- Adobe Acrobat is probably the most well-known PDF viewer and editor in the world.
- Adobe Acrobat lets you scan and then transform the images into PDF documents.
- For more guides on this amazing tool, check out our dedicated Adobe Acrobat Hub.
- Troubleshooting guides can also be found on our Adobe Fix page.
A wide range of users have reported encountering issues when trying to use presets for scanning files with Acrobat DC and their scanner hardware. In some cases, the program freezes on one screen while loading the preset.
In other cases, it automatically goes back to the default option, after the preset has been selected. This can be extremely frustrating, as you can’t take advantage fully of the services offered by Adobe Acrobat DC.
This problem can cause even more stress if you need to scan and process a large batch of files.
For these reasons, in this article, we will explore some of the best troubleshooting methods to try and solve this issue. Please follow the steps provided in this guide carefully in order to avoid causing any other issues.
What can I do if Adobe scanner does not support presets?
Before going through any troubleshooting steps, make sure that your issue isn’t caused by you having an outdated version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
This is a common mistake, but it happens far too often to be ignored, so the best thing to try before attempting any fixes is to make sure that you are indeed updated.
More so, it is best if you uninstall the old version and perform a clean install.
2. Check if the scanner works properly in other software
- In order to check if the issue is coming from your scanner hardware, try scanning your document using another application from your PC (like Microsoft Word).
- If the issue persists, you will need to contact the manufacturer of the scanner device and ask them for help.
3. Install the latest driver version for your scanner
- Visit the scanner manufacturer website and download the latest driver.
- Navigate to Windows (or Winnt) folder on your PC, and delete all files that contain twain in their name (ex. twain_32.dll).
- Restart your PC.
- Install the latest scanner driver version by following the on-screen instructions.
You can also automatically download the latest drivers for your scanner and other hardware by using third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
4. Restart your PC after disabling all startup items
- Close all running applications.
- Press Win + R keys on your keyboard -> type msconfig'(without quotes) -> press Enter.
- Inside the newly opened window, select the Startup tab ->select Open Task Manager -> Disable all startup apps.
- Click Ok and restart Windows.
- Check to see if the issue persists.
Note: Follow the steps from method 3 and enable all start-up options to restore the Startup applications to normal mode.
In this article, we explored some of the best troubleshooting methods to try and solve the issue caused by Adobe presets not working properly in Adobe Acrobat.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about scanning with Adobe
- Does Adobe have a dedicated scanning tool?
Yes, an app called Adobe Scan is available for free, but it is only for mobile.
- Can I scan documents using Adobe Acrobat?
Yes, scanned documents can then be converted to PDF and later edited using Adobe Acrobat.
- Is Adobe Scan free?
Yes, the Adobe Scan mobile app is 100% free of charge. For PC users, you should know that all Adobe products can also be tested for 7 days free-of-charge, including big titles like Adobe Photoshop.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.