- The Windows host process rundll32 can cause high disk and CPU usage on Windows computers, leaving the system unresponsive and lagging.
- This article explores a few quick ways to help you stop the Rundll32 process from hogging all the system resources.
- Head over to our High CPU Usage section to learn more about processes causing high system resource usage.
- Don't hesitate to check out our dedicated Troubleshooting Page for more useful information.
High disk and CPU usage problems in Windows computers is nothing new. While the high disk usage can be usually fixed by installing a high-speed SSD, the high CPU usage problem is not hardware-based.
Windows host process rundll32 high disk/CPU usage is one such issue annoying many Windows users.
The DLL extension is used to store common application logic accessed by other common applications.
High disk and CPU usage by Windows host process rundll32 can occur due to scheduled tasks or if the computer has malware issues.
This article explores a few troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the Windows host process rundll32 high disk / CPU usage problem in Windows 10.
How do I fix the Windows host process rundll32 high CPU usage problem?
1. Disabled items from the Task Scheduler
- Press the Windows key, type administrative tools, and open it.
- In the File Explorer window, scroll down and launch Task Scheduler.
- In Task Scheduler, expand the Task Scheduler Library and navigate to the following location:
Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement
- On the right pan, right-click on Consolidator.
- Select Properties.
- Open the Triggers tab.
- Select the OneTime trigger and click on Edit.
- In the Edit Trigger window, uncheck the Enabled box under Advanced Settings.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now go back to the Item list, right-click on the following items one by one, and select Disable.
Note: After you’ve performed these steps, don’t forget to restart your computer.
After the restart, check if the high CPU and disk usage issue is resolved.
If not, make sure to reverse the changes made in the earlier steps to enable Consolidator from the properties and item list.
Run a third-party DLL fixer
There are plenty of third-party programs out there that promise to fix or replace missing or broken DLLs, and most of them stay true to their word. However, if you are to choose just one, then there’s no way you can go wrong with Restoro.
How to use Restoro to fix missing or broken DLLs
- Download here Restoro and install it on your Windows 10 PC
- Let Restoro perform a full system scan
- When the scan is finished, press Clean Now
- Restoro will now proceed to fix your DLL-related issue.
Note: While Restoro can be downloaded for free, it has limited functionality until you activate it. That being the case, if you want the full benefit of a great PC repair and optimization tool, you should purchase the full license.
2. Disable Telemetry services
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type services.msc and click OK.
- In the Services window, search for Connected User Experience service.
- Righ-click on the service and select Properties.
- Click the Stop button to stop the service.
- Set the Startup Type to Disabled.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Close the Services window and restart your computer. Open the Task Manager to check if the high disk and CPU usage issue is resolved.
Microsoft’s User Experience service is also known to cause high disk and CPU usage problem. Disabling the service seem to have resolved the problem for some users.
3. Uninstall Google App Engine
- Press the Windows key + R.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- In the Control Panel, locate Google App Engine.
- Click on Uninstall. Confirm the action by clicking on Uninstall/Yes.
- Once uninstalled, reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
Google App Engine is a web framework for developing web applications. Many users have reported the high disk usage problem to have occurred after installing the app.
4. Uninstall Lenovo Dependency package
- Press the Windows key, type control, and open Control Panel.
- Go to Programs and choose Programs and Features.
- Right-click on Lenovo Dependency Package and select Uninstall. Confirm the action by clicking on Yes.
- You may need to restart your computer to see any changes.
Lenovo Dependency Package is a set of services and drivers installed on old Lenovo machines to help with Lenovo Settings.
However, at times the package can cause high disk and CPU usage issues. Removing the package should fix the problem.
The Windows host process rundll32 high disk and CPU usage problem can occur due to several reasons.
Follow the steps in this article one by one and let us know which step helped you resolve the problem in the comments.