Why is my computer saying Windows is not genuine?
How to fix ‘Windows is not genuine’ errors
- Use RSOP command
- Use SLMGR-REARM command
- Check if your license is really legitimate
- Run the Microsoft Genuine Advance Diagnostic Tool
- Uninstall update KB971033 if you are using Windows 7
- Turn off updates
“This copy of Windows is not genuine” is one of the most common errors in Windows operating system. As a result of encountering this error, the desktop wallpaper set by you will convert into a black screen, the battery life will decrease as this message keeps popping on the laptop, and more. Some of the Windows 10 features will no longer work unless you remove this message. This alert can get quite annoying, especially while working with important stuff as it pops up at regular intervals.
However, you can still do other things on your PC, like complete your work and use the computer like before. The main reason that your computer displays this error is because you did not activate your Windows license after the trial period. You can also receive this error because the license of Windows operating system that you are using is expired or blocked.
Also, if you share your Windows license to other people, like friends or family members, Microsoft could block your license due to use in multiple computer usage or attempts to activate the same license too many times. If you see this error on your Windows computer, this article will show you how to fix it.
Windows is not genuine: Here’s how to remove this alert
Solution 1: Use the RSOP command
You can try to solve the error generated on your Windows screen through RSOP method, where RSOP stands for Resultant Set of Policy Window, by following the steps below:
- Press Windows and R buttons from the keyboard in order to open the Run window
- Type rsop.msc there and press Enter button
- Navigate to Windows settings, click on Security system and then go to System services
- Look for the Plug and play services, then right click on it and then start looking for the Startup and then click on the Automatic
- Press Windows and R buttons as you did at the first step and paste gpupdate/force into the Run box
- Restart your computer.
Solution 2: Use SLMGR-REARM command
By using Command Prompt and a simple command, you can fix this problem in both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit, and in all versions of Windows operating system:
- Launch Command prompt as administrator by clicking on Start, type cmd in the search box and then right click on Command prompt and choose Run as administrator
- Type SLMGR–REARM or SLMGR /REARM
- You will see a confirmation window, click on OK and restart your computer
Note: SLMGR is Windows software licensing management tool. REARM command will reset the licensing status of the machine.
Solution 3: Check if your license is really legitimate
If you have paid for a license, and if you now find that it was a fake one, you could take up the matter with Microsoft, report counterfeit software and see what happens. Also, you have to contact your vendor as Microsoft support in most cases will only help you resolve the issue when you buy Windows OS from Microsoft store.
Solution 4: Run the Microsoft Genuine Advance Diagnostic Tool
The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool provides detailed information about the Microsoft Genuine Advantage components and settings currently on your system. It will allow you to diagnose and automatically resolve problems. Run the tool, copy its findings to your clipboard and then submit a Genuine Windows technical support request to Microsoft.
Download the tool, run the MGADiag.exe and click Continue for the check results. There will be some useful information such as the Validation Status might tell you if the product key is invalid or a blacklisted corporate key. You might also get notified if the LegitCheckControl.dll file has been tampered with in which case there could be some form of crack on your Windows install which has been detected. If there is an issue the tool can fix, click the Resolve button.
Solution 5: Uninstall update KB971033 if you are using Windows 7
The KB971033 update could be the source of your problem in case you are using Windows 7. If you are getting the message “This copy of Windows is not genuine”, then this means that Windows has an updated file that is capable to detect your Windows operating system. Hence, this requires uninstalling of that following update to get rid of this problem.
- Open Control Panel
- Go to Windows update section
- Click on View installed updates
- After loading all installed updates, check for update KB971033 and uninstall
- Restart your computer
Solution 6: Turn off updates
To make sure that the “This copy of Windows is not genuine” message does not come back, make sure you turn off automatic Windows updates. In order to turn off automatic Windows updates, you need to:
- Open the Control panel from the Start button
- Go to Windows update option
- Click on Install Updates Automatically option and select Never check for updates (Not Recommended)
- Click on Apply to change the setting and restart your computer
Note: Your computer is now never getting this error again. However, you cannot upgrade your Windows to the latest version to fix bugs or getting new features.
All in all, we hope the methods described above did help you to fix the error message that states your copy of Windows is not genuine. There may be other methods as well but these are easy to follow. Also, in order to avoid such trouble, one must not support pirated version of Windows and should own a genuine Window Copy officially from Microsoft.
- You can Now Activate Windows 10 with Your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Key
- How to Enter or Change Windows 10, 8.1 Product Key
- How to Find your Windows 10 Product Key
- Top 5 Troubleshooting Tools and Software for Windows 10
Live streaming is the hottest trend and a powerful streaming software makes the entire process a lot easier. A streaming software primarily helps you with […]
From the tail end of the 20th century, up to about a decade ago, CDs and DVDs constitute the major options for media storage. Today, […]