- When it comes to webcams, security is often ignored even by some well-respected producers.
- The best webcam protection tools you may try out are SpyShelter, Bitdefender, and Safetized.
- For similar software solutions as the ones detailed below, also visit our Cybersecurity section.
- Don't be reckless when it comes to your private life and learn the latest tips you may apply from this Security & Privacy Software Hub.
Webcams allow us to easily communicate with our family and friends, interview people from another corner of the world and even do business.
Unfortunately, hackers can use the cameras integrated into our laptops and desktop computers to sneak into our own private world and capture highly sensitive images and videos. Spooky, isn’t it?
It’s not surprising that people such as NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, FBI Director James Comey, and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg cover up their webcams to protect their privacy.
The question is: should we do the same? And what are our options to make our webcams more secure?
How to protect your webcam against hackers?
- Cover it up — here are some of the best webcam covers can you can buy.
- Close your laptop or shut down your PC when you are not using it.
- Turn ON the Led notification light — some webcams come with LED notification lights that turn on when the camera is active. This makes it a lot easier to spot if someone is using the camera without your knowledge.
- Change the default admin and password if you are using a standalone webcam.
- Update your web camera’s firmware.
- Use firewalls — here are some of the best firewalls that you can use on Windows 10.
- Scan your PC regularly to detect and remove potential threats.
- Use specialized webcam protection software.
What’s the best webcam protection software?
SpyShelter is currently the best anti-keylogger and web protection software. It can prevent custom or commercial keyloggers in real-time keeping your computer safe and clean.
As SpyShelter does not rely on any of the fingerprints databases, you will be safe from malware zero-day.
Even more, it understands how malware works and does not rely on any antivirus databases either.
No web scams or any other threat will put in danger your web camera usage. You can feel free to not physically cover it because it is not possible to have problems with that on Spy Shelter’s guard.
You will not feel any pressure on your PC resources while using because SpyShelter is heavily optimized. You can do whatever you want – it will not slow down your system.
SpyShelterSpyShelter is the most powerful webcam protection software you can find today. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!
Bitdefender also includes a webcam antispy designed to counter any potential cyber-attacks involving your camera.
To be more precise, the Bitdefender Video & Audio Protection can keep you safe from any extortion attempts using sensitive data.
The Webcam Protection feature continuously monitors apps that try to access your camera and sends you a notification regarding any attempt to gain access to your camera.
Some Bitdefender key features you’ll most likely appreciate:
- It can completely restrict access to the webcam
- Sends notifications even when allowed applications try to connect
- It blocks browsers’ access to the webcam
- Popular app considered dangerous by users are automatically set on Blocked
- Useful Autopilot feature included
BitdefenderBitdefender will send you a notification when any untrusted app attempts to gain access to your camera. Claim the best deal right away!
This feature is called Webcam Shield, and it prevents applications and malware from accessing your PC’s webcam without your consent, and will even notify you when attempts are made.
Thanks to this great feature, untrusted applications can not capture images or videos and send the content outside of your PC without you knowing.
Webcam Shield is enabled by default s webcam protection starts from the moment you install Avast ANtivirus. That being the case, get Avast right now!
Avast AntivirusThis ultra-powerful antivirus tool also comes with a webcam protection feature called Webcam Shield to further ensure your privacy.
This tool will prevent hackers and watchdogs from secretly watching, listening to you, and recording your activity via your webcam and your built-in PC microphone.
You can now protect your webcam privacy with just one click as the software offers you the possibility to prevent your webcam from hacking attempts coming from Internet predators, hackers, and more.
The tool will protect your vulnerable video and audio ports. The compatible operating systems are Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10.
Did you know that someone could be secretly watching you or your kid through your webcam as we speak? Is it worth taking such a risk?
The software prevents sexual predators, hackers, and others from remotely controlling your webcam and watching you and your family without your consent.
It protects your webcam, and it always warns you when it is in use. The compatible operating systems are Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8/10.
It is imperative that you don’t freak out because even if there is a possibility that your webcam could get hacked, it doesn’t necessarily mean that this is going to happen.
Since prevention is better than cure, don’t forget to install one of the software listed above to protect your webcam privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, hackers can and frequently use malware to access your webcam.
Webcam malware tools are those designed to specifically target webcams and allow hackers to keep an eye on their victims secretly.
Among the best-known programs remains Blackshades which is a remote access Trojan that allows hackers to take control over the users’ webcams.
This solution is not very practical. You may instead use dedicated webcam protection software tools such as SpyShelter and Bitdefender.