- Internet Explorer has a long history with Windows 10, and so is the list of issues associated with it.
- The article below will showcase what you can do when an add-on fails to launch in IE.
- To read more about this amazing browser, check out our dedicated Internet Explorer Hub.
- If you want to know more about browsers in general, visit our dedicated Browsers page.
The Add-on for the website failed to run error is usually encountered on older Windows versions and solely on Internet Explorer. The error prevents users from logging in or accessing certain websites.
One user shared his concerns on the Microsoft Answers support forum.
I’m running Windows 8.1 with internet explorer 11. I just started getting addon failed to run when I go to logmein and other web sites, that I haven’t had a problem until recently. Don’t recall doing anything to Internet explorer…
Fix this Internet Explorer error by following the steps below.
How do I fix a failed add-on?
1. Modify security settings in Internet options
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- On the homepage, navigate to the Tools icon and click on it.
- Locate and select Internet options.
- Click on Security. Custom level on Internet Options” src=”https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/security-tab.png” alt=”Internet Options Security Custom Level add on for the website failed to run” width=”382″ height=”500″>
- Locate and select Internet > Custom Level.
- Activate/enable the following settings:
7. Save changes and exit the program.
2. Run the browser without add-ons (Windows 7)
- Click on the Windows icon to open the Start
- In the menu, click on All Programs.
- Select Accessories.
- Click on System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-on).
- Exit program and check if the issue is resolved
If you are still getting the error message after running this procedure, you can try the next troubleshooting method.
3. Manage add-ons on Internet Explorer
- Open the Start menu: click on the Windows icon on your screen display.
- In the menu, locate the search bar and key in Internet Explorer.
- Select Internet Explorer on the list of search results.
- On the browser‘s homepage, locate and click on the Tools icon.
- Select Manage Add-ons.
- Disable the add-ons one by one, until you identify the problematic one(s).
- Re-enable other add-ons.
- Close program.
4. Reset browser
- Launch the browser.
- Navigate to the Tools icon and click on it.
- Select Internet options on the displayed window.
- Locate and click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Reset under the tab. This action will prompt up a confirmation dialog box, with reads – Reset Internet Explorer Settings.
- Click on Reset in the dialog box to confirm the action
- Allow the system to reset the browser.
- Click Close > OK.
- Restart computer.
After restarting your PC, the Add-on for the website failed to run error should now be fixed.
On rare occasions, when this error message still pops up after running all the four troubleshooting fixes in this tutorial, you can contact the Microsoft support team.