Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- This copy of Windows is not genuine is one of the most common errors in the Windows operating system.
- An illegitimate copy of the OS causes the issue, or the license was not activated after the trial period.
- You can try to solve the error generated on your Windows screen through the RSOP method, where RSOP stands for Resultant Set of Policy Window.
This copy of Windows is not genuine is one of the most common errors in the Windows operating system.
As a result of encountering this error, the desktop wallpaper set by you will convert into a black screen, the battery life will decrease as this message keeps popping on the laptop, and more.
Some Windows 10 features will no longer work unless you remove this message. This alert can get quite annoying, especially while working with the important stuff, as it pops up at regular intervals.
However, you can still do other things on your PC, like complete your work and use the computer like before.
Why does it say that my copy of Windows is not genuine?
Here are a few reasons behind the message:
- OS is not activated: If you got a trial period of Windows and, after it expired, never activated the OS with a product key, you will get the message.
- License used on multiple devices: You may also see the error when the same key is used on multiple devices, more than what’s permitted under the license.
- Malware attack: A malware or virus can lead to corrupt Windows System Files and files storing the activation data, which would trigger the error.
- Windows is indeed not genuine: In most cases, the copy of Windows installed on the PC is not genuine.
How can I fix Windows is not genuine errors?
Here’s what you should first do:
- If you have paid for a license, and if you now find that it was a fake one, you could take up the matter with Microsoft, report counterfeit software and see what happens.
- Also, you have to contact your vendor as Microsoft support, in most cases, will only help you resolve the issue when you buy Windows OS from Microsoft Store.
1. Use the RSOP command
- Press Windows and R buttons from the keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type rsop.msc there and press Enter button.
- Navigate to Windows Settings, click on Security Settings, and then go to System Services.
- Look for the Plug and Play services, then right-click on it and then start looking for the Startup and then click on the Automatic.
- Press Windows and R buttons as you did at the first step and paste gpupdate/force into the Run box
- Restart your computer.
You can try to solve the error generated on your Windows screen through the RSOP method, as shown above, where RSOP stands for Resultant Set of Policy Window.
2. Use the SLMGR-REARM command
- Click the Start button, type cmd, and select Run as administrator from the results.
- Type SLMGR–REARM or SLMGR /REARM and press Enter.
- You will see a confirmation window. Click on OK and restart your computer.
By using SLMGR (Windows Server License Manager Script), a Windows 7 Not genuine removal tool, and a simple command, you can fix this problem in Windows 32-bit and 64-bit and in all iterations of the Windows operating system.
3. Turn off updates
- Click the Start button and select Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Now, scroll down on the right pane and click on Advanced options.
- Look for the Pause updates section, click on the Select date menu and pick a date until you want to pause the updates.
- Now, if you go back to the Windows Update menu, you will see that the updates were paused.
To ensure that This copy of Windows is not genuine message does not come back, pause the automatic Windows updates.
How do I permanently fix Windows 7 is not genuine?
While one way to permanently fix This copy of Windows is not genuine message is to pause Windows Updates, most users won’t be comfortable with it.
So, we recommend you get the valid activation key received at the time of purchasing the computer or the operating system’s CD, enter it, and resolve the error for good.
On some old PC models, the activation key is pasted on a sticker, while for the new ones, it can be located in the Microsoft account.
All in all, we hope the methods described above help you to fix the error message that states your copy of Windows is not genuine.
Also, to avoid such trouble, one must not support pirated version of Windows and should own a genuine Windows Copy officially from Microsoft.
There are a lot of online stores out there that sell copies of Windows, but many of those are not genuine and do not provide any security.
So, pick a trusted vendor certified to sell Microsoft software products before hitting the Buy button.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, please use the comments section below.