Windows 10 Redstone Build 14257: New Features and Fixed Bugs
Microsoft just started to rollout the new Windows 10 Preview build 14257 to Insiders on the Fast ring. With the release of this build, Microsoft continues to stick with its announced strategy to deliver Windows 10 Preview builds faster, as this build is released only six days after the previous Windows 10 Preview build (14251).
The head of the Insider Program, Gabe Aul, said in his official blog post, that Microsoft’s development team is working hard to prepare future Windows 10 Preview builds for the long-awaited new features. However, there are still no many visible changes in Windows 10 Preview build 14257, but it includes a lot of bug fixes and system improvements. So, if everything goes by the plan, we should finally see the first Redstone features in the coming Windows 10 Preview builds.
Windows 10 Preview Build 14257 new Features
Microsoft revealed which bugs have been fixed in the latest Windows 10 Preview build, and here’s the full list of known improvements:
- The issue of periodic app crashes or other memory related app errors due to a memory management change has been resolved. If you were having issues launching the Git client for Windows, you should now be able to launch it in this build.
- The Connect button now shows up again in Action Center.
- F12 Developer Tools will now load correctly Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue where suggested apps were being shown on the Start menu even though “Occasionally show suggestions in Start” was turned off under Settings > Personalization > Start.
- We fixed an issue where if you try to change the Lock screen picture with “Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen” turned on it will revert back to the default.
- We fixed an issue where the positions of desktop icons get jumbled up after switching DPI settings from 100% to 150% or 175%.
- We also fixed an issue where pasting files into a new .zip file (compressed folder) in File Explorer by either right-clicking or Control-V would not work. You should be able to paste tiles into new .zip files just fine now.
Windows 10 Preview Build 14257 Issues
On the other, this build also brings a lot of issues to Windows 10 Preview users, so Microsoft also provided a list of all known issues, that come along with the latest build:
- If you choose “Reset This PC” under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery – your PC will be in an unusable state. There is no workaround if your PC gets into this state and you will need to reinstall Windows. This issue will be fixed in the next build. You can still rollback to the previous build if for some reason this build doesn’t work out for you. This bug also existed in Build 14251 so please avoid resetting your PC on these builds.
- You might see a WSClient.dll error dialog after logging in. We’re working on a fix for this but as a workaround, you can run the following in Command Prompt with administrative rights: schtasks /delete /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask” /F. This issue will be fixed in the next build. (We have talked about a potential fix for WSClient.dll error, so check it out to learn more)
- The front-facing camera is unusable on PCs with Intel RealSense resulting in being unable to use Windows Hello or any other apps that utilize the front-facing camera.
- After logging in to your PC, you may hit a UI issue in which Airplane Mode will incorrectly show as “on” even though your PC’s Wi-Fi is powered on. This is due to a timing issue between how the UI communicates and waits for the underlying platform to respond. The UI for Airplane Mode essentially does not wait long enough for the device’s physical radios to power on before reporting the current state. You can toggle the Airplane Mode on and off to get Airplane Mode back to showing the correct state.
There are probably even more issues caused by this build, that Microsoft didn’t mention. So, as always, we’re going to search the forums, look for all other reported problems, and write an article about all reported issues that Windows Insiders who installed build 14257 face. So, stay tuned.
Whether you want to record a tech or sports podcast, recording a podcast is usually easy. Set up a mic, start the audio recorder, and […]
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]