- There are a lot of different ways to access the settings menu for the webcam. The easiest one is to left-click on the Webcam app. Another way is to reach for the camera settings on the bottom right corner of the desktop.
- If the webcam doesn't work, the first thing to check is the connection to your computer. Is it plugged in correctly? Can you test it on another computer? If so, do that to ensure that the webcam is working properly.
- If you have problems with your webcam or just need guidance, the webcam troubleshooting section is for you.
- If you need to fix your laptop or desktop check out our Laptop & PC category.
As always Windows 10 came with a whole lot of different ways to access the settings menu for different devices on your Windows 10 PC or laptop and the webcam settings are no different from the others.
Fortunately for us, there is a very easy tutorial below on how we can get to the webcam settings and setup everything we need from there.
First of all, we need to know if we have our webcam functioning correctly because if it is a hardware malfunction you will have to call your webcam or PC manufacturer to resolve the issue or send you a new webcam.
Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to check the wiring from the webcam and be sure you have it powered up.
How I can get to the webcam settings on Windows 10?
If the Windows 10 PC or laptop has a built in webcam or a wired webcam we can use the Windows 10 app to access the webcam settings needed.
We can use a few different methods to open the webcam app.
- If you are in the Start screen of Windows 10 we need to click (left click) on the Webcam app. Also, another way to open the Camera app is within the desktop (we can access this by going with the mouse to the lower right side of the screen or swipe from the right side to the center of the screen if you have a tablet for example).
- Click(left click) on Search.
- Type Camera in the search box presented.
- Click(left click) on the Camera icon presented in the results of the search.
- A third method on how to access the webcam settings is from your locked user screen, all you have to do is left click and drag down to open the webcam app.
- To enter the webcam settings we need to right-click inside the webcam app when we are taking a photo.
- You will need to click (left click) on the settings you want to change like: change to a different webcam, Set the self-timer, Change the exposure and Spot adjust. These settings might differ depending on what your webcam is able to do for example your webcam might not support the Spot adjust option, therefore, you won’t have it in the settings menu.
If your Windows 10 search box is missing, get it back right away with these simple steps.
Also, if you can’t take photos with the Camera app, take a look on this dedicated guide that will help you solve the issue.
We can go to the webcam settings in Windows 10 from the webcam or camera app as well.
- You will need to open the camera or webcam app, go with your mouse to the lower right corner of the screen and click (left click) on Settings. After you are in the Settings menu we need to click (left click) on Options.
- From the Options menu you have in front of the screen you can adjust the settings of the webcam according to your needs. Some of the available settings you might have there are the Show or hide grid lines, Turn the microphone on or off”, and “Turn video stabilization on or off”.
If you’re interested in how to change the save location of your photos on Windows 10, check out this guide that will help you do just that.
So there you go, in just a few seconds of your time you can access the camera or webcam settings in Windows 10, 8.1 and customize them for your personal use.
In case you cannot use some important features, try to access them via a third-party camera software which will replace you these options and will allow you access many interesting features.
Fix various webcam issues in Windows 10
In case you encounter some webcam related problems, its Settings are not a solution. You will need a full fix in order to get the job done, especially if the camera is not working on your Windows 10PC.
For this error, we have a dedicated fix article with multiple solutions that will help you.
Some Toshiba users reported issues with their laptop webcam. If you are one of these users, check this guide as it will manage your camera to work smoothly.
For all other users that have other laptop brands, they can simply not access their camera on their Windows 10 systems while using Skype.
But, as you can guess, we also have an answer to this issue.
If your PC doesn’t have an integrated webcam, take a look at our list with the best 4k webcams available right now.
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
FAQ: Read more about webcam issues
- How do I access my webcam settings on Windows 10?
Open Privacy settings and select the Camera from the left menu. We have a complete guide to help you with the whole process.
- What to do when webcam is not working?
First, check your antivirus settings, then verify if the camera is plugged in and detected by your computer. If the problem persists, check our expert guide to fix webcam issues.
- How do I change the camera settings on my laptop?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.