For those of you that don’t know, the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) is a security utility that runs only once per major Windows update to check your computer for malicious software. This tool gets a new update every month, containing the latest security features every time.
Since the November 2019 Patch Tuesday updates are here, the MSRT has received a new update as well.
The problem is that as with all updates, things don’t always go smoothly. This time users reported that they are having problems installing the latest version of the MSRT:
3 of my 64-bit W7 OSes can’t download it to install. Other monthly huge update package was fine in all.
In this particular case, it seems that the issue only affects Windows 7 systems running on 64 bits.
How do I solve the MSRT issue on my Windows 10 PC?
This solution involves downloading the delta patch of the MSRT from the Update Catalog.
- Go to the Update Catalog
- Select the x64 for Windows 10 version
- This step depends on the type of OS you are having the MSRT issue on. If the problem occurs on Windows 7, you’ll have to download the x64 or x32 version for Windows 7.
- Download the file and save it somewhere easy to access
- Double-click it to start the installation process
- It should update the version of mrt.exe on your machine to 5.77.16547.2
- Perform a default Quick Scan
- Reboot the computer
- Check Windows Updates again
By following these steps, you should be able to get rid of any MSRT-related issues.
Additionally, you should go ahead and install the Windows 10 November 2019 Update. While this issue seems to be quite common, those that have successfully managed to install Windows v1909 have gotten rid of it.
Microsoft recently released Windows v1909 and it is available for everyone to download. If you don’t know how to install the latest update, check out this article for a step-by-step guide.
As for the use of the MSRT, keep in mind that it cannot replace an actual antivirus program. For full protection, you need to download an actual antivirus product.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT: