Having a reliable cross-platform code editor is of utmost importance for programmers.
Most programmers work on multiple computer platforms, so being able to quickly switch from one platform to the another is very important.
In this article, we’ll list the best cross-platform code editors that you can use to make writing and revising code easier.
Here are the best cross-platform code editors in 2018
1. Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is Microsoft’s source code editor for Windows, Linux and macOS. This powerful and versatible cross-platform code editor supports a series of features such as debugging, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, embedded Git control, code refactoring, and more.
If the standard version of the tool doesn’t meet all your needs, you can always install more extensions to add new languages, debuggers, and other additional services.
VS Code also comes with built-in Git commands, allowing you to review code right from the editor and push and pull from any hosted SCM service.
The editor features a very interesting and useful feature called IntelliSense, which provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
You can download and install Visual Studio Code from Microsoft.
If you’re looking for a powerful and fast code editor, then SlickEdit is the right choice for you. It can load large files within seconds. Its smart editing features help you boost your productivity.
The software comes in two variants:
- SlickEdit Standard: ideal for single file oriented operations and one-off scripts.
- SlickEdit Pro: perfect for large or complex projects. It supports features such as instant sync with version control integration, tagged symbols for quick and easy lookup, analysis, and navigation.
SlickEdit Standard has a $99.95 price tag, while the Pro version starts from $299.00.
If you buy licenses for a team of 4 developers or more, you can also get an interesting Team Bundle Discount.
Purchase SlickEdit from the software’s official page.
- ALSO READ: 7 best HTML5 editors for Windows 10
3. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a complex, yet highly customizable code editor for programmers. It’s one of the best cross-platform code editors available on the market and it can handle anything you throw at it.
One of its most interesting features is the multi-caret editing. This option allows you to type the same code in several places at the same time.
The Split editing feature helps you get the most out of your wide screen monitor. You can enable split editing support and edit files side by side, or edit two locations in one file. You can use multiple windows, as well as multiple splits in each window.
Sublime Text is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. One license allows you to use the tool on every computer you own.
You can download and evaluate the software for free. However a license is required for continued use.
You can purchase a Sublime Text license for $80.00.
UltraEdit is a fast, powerful and versatile code editor for Windows , MacOS and Linux.
It’s highly customizable, allowing you to enable different themes so that the editor’s interface looks exactly how you’d like it to. You can set one of the themes available in the library or create your own.
Key features include:
- Column mode — this feature allows you to edit along the Y axis anywhere in your document.
- Multi-caret/multi-select — the multi-selection and editing feature helps you to the job faster and be more productive.
- Integrated FTP, SSH & Telnet — UltraEdit is perfect for both quick edits to a file on a server or upload huge codebases.
- 4k UHD support — the tool’s interface simply looks great on Retina and other ultra high-definition displays.
- 3 for 1 licenses — you can use the tool on up to 3 machines on any combination of platforms.
You can purchase a UltraEdit license for prices starting from $99.00.
ICEcoder is a browser based code editor specialized in website building tasks. This tools allows you to code directly within the web browser, online or offline. You can test your product in mid-development on actual web servers.
When the website is ready, you can then easily provide maintenance services using the same tool.
You can use ICEcoder on any computer with a modern browser, and you can customise it to your liking.
You can also use ICEcode as a desktop code editor with PHP 5.0+ (ideally PHP 5.3+). You can run it on Linux and on PC via WAMP or XAMPP and Mac via MAMP.
ICEcode runs great on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android together with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari.
You can download ICEcoder from the tool’s official website.
This brings us to the end of our list of the best cross-platform code editors for programmers.
We’re sure that these tools will help you code faster and boost your productivity.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Skype’s real-time code editor lets you test your job candidates’ coding skills
- How to create Windows Store Apps (All-in-one guide)
- 7 best Arduino simulators for PC