- Vivaldi is a web browser much appreciated for its features, but can sometimes run slow.
- In this article, we'll show you how to speed up Vivaldi in a few easy steps.
- More guides and tutorials on popular browsers can be found in our Browsers Hub.
- Check out the Optimization section to learn how to improve performance for more apps.
Vivaldi is a freeware web browser that supports multiple platforms and is based on Chromium. The browser, however, sometimes runs into some slight performance issues.
For instance, users report a delay when opening or switching to another tab.
Thankfully, there are a few workarounds that you can perform to speed up the browser‘s performance.
How can I improve Vivaldi’s browsing performance?
1. Try an alternative browser
If you don’t want to go through the two troubleshooting steps, you can simply switch to a different browser with less to zero performance issues.
You can download Opera using the button below (it only takes a couple of minutes). The process of transferring your data from the current browser to OPera is similarly easy.
To complete the transition aspect, you’ll find a Synchronization option in Opera’s Settings area. This allows you to import bookmarks, pages, and other data from your default browser.
The transfer time is extremely short. Further on, you can continue to customize the browser to your needs, by adding icons, sidebars, workspaces, and other extensions.
If you're looking for a fast and customizable browser with minimum impact on your OS, Opera is the answer.
If you prefer to keep using Vivaldi, then start by tweaking some settings.
One reason for the browser’s slow pace can be an opened settings page (vivaldi://settings/all/). Normally, your first stop is in the settings tab as you might want to make some changes to the browser before using it.
Once you finish customizing the browser, make sure to close the settings page. Otherwise, Vivaldi will delay other browser activities.
3. Modify or disable browser functions
- Go to vivaldi://settings/startup/ and set the New Tab page to specific pages without actually assigning a certain URL to the field.
- In the same page, enable the Lazy Load Restored Tabs option if you previously configured the browser to load the last session upon startup.
- Go to vivaldi://settings/appearance/ and uncheck the Use Animation and Use Buttons in Range Controls boxes.
- Then, in vivaldi://settings/start-page/ uncheck the Show Background Image box.
- Next, in vivaldi://settings/tabs/ uncheck the following options under the tabs menu: Show Popup Thumbnails, Show Tab Thumbnails, Detect Page Title Notifications, and Use Unread Indicators.
- In vivaldi://settings/addressbar/ uncheck Fast Forward and Rewind.
- Last, go to vivaldi://settings/mouse/ and uncheck the Allow Gestures and Allow Rocker Gestures boxes.
If you cannot live without all of the features of the browser, do not perform the mentioned changes.
However, you may choose to do away with some to increase the speed of Vivaldi. Extensions can also slow down your browser, so you may want to disable some of them, as mentioned.
Do you know any other methods to speed up Vivaldi? Share them with us in the comments!