- When Remote Desktop connections don't work from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there might be some misconfigured settings.
- Make sure to check if your Firewall allows these types of connections to your computer.
- When no one can take over your PC, verify if the remote option is enabled on your system.
- To manage any device from distance, use dedicated software with imperceptible latency.
Not all users have upgraded to Windows 10, even after Microsoft announced that all support for Windows 7 has been ceased.
While this upgrade is something you will have to do eventually, environments, where the two OS coexist, are not unheard of.
Because of that, having PCs with different OS works together can be crucial. For example, some users may need to do a Remote Desktop connection from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 PC.
The problem is that this isn’t always the case, and some users have reported having issues with performing an RDC between two PCs:
I have windows 10 Pro V1803 Build 17134.48, and I have three other PCs with Windows 7 SP1. […] After the windows recent update from MicrosWindows10, I can not RDP from windows 7 to windows 10 any more…. I still can RDP from Windows 10 to Windows 7 but I cant do RDP from Windows 7 to windows 10. it gives me error that the computer is not in the network or RDP is not enable.
Solutions were soon to follow, and because of that, we’ve compiled a list of all the things that you can do to enable RDPs between Windows 7 PCs and Windows 10 PCs.
How do I enable Windows 7 to Windows 10 RDPs?
1. Make sure Remote Desktop Protocols are enabled on the Windows 7 PCs
- Press Start and go to Control Panel.
- Click System and Security, then choose System.
- Select Remote settings and go to the Remote tab.
- Check Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer.
- Check Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure).
- Click OK.
If these options are not enabled on the Windows 7 PC, no remote connection is possible from other computers. So, make sure to check both of them.
2. Enable Remote Desktop in Windows 10
- Press Start and choose Settings.
- Select System and from the left pane go to Remote Desktop.
- Toggle On the option under Enable Remote Desktop.
This option enables you to receive incoming remote connections and also to use the computer to connect to other PCs by using the Windows tool or dedicated software.
We recommend you to use a tool compatible with all operating systems, and it also features technology to ensure your device is protected from unauthorized access.
3. Keep your Windows 10 PC updated
- Press Start and select Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click Check for Updates, or Install Updates if your PC already has pending updates.
It is a well-known fact that KB4103721 was known to affect RDPs. As such, it is highly advised that you update your Windows 10 PC to the latest version because subsequent updates managed to fix the issue.
If Windows update cannot currently check for updates, there is an issue with the update service. Take a look at our dedicated guide in order to fix the problem.
4. Allow RDPs through the Windows 10 Firewall
- Press Star and search Windows Defender Firewall. Select it.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change Settings.
- Check the boxes next to Remote Desktop.
Windows Defender Firewall is a great built-in security feature. You can manage its settings, allowing or disabling access to some applications.
If Windows Defender is not working, we recommend you to take a look at our comprehensive guide on how to fix this serious issue.
By following these steps, you should be able to perform Remote Desktop Protocols between Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs.
After enabling these options, you also need the best remote control software for Windows 10 to help you manage other computers from distance.
Do you know any other solution we may have missed out on? Tell us all about it in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, but make sure to have the correct settings enabled. For more details, check our guide on how to enable Windows 7 to Windows 10 RDPs.
Yes, it works. If you need more guidance, check our article on how to use Remote Desktop Connection.
You should check the firewall settings. If there is no issue, use our solutions to fix problems with Remote Desktop in Windows 10.