0x80240009 Windows Update Error: How to Fix It
Repairing some broken system files should do the trick here
- If you are troubled by the update error 0x80240009, it might be because of antivirus interference.
- A simple and effective solution to this problem is to delete the update download path.
- Another excellent solution is to run an SFC scan and restart your PC.
The error 0x80240009 is one of the many frustrating update errors plaguing Windows PC. It denotes that there might be another running process, causing conflicts with the update process.
This prevents the update from going through. If you also face this issue, the solutions in this guide will help you fix it quickly.
Why am I getting the 0x80240009 error?
Listed below are some of the potential factors that can cause the 0x80240009 error:
- Corrupt update cache: Sometimes, this issue can be due to a faulty or corrupt Windows update cache. The solution to this is to clear the files and restart some processes.
- Antivirus interference: At times, you might experience this error code because your antivirus software is blocking the update. What you need to do here is to disable the security software temporarily.
- Faulty system files: In some cases, this issue can be down to broken or missing system files. You need to repair these files to get past this issue.
How can I fix the Windows update error 0x80240009?
1. Clear Windows update cache
- Press the Windows key + R, type cmd, and select Run as administrator under Command Prompt.
- Now, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
Net stop bits
Net stop wuauserv
Net stop appidsvc
Net stop cryptsvc
Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat /Q
Del "%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat" /Q
Del %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /Q
Net start bits
Net start wuauserv
Net start appidsvc
Net start cryptsvc
- Finally, wait for the command to finish running and try the update again.
Oftentimes, the update error 0x80240009 is caused by a corrupt update cache. You can fix this by clearing the faulty files and allowing your PC to build another.
2. Repair system files
- Press the Windows key, type cmd, and select Run as administrator under Command Prompt.
- Type the command below and hit Enter:
- Finally, wait for the command to finish running and restart your PC.
This issue might sometimes be due to problems with your system files. Restoring these files should do the trick in this case.
To make things easier and faster, we recommend using a dedicated tool named Fortect. This practical software will restore any broken, missing, or faulty system files with just a few clicks of the mouse.
3. Disable antivirus
- Press the Windows key + S, type virus, and click Virus & threat protection.
- Click the Manage settings link.
- Finally, toggle the switch for Real-time protection backward to disable it.
Some users have complained that the update error 0x80240009 was caused by interference from their antivirus. The quickest way around this is to disable the antivirus temporarily.
If you are using a third-party antivirus, you can right-click the icon on the Taskbar and select Disable or the corresponding option.
4. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + I and select Troubleshoot in the right pane.
- Click Other troubleshooters on the next page.
- Finally, click the Run button before the Windows Update option.
Sometimes, you can get the 0x80240009 error message because of minor glitches with the update process. The solution is to run the Windows Update troubleshooter, which will help you restart the needed processes.
5. Delete the update download path
- Press the Windows key + R, type regedit, and click OK.
- Now, navigate to the path below in the left pane:
- Next, locate the WUServer and WIStatusServer options in the right pane. If these two options are unavailable, this solution won’t work for you.
- Finally, right-click each of them and select the Delete option.
At times, you might be able to get rid of the Windows update error 0x80240009 by clearing the update download path. This should clear up any potential glitch that can cause the issue.
We have reached the end of this detailed guide on fixing the Windows update error 0x80240009. With the information in this article, you should now be able to solve the problem for good.
If you are dealing with a similar issue in Windows update error 0xc1900223, check our detailed guide to fix it quickly.
Feel free to let us know the solution that helped you fix this issue in the comments below.
Still experiencing issues?
If the above suggestions have not solved your problem, your computer may experience more severe Windows troubles. We suggest choosing an all-in-one solution like Fortect to fix problems efficiently. After installation, just click the View&Fix button and then press Start Repair.