.
We found a few reports about the error online.
I get a “Fatal Error” when installing Vbox 5.1.22 on windows 10 please help I have tried everything.
Windows 10 version 1703
Intel Core i3
Follow the solutions below to fix the error.
How to fix the Virtualbox Installation failed fatal error in Windows 10?
1. Run VirtualBox Installer as Admin
- Locate the directory where the VirtualBox installer is saved.
- Right-click on the Installer and select Run as administrator.
- When the UAC prompts appear, click on Yes to proceed.
- Proceed with the on-screen instructions and check if the error is resolved.
2. Use Third-Party Uninstallers
- Download CCleaner latest version and launch it.
- Click on the Easy Clean tab and select Analyze.
- CCleaner will scan the system for tracker as well as Junk files.
- Click on Clean All button to delete any leftover after uninstalling VirtualBox.
- Reboot the system and run the VirtualBox installer as Admin.
CCleanerCleanup after you uninstall VirtualBox
3. Disable Antivirus
- Try to disable your Antivirus security temporarily. Malwarebytes and other security programs allow you to disable the Real-time protection temporarily.
- Install VirtualBox after disabling the antivirus.
- Re-enable the Antivirus after the VirtualBox is successfully installed. If necessary, also disable Windows Real-Time Network Protection from the settings.
If you don’t use Malwarebytes, we highly recommend it. It is one of the best anti-malware solutions out there right now.
4. Run Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter
- Go to Microsoft Program install troubleshooter page and click on the Download button.
- Run the Microsoft Program Install Troubleshooter tool and click on next.
- In the Are you having a problem installing or uninstalling a program screen, select Installing.
- The tool will scan the system for the problems and recommend appropriate action.
- After the fix is applied, reboot the system and check for any improvements.
VirtualBox related issues mostly are caused by the old VirtualBox entries or MSI installer problem. Make sure you also Run the MSI repair tool to fix the issue.
FAQ: Learn more about VirtualBox installation errors
- Does uninstalling VirtualBox remove virtual machines?
If you uninstall VirtualBox using the standard Windows Installer program, your virtual machines will remain untouched. You can safely remove and reinstall VirtualBox, just as described in this article.
- Where is VirtualBox installed?
If during install, you haven’t changed the default path, then VirtualBox will be found in
- Is VirtualBox safe?
It is completely safe to use. Even if the guest operating system gets infected, because it runs in an isolated space, your host computer and OS will not be infected. You can install a good antivirus to be on the safe side.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.