- Did you receive an error message saying that XAudio2_6.dll is missing when you tried to launch a certain game? You will find the solution for this error in the article below.
- DLL error are a bit scary but we wrote extensively about them you you will most likely find a solution in our. DLL fix section.
- If you come across any system errors, you will probably find a solution in our System Errors hub.
- Look in our Windows 10 errors hub for more solutions to such errors.
Some users of Windows 10 have reported that when they try to launch a certain game, an error message saying that XAudio2_6.dll is missing from their computer appears, and they’re unable to launch the game.
Luckily, there’s a solution for this error, and you’ll find it in this article.
Problems with XAudio2_6.dll can cause various issues to appear, and speaking of issues, here are some of the most common problems reported by users:
- XAudio2_6.dll missing Windows 10, 7 – This problem can appear on any version of Windows, and older versions of Windows aren’t an exception. Most of our solutions will work with any version of Windows, so even if you don’t use Windows 10, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- XAudio2_6.dll crash – According to users, sometimes crashes can occur due to problems with this file. To fix the issue, be sure to update your audio drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
- XAudio2_6.dll Skyrim – This issue can appear while trying to run certain games, such as Skyrim for example. If this problem occurs, be sure to reinstall DirectX and check if that helps.
- XAudio2_6.dll not found – If this file isn’t available on your system, you might be able to fix the problem simply by copying it from another PC.
How do I solve XAudio2_6.dll is missing error on Windows 10?
Solution 1 -Manually Register with Microsoft Register Server
Maybe XAudio2_6.dll is present on your computer, but it’s just not registered. In most cases it (and all other .dll files) should be registered automatically, but in some cases, there could be complications. S
o, you can try to register this file on your own, and see if there are any improvements. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin).
- Enter the following line into the Command Prompt, and press Enter:
- Now Enter this command, and press Enter:
- Close the Command Prompt, and try to open the game associated with XAudio2_6.dll again
If this does not solve your issue, move to the next solution.
Run a third-party DLL fixer
There are plenty of third-party programs out there that promise to fix or replace missing or broken DLLs, and most of them stay true to their word. However, if you are to choose just one, then there’s no way you can go wrong with Restoro.
How to use Restoro to fix missing or broken DLLs
- Download here Restoro and install it on your Windows 10 PC
- Let Restoro perform a full system scan
- When the scan is finished, press Clean Now
- Restoro will now proceed to fix your DLL-related issue.
Note: While Restoro can be downloaded for free, it has limited functionality until you activate it. That being the case, if you want the full benefit of a great PC repair and optimization tool, you should purchase the full license.
Solution 2 -Reinstall DirectX
XAudio2_6.dll is a file related to DirectX, which is, as you probably know, one of the essentials for running almost every game on Windows 10 and other Windows operating systems.
So, to solve this issue, and repair the corrupted XAudio2_6.dll file, all you need to do is to reinstall or repair your current version of DirectX, and everything should work just fine.
You can download the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft’s site, for free.
If this error appears while trying to run a certain game, you can also find the DirectX setup file in the game’s installation directory.
Just search for DirectX folder, and you should find the required setup file there.
Solution 3 – Update Sound Driver
Although XAudio2_6.dll is a DirectX-related file, some users also reported that updating the sound driver solved the issue.
So, if you reinstalled DirectX, and you’re still facing the same error, head to the Device Manager, and check if there are any updates for your audio driver.
In case you don’t know how to do that, follow these instructions:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Device Manager from the list.
- Under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click on your audio driver, and go to Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If there are any updates available, let the wizard finish the process.
After doing that, Windows 10 will download the latest drivers for your audio device.
Although this method is quite simple, it won’t always download the latest drivers, so it might not fix your problem.
If you want to completely fix the problem, it’s advised to download your drivers directly from the motherboard or sound card manufacturer.
Simply visit the manufacturer’s website, enter the model of your sound card or motherboard and download the latest audio drivers for it.
This method might be a bit more complicated than the previous one, but by using it you can download the latest audio drivers for your PC.
If both these methods are ineffective, you might want to try a third-party tool that will automatically update all your drivers with a single click.
TweakBit Driver Updater is such a tool, and by using it, you can update your drivers automatically in a matter of minutes.
Solution 4 – Install the drivers in Safe Mode
According to users, problems with missing XAudio2_6.dll can occur due to your graphics card drivers.
Some users reported that this issue occurs while installing AMD drivers, and in order to fix the issue, it’s required that you enter Safe Mode and try to install the drivers from there.
In case you’re not familiar, Safe Mode is a special segment of Windows that runs with default drivers and applications, so it’s perfect for troubleshooting. To enter Safe Mode, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to System & Security section.
- Choose Recovery from the left pane. In the right pane, in Advanced startup section click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- When your system restarts you’ll be presented with a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing the corresponding key.
Once you enter Safe Mode, try to install the AMD driver once again. If you manage to install it successfully the issue should be completely resolved.
Solution 5 – Clean your registry
Few users reported that they managed to fix the problem with XAudio2_6.dll simply by cleaning their registry.
In some cases, your registry entries can become corrupted, and that can cause this and many other errors to appear.
To fix the problem, some users recommend cleaning your registry. The simplest way to do that is to use a registry cleaner software.
We covered many registry cleaners in the past, and if you’re looking for a good software to clean your registry, we recommend you to try Advanced SystemCare.
Solution 6 – Remove overclock settings
Sometimes the problem with XAudio2_6.dll error can occur while trying to run certain games.
According to users, the issue was caused by their overclock settings, and after removing the overclock settings, the problem was completely resolved.
If your system is overclocked, lower your overclock settings or disable them completely and check if that solves the problem. This isn’t the most reliable solution, but it might work for you, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 7 – Install the missing updates
If the problem with XAudio2_6.dll appears, the issue might be missing Windows updates. Sometimes if you don’t have the latest updates installed, you might encounter certain issues.
However, you can easily solve these issues by installing the missing updates.
Windows 10 usually installs the missing updates automatically, but sometimes you might skip an update or two due to certain issues.
However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 8 – Manually copy the missing files
In some cases, you might be able to fix the problem with missing XAudio2_6.dll simply by copying it from another PC. To do that, switch to a different PC and search for the missing file.
If you find it, copy it to the other PC and check if that helps.
The file should be located in Windows/System32 and Windows/SysWow64 directories, so be sure to copy it there on your PC.
Many websites will also offer you to download this file, but most of these websites aren’t reliable, so it’s always better to copy this file from another PC.
That’s it, I hope at least one of these solutions helped you to solve this issue, if you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comment section below.
FAQ: Read more about DLL problems
- How do I fix a missing dll file?
First, try to run a System File Checker scan. If that doesn’t solve the problem, don’t download the file from unchecked sources, read our expert guide on how to fix missing DLL files in Windows 10.
- How can I fix XAudio2_6.dll is missing?
- How do you know which DLL files are missing?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2015 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.