Fix: Windows 10 Laptop Doesn’t Recognize Lumia Smartphone
We transfer files from our laptops and computers to smartphones all the time, but according to some users they are unable to transfer files because Windows 10 laptop can’t recognize Lumia smartphone. So what can we do to fix that?
Users report that their Lumia smartphone isn’t recognized when they connect it to their laptop. To make things even more complicated their smartphone isn’t recognized when they connect it to a different computer, so it seems that this issue is related to Lumia smartphone and not their laptop.
What To Do When Lumia Smartphone Isn’t Recognized By Your Laptop?
Sometimes your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia devices, and that can be an annoying problem. Speaking of issues, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- Windows phone 10 not connecting to PC – This problem can occur due to various reasons, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to temporarily disable your antivirus and check if that helps.
- Windows phone not detected in Windows 10 – Sometimes this problem can appear due to your drivers. To fix this issue, you just have to reinstall the phone’s drivers.
- Windows phone charging but not connecting to PC – In some cases, your phone might not be connecting properly to your PC. If this happens, be sure to perform a soft reset and see if that fixes the problem.
- PC doesn’t recognize Nokia Lumia – Sometimes your PC won’t be able to recognize Nokia Lumia at all. If that happens, update both Windows and system on your phone to the latest version to fix the issue.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
If your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone, the issue might be your antivirus. Many antivirus applications are designed to scan any USB devices that you attach to your PC, and in some instances an antivirus can block your USB device.
To fix this problem, open your antivirus and make sure that USB devices aren’t scanned or blocked. In addition, you might want to try disabling other features or even disable your antivirus altogether. If that doesn’t solve the problem, you might have to uninstall your antivirus.
Certain antivirus tools can interfere with your system, and the only way to fix the problem is to remove that antivirus. Once you remove your antivirus, check if the problem is still there. If not, it’s advised that you switch to a different antivirus solution.
Keeping your PC safe is quite important, and if you want an antivirus that will provide maximum protection without interfering with your system, you should consider using BullGuard.
Solution 2 – Turn Xbox Music Cloud Collection off
According to users, if your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia, the issue might be your Xbox Music Cloud Collection. To fix this problem, you just need to turn this feature off by doing the following:
- Go to Music +Video app on your phone.
- Choose Settings.
- Turn off Xbox Music Cloud Collection.
- Reconnect your Lumia smartphone to your computer.
Once this feature is disabled, your laptop should be able to recognize Lumia without any issues.
Solution 3 – Change General settings of your USB device
In some cases, you might be able to fix this issue simply by changing the general settings of your USB device. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Make sure that your Lumia smartphone is connected.
- In the bottom right corner on your Taskbar there should be USB icon. Click it.
- From the menu choose Open devices and printers.
- You should see Lumia device icon. Double click it.
- On the right side you should see Change General settings.
- Click on the drop-down box and select When this device connects open Windows Explorer to view files.
- Click OK.
- Disconnect your phone, restart your computer.
- When your computer boots connect your phone to see if it works.
After making these changes, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 4 – Reinstall Lumia USB driver
Sometimes your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone because there’s an issue with your Lumia driver. To fix this problem, it’s required that you reinstall the Lumia driver on your PC. You can do that by following these steps:
- Make sure that your phone isn’t connected to your computer.
- Open Device Manager. You can open it by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Device Manager from the menu.
- Go to View > Show hidden devices.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Devices.
- Locate Lumia USB driver and right click it.
- Choose Uninstall device.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, click Uninstall.
- After you’ve uninstalled that driver restart your computer.
- Connect your Lumia device, wait for the driver to install and check to see if the issue is resolved.
As you can see, sometimes this issue can occur if there’s a glitch with your drivers, but by reinstalling the Lumia driver, the issue should be completely resolved.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Lumia hotspot not working
Solution 5 – Perform a soft reset
To perform a soft reset on Lumia, you just need to press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button for 3-5 seconds. After doing that, your phone will perform a soft reset and it should be recognized by your laptop.
Some users are suggesting that you can perform a soft reset simply by holding the Power button for about 10 seconds, so you can try that as well. The process might be slightly different for different Lumia models, so we suggest that you check your instruction manual for detailed information.
Solution 6 – Turn off and turn on your phone while it’s connected to your computer
If your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia, you might be able to fix this issue simply by turning the phone on and off while it’s connected to your PC. After your phone starts, it should be detected by the PC automatically.
Solution 7 – Install Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10
In case your Laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone, the issue might be the lack of Media Feature Pack. In case you don’t know, European and Korean versions of Windows 10 lack certain media features, and if you’re using one of these versions, you most likely don’t have these features installed.
Due to lack of Media Feature Pack, your PC might not be able to recognize your phone. Although this can be a big problem, you can easily fix it simply by downloading Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10.
After you download and install Media Feature Pack, the issue with your phone should be completely resolved.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Wi-Fi not working on Lumia 535
Solution 8 – Replace your charging cable
According to users, one possible cause for this problem can be your charging cable. USB cables can break after a while, so if your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone, it’s possible that your cable is broken.
To fix this issue, the simplest solution is to get just a different USB cable. It’s also worth mentioning that there are two types of USB cables, and sometimes you might get a USB cable that is designed just for charging.
To ensure that your Lumia works with your laptop, be sure to get a USB cable designed for both charging and data transfer.
Solution 9 – Install the latest updates
If your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone, the issue might be a bug in Windows 10. Microsoft is working hard on Windows 10, and it’s frequently releasing new updates. To ensure that your system is bug-free, it’s advised to update Windows 10 to the latest version.
Windows 10 does that automatically for the most part, but you can always check for updates manually if you want. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. To do that quickly just press Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, go to the Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them automatically in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, restart your PC to install them. After your system is up to date, the problem with Lumia should be resolved.
In addition to updating Windows 10, it’s also important to update the system on your phone. Once you update the system to the latest version, check if the issue is still there.
If your laptop doesn’t recognize Lumia smartphone, that can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix this annoying issue by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Lumia Icon can’t roll back to Windows 8.1
- Fix: Lumia 950 Restarts During Calls
- Fix: No Ringtone Sound on Lumia 635
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]