- Facing the error Windows cannot find javaw.exe is frustrating when trying to launch Java programs.
- To quickly solve it, you can perform a quick malware scan or reinstall Java.
- You can also try to add the Javaw.exe path to the Environment Variable Path.
- Find below step-by-step instructions on how to carry out all these methods.
Javaw.exe is a process that launches Java programs (jar files included). However, a Windows cannot find javaw.exe error message can pop up for some users when they try to launch Java software.
The full error message states: Windows cannot find javaw.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. These are some of the best fixes for that error message.
What to do if javaw.exe is missing on Windows 10?
1. Scan for malware
If you already use Eset Internet Security, open the main window and follow these simple steps:
1. Select Computer scan from the ribbon on the left.
2. Click on the Scan your computer button and wait for the process to complete.
3. When the scan is finished, you will get a report showing the number of scanned, infected, and cleaned objects.
Alternatively, if you do not have Eset Internet Security on your computer, you can still do a full computer scan with its free scanner. You can download it for free and it will thoroughly scan your computer just as we showed in the steps below. You can only run this utility once, but it can be a quick fix if you don’t use an antivirus already.
The reason we recommend Eset Internet Security is because it uses multi-layered protection while being very lightweight. This type of technology ensures faster detection rates so there are higher chances that threats will be blocked or removed before they get a chance to impact your system.
Eset also has good data protection features that protect against any data leaks. It includes specific security features for safer online purchases.
Additional features include parental controls, webcam and microphone protection, and a dedicated anti-malware utility.
If you don’t have it on your device already, we recommend giving it a try. Eset offers 30-day free trials for all versions of its software, so you don’t need to make an investment if you are not satisfied with the product.
Eset Internet Security
Guard your devices with advanced multi-layered protection that keeps all threats at bay.
2. Add the Javaw.exe Path to the Environment Variable Path
- Press the Windows key + R to launch Run.
- Input sysdm.cpl in Run and click OK to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Press the Environment Variables button to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Click the New button under System variables to open a New System Variable window.
- Enter Path in the Variable name text box.
- Then, input the exact path of your javaw.exe file. The default javaw.exe path would be something like
C:Program files(x86)javajre8binon 64-bit Windows platforms.
- If you’re not sure what path to enter, press the Windows key + Q hotkey to open Cortana. Then enter java in the search box.
- Right-click javaw and select Open file location.
- Thereafter, File Explorer will open the folder that includes javaw.exe. Enter the folder path open in File Explorer into the Variable value text box on the New System Variable window.
- Press the OK button on the New System Variable window.
- Click OK on the Environment Variables window.
The javaw.exe error often arises because Windows can’t find the Java program. So, adding the exact javaw.exe path to system variables often fixes the Windows cannot find javaw.exe error.
Follow the guidelines above to add a new javaw.exe system variable path.
3. Reinstall Java
- Reinstalling Java might also fix the javaw.exe error for users with antiquated Java versions. To reinstall Java, enter appwiz.cpl in Run and click OK.
- Select Java and click Uninstall.
- Select the Yes option on the dialog box that opens.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Java.
- Download Java installer.
- Click the Java installer file to open the setup window below.
- Press the Install button on that window.
Those are three resolutions that will probably resolve the Windows cannot find javaw.exe error for most users. You may then open your Java program with the javaw.exe error fixed.
Don’t hesitate to follow the topic on our website and check out this Java section too.
If you want to keep up with everything related to this topic, check out our Java section. You can find additional recommendations, fixes, and also.
Solving glitches is our specialty, so bookmark our Windows 10 Errors Hub if you need assistance with other PC-related problems.
Since your goal is getting this result as quickly as possible, apply the same solutions when dealing with:
- javaw.exe not found – Users describe that they keep seeing the same message on their computer. Since it cannot find a working Java installation, we can only recommend reinstalling it.
- Windows cannot find javaw.exe ASDM – There are times when users may not even get the ASDM Launcher login box. Assuming you’re no stranger to this error, quickly scanning your device is a wise move.
Frequently Asked Questions
Javaw.exe is a process that executes Java programs. Unlike java.exe, no console or window is associated with the execution in this case.
With Java installed, you need to open the Jar File with Java(TM) Platform SE binary as described in this guide dedicated to running Jar files on Windows 10.
There’s no real reason to worry about getting the legitimate Java plug-in. However, there are plenty of fake pop-up windows that may trick you into downloading malware instead of Java.