If you recently updated your operating system to Windows 8.1 you might experience some issues regarding the sound on your PC. So if you either listen to music or you want to work on your PC you still need your sound back up and running as it did in your previous Windows version.
Usually the sound on Windows 8.1 shows inactive if you have the sound icon in the lower right corner of the screen marked with an “X”. If you click on the sound icon it will run the Windows 8.1 troubleshooter but in this particular case it will not work. Another symptom you will get if the Audio card is not working is by going to control panel and look there for your card, it should show as unplugged.
Unfortunately after doing drivers check in your device manager the driver will be up to date but your sound on Windows 8.1 will not be working. After seeing that people using Windows 8.1 have this exact issue I have decided to explain below how we can fix it and prevent it from happening in the future.
Tutorial on how to fix sound in Windows 8.1
- We will need to go and download an IDT Audio Installer following the link below.
- Now we will need to save this IDT Audio to our Download folder you have on Windows 8.1
- We need to open the “Control panel” in Windows 8.1
- In “Control Panel” we need to open “Device Manager”
- In “Device Manager” we will need to open “Sound, Video and Game Controllers”.
- In “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” you will have to look for “IDT HD Audio” or something that has IDT in the name.
- Click (right click) the device with IDT in the name and select “Uninstall”
- After doing this you will get a message telling you if you want to delete the current drivers, you will need to check the box that allows the removal of current driver (If you get no IDT entry keep doing the steps posted below).
- After you have done the steps above shut down your Laptop.
- Unplug the AC power adapter.
- Remove the battery of the Windows 8.1 Laptop.
- Keep the power button of the Windows 8.1 laptop pressed for approximately 40 seconds.
- Put the batter back into the laptop.
- Plug in the AC power adapter into your laptop.
- Press a few times the “Esc” button when the laptop is starting.
- Select from that menu to enter the BIOS by pressing “F10”
- After this you need to press “F5” to “load defaults” option(if it is not F5 then read what it says on the lower side of the screen for what you need to press to load defaults).
- Select “Yes” using the arrow keys on your keyboard and press “Enter”.
- Press “F10” again and select from the arrow keys “Yes”.
- Windows 8.1 will load an audio driver but let it finish.
- Open the download folder where you downloaded the IDT Audio.
- Click (right click) on the IDT Audio installer and select from there “Run as administrator” in order for the installation to start correctly.
- After the installation of the IDT Audio is completed click (right click) on the speaker icon and select from there “Playback Devices”.
- Click (left click) the “Speaker and Headphones” to select it and afterwards click (left click) the “Set Default” button on your screen.
- Now all you have to do is check the volume you have set in Windows 8.1 from the speaker icon in the lower right side of the screen and raise it a bit so you can check if it works.
- Run a music video for example and see if you have your sound back.
Above you have the steps required to fix your audio issue on Windows 8.1 but keep in mind that this will not solve any issue related directly to your hardware sound card or your sound system. This will solve the specific Windows 8.1 problem after updating.
For any thoughts on the audio sound not working in Windows 8.1 write us below and we will help you along the way to user your system in the best way possible.