Windows 10 Preview build 14393 now available for Insiders on the Fast Ring
Microsoft released a new build for Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Mobile Insiders yesterday. Just like all newer releases, build 14393 doesn’t introduce any new features but instead fixes some issues in both versions of the system. If you follow what’s going on at Microsoft and Windows 10, you’re probably not surprised by the lack of new features with the Anniversary Update near and Redmond needing to polish it before release.
Even when it comes to bug fixes and improvements, build 14393 actually doesn’t enhance many aspects of the system like in previous builds. Additionally, the build also doesn’t have a lot of its own known issues, which indicates that the Anniversary Update is indeed near. Because all of that, a lot of people actually think this build could be the RTM release, which is completely reasonable to think.
Here’s what Microsoft fixed in Windows 10 Preview build 14393:
Improvements and fixes for PC
- We have improved the reliability of Start, Cortana, and Action Center.
- You should now be able to mount iPods as USB mass-storage devices.
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed an issue resulting in rapid battery drain when Visual Voicemail syncs voicemail messages on Dual SIM devices like the Lumia 950 XL.
- We also fixed an issue causing some battery drain on older devices like the Lumia 535, 640, 735, 830, 930 and Icon.
- We fixed the issue causing Voice Recorder to not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. A app update was released last Friday that fixes this issue. Make sure you have the app version 10.1607.1931.0.
- We fixed several issues impacting Dual SIM capabilities. Using a device with two SIMs should work as it should.”
Here are the known issues in build 14393:
Known issues for PC
- We are aware of certain cases in which Surface Books and Surface Pro 4’s may bugcheck (bluescreen) due to a camera driver issue. An updated driver will roll-out via Windows Update soon that will fix this.
Known issues for Mobile
- We are continuing to investigate W-Fi issues on certain devices.
- Turning off Bluetooth can sometimes result in freeze, crash, or reset. See this forum post for more details.
- Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked. A fix for this will come as a Wallet app update via the Store.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds. We will stop noting this going forward.”
Of course, users are most likely experiencing even more issues in this build than Microsoft originally revealed. So, we’re going to write our round-up article with all the problems in Windows 10 Preview build 14393 as reported by actual users to let you know what to expect.
If you already installed build 14393 and encountered some problems that Microsoft hasn’t listed as a ‘known issue,’ feel free to let us know in the comments so we can include it in our report.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Turning off Bluetooth in Windows 10 Mobile build freezes, crashes, or resets your phone
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update’s BSOD QR codes can be a security risk
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update overhauls Tablet Mode
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update further updates the Start Menu
Windows 10 is an amazing platform, but sometimes you won’t be able to access certain files due to PC has blocked access to this file error. […]
Being one of the most popular brands of embroidery machines on the market, Brother is an incredibly user-friendly machine that can give you the possibility […]
For the proper functioning of the audio and speakers of your computer, Windows requires Sound Drivers. While the Sound Drivers are generally unaffected by anything, […]