Desktop wallpaper turned black in Windows 10 [QUICK GUIDE]
Some users have discovered and reported a bug in Windows 10, not a crucial one, but still very annoying. After performing a specific number of operations, the Desktop turned black and the wallpaper disappeared.
Luckily, you can solve this problem easily, with just a few clicks, because it is related to “Show Desktop icons” feature and could be fixed right from your Desktop.
How can I fix black desktop background on Windows 10:
1. Disable Desktop icons
This is how you will fix your issue with the black Desktop background in just four easy steps:
- Make sure that the Desktop is showing, and then right click on the empty area. In the View section, untick Show Desktop icons, and all your desktop icons will disappear.
- After that, click on the empty area on your Desktop once again and go to Personalize from the menu. If you already using a theme with a single wallpaper, select some themes with multiple wallpapers. For example, Microsoft’s Line and colors theme, and right after that switch back to the default theme.
- Close the Personalization window, and your Desktop will turn black without showing any wallpaper on the screen.
- To finally fix this issue, you have to turn on your Desktop icons once again, and then disable them again.
Desktop icons are missing in Windows 10? Find them with a few easy steps from this amazing guide.
2. Sign out of Windows
If the first method didn’t help you, try signing out of Windows.
- Go to Start > Settings > select Ease of Access
- Click on ‘Other option’ > make sure that Windows background is enabled as shown in the screenshot below
- Now, select your favourite wallpaper and set it as your background image. Do this even if the desktop background is black.
- Sign out and then sign back in. The new background show now be visible.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
3. Change Themes folder to not hidden
If nothing worked, try changing the Themes folder to not hidden. Some users confirmed that this workaround helped them solve the problem. Give it a go and see if it works for you as well.
You can find the Themes folder at this address: C:UserAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsThemes
If you want to know how to install third-party themes on Windows 10, take a look at this article.
This black background issue is very annoying, especially for those who care about the look of their Desktops.
Unfortunately, the newer versions of Windows operating system are full of similar, small but annoying bugs, and Windows users are constantly complaining about them, but they’re right.
Luckily, there’s a solution for these small bugs, and this issue is not an exception.
If this easy solution somehow didn’t worked out for you, or you have some questions or suggestions, please express yourself in the comment section below. We would like to hear your comments or suggestions.
- Fix: no Internet Connection After Applying Windows Updates
- Easy Steps to Fix Black Screen Issue in Windows 8.1, 10
- 9 ways to fix Netflix black screen on your computer
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Windows 10 is a very complex operating system with hundreds of apps and processes runing in the background. Some of them came pre-installed, others have […]
Microsoft is continuously working on improving the experience and usability of Windows 10, especially now when Windows 10 v1903 caused so many bugs. It seems […]
Microsoft is constantly trying to facilitate Windows 10 users with the update process. Apparently, Microsoft has not been 100 percent successful in its efforts. We […]