- Internet Explorer has a long history with Windows 10, and so is the list of issues associated with it.
- The article below will showcase what you can do when an add-on fails to launch in IE.
- This error is usually encountered on older Windows iterations and solely in IE.
The Add-on for the website failed to run error is usually encountered on older Windows versions. It was an Internet Explorer-specific error, but since the browser has been replaced with Microsoft Edge it isn’t anymore.
Today we will address this issue, and present you with a list of methods that you can apply in Microsoft Edge as well as Chrome to fix it.
Why am I getting an add-on for this website failed to run?
The error message explains that an irregular behavior on the part of one of your browser’s add-ons was the root cause of the error message that was thrown by the browser.
It is not known for sure if the situation was misunderstood by your browser or whether the add-on encountered a fault along the route. In spite of this, we are ready with responses for every contingency that may arise. Keep on reading!
Users reported similar issues which we have addressed in the following section. Some of the most common errors are the following:
- Internet Explorer an add-on for this website failed to run
- An add-on for this website failed to run in IE11 on Windows 10
- An add-on for this website failed to run in Edge
- Java: an add-on for this website failed to run
- An add-on for this website failed to run in Active
- An add-on for this website failed to run in Chrome
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Incompatibility with add-ons on certain pages is a typical issue for most browsers, but not for Opera One. When you have a lot of them in your browser, a fully-supported web crawler is a convenient ally.
The extensions page is where you can find extensions that you have added to your Opera One browser. There, you may switch extensions on and off, as well as change their settings or troubleshoot them.
Opera OneThe Extension manager in this browser is essential for most of us.
Without further ado, let’s see what you can do if you get the An add on for this website failed to run error message. Follow along!
How do you fix an add-on for this website failed to run?
1. Allow IE mode
- Open Edge and click the three dot-menu followed by Settings.
- Next, navigate to Default browser and change the option next to Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) to Allow.
In addition to all of the new features and enhancements that have been added to the version of Microsoft Edge that is powered by the Chromium engine, Microsoft has also included a compatibility mode that loads older webpages by employing the rendering engine from Internet Explorer.
2. Turn off your extensions in Edge
- Open Edge then click the three-dot menu followed by Extensions.
- Next, select Manage Extensions.
- Here, click the toggle button next to all your extensions to turn them off then check whether the An add on for this website failed to run error is gone.
3. Turn off extensions in Chrome
- If you got An add on for this website failed to run, start a new Chrome window and click on the three-dot menu followed by More tools and Extensions.
- Next, turn off the toggle next to all of your extensions to fix the issue in Chrome.
4. Reset browser
- Open Edge and click the three-dot menu followed by Settings.
- Here, navigate to Reset settings followed by Restore settings to their default values.
- Click Reset and you’re done!
- Resetting Google Chrome will turn off all its extensions, which might fix the error. Start by clicking on the three-dot menu followed by Settings.
- From the left menu select Reset and clean up.
- Next, click the Restore settings to their original defaults option.
- Finally, click Reset settings.
Remember that restarting your browser will delete all of your saved settings and preferences (for example, saved passwords, history, your home page, and saved website-handling information). It is not possible to erase your Favorites.
After restarting your PC, the Add-on for the website failed to run error should now be fixed.
On rare occasions, when this error message still pops up after running all the four troubleshooting fixes in this tutorial, you can contact the Microsoft support team.
We recommend that you also take a look at our post on the 7 best extensions to speed up Chrome.
Don’t hesitate to leave a comment in the section below and share your thoughts with us. Thanks for reading!