- Some users received the XAudio2_6.dll missing error when they tried to launch a certain game.
- If you don't know how to repair xaudio2_6.dll error, you should use a proper repair tool that you can find below.
- When you encounter system errors, you can try cleaning the registry and check if another error occurs.
- You can also try updating your drivers in a specific mode, so check out our full guide for more information.
Some users of Windows 10 have reported that when they try to launch a certain game, an error message saying that XAudio2_6.dll is missing from their computer appears, and they’re unable to launch the game.
Luckily, there are some solutions for this error, and you’ll find it in this article, so keep reading.
Problems with XAudio2_6.dll can cause various issues to appear, and speaking of issues, here are some of the most common problems reported by users:
- XAudio2_6.dll missing Windows 10, 7 – This problem can appear on any version of Windows, and older versions of Windows aren’t an exception. Most of our solutions will work with any version of Windows, so even if you don’t use Windows 10, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- XAudio2_6.dll crash – According to users, sometimes crashes can occur due to problems with this file. To fix the issue, be sure to update your audio drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
- XAudio2_6.dll Skyrim – This issue can appear while trying to run certain games, such as Skyrim for example. If this problem occurs, be sure to reinstall DirectX and check if that helps.
- XAudio2_6.dll not found – If this file isn’t available on your system, you might be able to fix the problem simply by copying it from another PC.
How do I fix the XAudio2_6.dll error on Windows 10?
1. Manually register with Microsoft Register Server
- Press Windows Key + X, and choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin).
- Enter the following line into the Command Prompt, and press Enter:
- Now Enter this command, and press Enter:
- Close the Command Prompt, and try to open the game associated with XAudio2_6.dll again
Maybe XAudio2_6.dll is present on your computer, but it’s just not registered. In most cases it (and all other .dll files) should be registered automatically, but in some cases, there could be complications.
So, you can try to register this file on your own, and see if there are any improvements.
2. Manually copy the missing files
In some cases, you might be able to fix the problem with missing XAudio2_6.dll simply by copying it from another PC.
To do that, switch to a different PC and search for the missing file. If you find it, copy it to the other PC and check if that helps.
The file should be located in Windows/System32 and Windows/SysWow64 directories, so be sure to copy it there on your PC.
Many websites will also offer you to download this file, but most of these websites aren’t reliable, so it’s always better to copy this file from another PC.
3. Reinstall DirectX
XAudio2_6.dll is a file related to DirectX, which is, as you probably know, one of the essentials for running almost every game on Windows 10 and other Windows operating systems.
If this error appears while trying to run a certain game, you can also find the DirectX setup file in the game’s installation directory, just search for DirectX folder, and you should find the required setup file there.
4. Update Sound Driver
- Press Windows Key + X, and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click on your audio driver, and go to Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If there are any updates available, let the wizard finish the process.
After doing that, Windows 10 will download the latest drivers for your audio device.
Although XAudio2_6.dll is a DirectX-related file, some users also reported that updating the sound driver solved the issue.
So, if you reinstalled DirectX, and you’re still facing the same error, head to the Device Manager, and check if there are any updates for your audio driver.
Although this method is quite simple, it won’t always download the latest drivers, so it might not fix your problem.
If you want to completely fix the problem, it’s advised to download your drivers directly from the motherboard or sound card manufacturer.
Simply visit the manufacturer’s website, enter the model of your sound card or motherboard and download the latest audio drivers for it.
This method might be a bit more complicated than the previous one, but by using it you can download the latest audio drivers for your PC.
If both these methods are ineffective, you might want to try a third-party tool that will automatically update all your drivers with a single click.
Driverfix is such a tool, and by using it, you can update your drivers automatically in a matter of minutes.
Various errors are the result of a malfunctioning driver. When this is the case, you may need to update or reinstall completely this specific component. As the process is not straight-forward to complete, we recommend using an automated tool for the job. Here's how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
5. Install the drivers in Safe Mode
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to System & Security section.
- Choose Recovery from the left pane.
- In the right pane, in the Advanced startup section, click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- When your system restarts you’ll be presented with a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing the corresponding key.
Once you enter Safe Mode, try to install the AMD driver once again. If you manage to install it successfully the issue should be completely resolved.
According to users, problems with missing XAudio2_6.dll can occur due to your graphics card drivers.
Some users reported that this issue occurs while installing AMD drivers, and in order to fix the issue, it’s required that you enter Safe Mode and try to install the drivers from there.
In case you’re not familiar, Safe Mode is a special segment of Windows that runs with default drivers and applications, so it’s perfect for troubleshooting.
6. Clean your registry
Few users reported that they managed to fix the problem with XAudio2_6.dll simply by cleaning their registry.
In some cases, your registry entries can become corrupted, and that can cause this and many other errors to appear.
To fix the problem, some users recommend cleaning your registry. The simplest way to do that is to use a registry cleaner software.
We covered many registry cleaners in the past, and if you’re looking for a good software to clean your registry, we recommend you to try Advanced SystemCare.
7. Remove overclock settings
Sometimes the problem with XAudio2_6.dll error can occur while trying to run certain games.
According to users, the issue was caused by their overclock settings, and after removing the overclock settings, the problem was completely resolved.
If your system is overclocked, lower your overclock settings or disable them completely and check if that solves the problem. This isn’t the most reliable solution, but it might work for you, so be sure to try it out.
8. Install the missing updates
- Open the Settings app, and go to the Update & Security section.
- Now click Check for updates button.
If the problem with XAudio2_6.dll appears, the issue might be missing Windows updates. Sometimes if you don’t have the latest updates installed, you might encounter certain issues.
However, you can easily solve these issues by installing the missing updates.
Windows 10 usually installs the missing updates automatically, but sometimes you might skip an update or two due to certain issues.
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
That’s it, we hope at least one of these solutions helped you to solve this issue, if you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comment section below.