- While very annoying, YouTube TV playback errors on Roku devices are not uncommon.
- When this happens, there are a few things that you can do on your own before contacting the Roku support team.
- We have compiled a whole dedicated Roku section, so check it out on our website.
- Also, make sure to take a look at the Streaming Hub for more inspiration.
YouTube TV comes in a monthly paid membership and offers access to a great range of the most popular US TV programs, plus access to YouTube videos and YouTube original creations.
The service is available on most streaming players, Roku devices included. And of course, there is room for errors such as freezing, black screens, or buffering.
Whether these are on the side of the equipment provider or on YouTube‘s side, there are a few things that you can try on your own to fix them.
Why does YouTube TV have a playback error on Roku?
- In your Roku home screen search for YouTube TV.
- Press the asterisk* key on your remote > Remove Channel.
- Go to your Roku‘s Settings > System > System restart.
- From the home screen of your Roku > Streaming Channels.
- Find YouTubeTV app > Add Channel.
2. Network connectivity glitch
Connectivity glitches are possible when starting either your device or your YouTube app. In this case, you simply have to unplug both the Roku device and the router/modem, and plug them back in, then switch on everything.
If something went wrong when opening the app or when powering up your Roku, this should fix it.
This applies only if your playback error refers to an uneven video display. What you should do here is to change the display settings as follows: on your Roku device, go to Settings >Display type > choose 4K 30Hz TV, 4K 60Hz TV, or 4K HDR 60Hz.
Have you experienced other playback issues with the YouTube app on a Roku device? Share your comments in the dedicated section below.
FAQ: Learn more about YouTube TV
- How do I fix YouTube playback error on my TV?
The simplest thing to do is to switch off both the YouTube app and your device. Then switch them back on. If this doesn’t work, move on to uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
- Why is YouTube TV buffering so much?
There might be several causes for YouTube TV to buffer, among them a poor internet connection or something to do with your device.
- How do I change video quality on YouTube TV?
Whether you’re streaming YouTube TV on your laptop, mobile or smart TV, you can change the video quality by looking for the Quality option in the web browser or your app, and select the preferred quality from there.