- The latest Windows 10 update seems to have caused performance problems for video gamers.
- It seems as though not all customers have experienced this problem, but only a subset of them.
- Microsoft has acknowledged the problem after the update but has also quickly solved it as well.
- It can take up to 24 hours for the problem to disappear, so restarting your device is advised.
The latest Windows 10 has caused lots of distress for many PC gamers as it has brought freezing and frame issues as well as outright crashes and body fee drops in video games.
The great thing is that not only Microsoft has acknowledged the issue but they have also rolled out a repair. In a recent post regarding the known issues, Microsoft stated the identified problem:
A small subset of users have reported lower than expected performance in games after installing KB5000842 or later update. Some customers have reported decrease recreation efficiency in the full display or borderless windowed mode when utilizing a number of displays.
Lower game performance
According to Microsoft the affected platforms are
- Client: Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004
- Server: Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004
The performance issue concerning video games seems to be solved on April 23 by removing the KB5001330 code that was actually causing this issue to occur.
They have used the Known Issue Rollback service to fix the problem, which enables them to quickly revert to a previously released behavior, that worked fine.
Even though the problem has been solved, Microsoft states that it may take up to 24 hours for the problem to subside, and restarting the device is recommended:
It might take up to 24 hours for the resolution to propagate automatically to consumer devices and non-managed business devices. Restarting your device might help the resolution apply to your device faster.
According to gamers’ comments on Reddit, after Microsoft announced the issue has been solved, it does seem to have worked and the efficiency in video games seems to be restored.
As always, your thoughts on this subject are more than welcomed, so don’t hesitate to leave us a comment in the dedicated section below.