Windows 10 build 15042 further improves Edge: Here’s what’s new
Microsoft recently rolled out a new Windows 10 build to keep Insiders busy over the weekend. Windows 10 build 15042 brings a new Cortana animation, a new dialog in the URL bar to let users know when Flash content has been blocked, as well as an improved PDF reading experience in Microsoft Edge.
The update also brings a very long list of bug fixes, making the OS more reliable. Windows 10 build 15042 also removes both the Insider watermark and the expiration date, signaling that Microsoft is preparing to complete this OS version.
Windows 10 build 15042 bug fixes and improvements on PC
- You should no longer see “Initializing…” when attempting to download new builds.
- The download progress indicator shown when downloading new builds under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update should be working as expected and it should no longer appear you are getting stuck at 0% or at other percentages.
- Microsoft fixed the issue causing the Settings app to crash when navigating to Settings > Devices. You should now be able to pair a Bluetooth device without any issue.
- You should be able to launch the Connect UX via Action Center, Win + K, or Settings again.
The issue where the text “Some Settings are managed by your organization” even though the PC wasn’t being managed by an organization has been fixed.
- The Action Center no longer appears blank and transparent without color.
- Upgrading with an Xbox controller paired over Bluetooth no longer results in touch input not working and unexpected beeps when using the mouse.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where certain devices on recent builds where resuming from hibernation could result in a bug check.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where sometimes a single notification toast might not pop up, only to be unexpectedly found duplicated in the Action Center.
- PCs with older graphics chipsets should no longer display white or colored boxes in the place of text and some UI elements in UWP apps.
- If you right-click an app suggestion in Share, you’ll now find a context menu option to turn them off.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where ink would go under the Windows Ink protractor when inking with the highlighter.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where the first ink stroke into the Windows Ink Workspace Sketchpad wouldn’t enable the clear all button.
- The sample ink stroke seen in the Windows Ink pen, pencil and highlighter flyout no longer appears to blink when the flyout is first opened.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where explorer.exe might crash the first time an ISO file is double-clicked.
- Microsoft fixed an issue from the last flight where if the gateway host name was of the form [ipv6address]::port, Remote Desktop couldn’t connect to the gateway.
- The issue where the bug check screen on high resolution displays wasn’t rendering the “Frowny” part of the frowny face has been fixed.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where night light might not turn on/off automatically if the device was asleep at the time at which the night light state was scheduled to change.
- The night light on/off animation’s duration has been increased to 2 minutes.
Microsoft Edge fixes and improvements
Windows 10 build 15042 brings 13 bug fixes and improvements for Microsoft Edge. Here they are:
- We fixed an issue where items displayed in the autocomplete dropdown when filling form fields in Microsoft Edge would not insert when clicked.
- We fixed an issue resulting in images unexpectedly being missing from certain PDFs when viewed in Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue resulting in web notifications not launching the associated website in Microsoft Edge after being clicked.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights resulting in some downloads from Microsoft Edge unexpectedly getting stuck in the “Waiting to download” state.
- We fixed an issue where the calculator button on the keyboard wouldn’t work if Microsoft Edge was in focus.
- We also fixed an issue where Win + Shift + left/right arrow wouldn’t work on Microsoft Edge after selecting text on the open website.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Alt + C with text selected in Microsoft Edge didn’t open the Cortana pane on recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge not being able to open the file:// protocol with the AdBlock Plus extension enabled.
- We fixed an issue where in Microsoft Edge, if you were already on a website associated with an app, clicking a link on that website to go somewhere else on the website’s domain would unexpectedly launch the associated app.
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to insert words into certain text fields in Microsoft Edge when using the handwriting panel to enter text.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the password placeholder text being unexpectedly shifted down in certain password text fields in Microsoft Edge.
- The new Share icon is now visible in Microsoft Edge and the Windows Ink Workspace Sketchpad and Screen Sketch.
- Microsoft Edge’s “Inspect Element” and “View Source” options should launch correctly to the DOM Explorer and Debugger, respectively.
Have you installed build 15042 on your computer? What other changes have you noticed?
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Creators Update to be followed by another update this year
- Windows 10 Creators Update will add advanced Bitcoin support to Excel
- Windows 10 build won’t install: Here’s what you need to do
This month’s Patch Tuesday updates didn’t go well for all Windows 10 users. Some patches came with a series of bugs of their own. Microsoft […]
Microsoft recently offered users the solution to fix a major security-related bug in Windows 10 cumulative update KB4497936. The company released this update to both […]