A great number of users have encountered the error message Windows needs more disk space to print when trying to print out their documents using Microsoft Word.
It seems that this issue occurs on a large array of operating systems and versions of MS Word. Even though the error says something about needing more disk space, that is not actually the case.
This issue can be caused by a variety of elements – from add-ins installed to your MS Word application, to a broken registry entry.
Considering all of this, we know how important it is for you to be able to use Word, so in today’s article we will explore a few troubleshooting methods to deal with this issue. Read on to find out more details.
How can I fix Windows needs more disk space to print error?
1. Update MS Word to the latest version
- Open MS Word by double-clicking on the icon.
- Select File from the upper part of your screen -> click on Account.
- Click on Product Information -> select Update options -> Update now.
- Wait for the process to complete and check to see if the issue persists.
2. Start MS Word in Safe Mode using /a command
- Press Win+R keys on your keyboard to start a Run dialog box.
- Inside the Run dialog box -> type in winword /a -> press Enter.
- This will open MS Word without loading any of the add-ins installed.
- Try to print your document.
- If it works, then it means that the issue was caused by one of your add-ins.
- Disable each one of them and restart Word to spot the specific problem add-in.
- Remove the add-in causing the issue.
- If the problem seems to persist, follow the next method.
3. Delete the Word Data registry subkey
Note: Performing this method will also reset the ‘most recently used file’ list and setting made inside Options. Please follow the steps in this method carefully to avoid creating any other issues.
- Close all Office software.
- Click on Cortana search box -> type regedit -> press Enter.
- Locate the specific registry subkey depending on what version of MS Word you’re using:
- Word 2016:
- Word 2013:
- Word 2010:
- Word 2007:
- Word 2003:
- Word 2016:
- In File menu -> click on Data -> Export.
- Name the file Wddata.reg and save it to your desktop.
- Right-click the Data key –> click Delete -> click Yes.
- Exit Registry Editor and start MS Word.
We hope this guide helped you solve Windows needs more disk space to print Microsoft Word error. Don’t forget to let us know by using the comment section found below.