Backtracker is Asus’s own Backup disk software that comes pre-installed with the Asus laptops. It is a handy utility that allows you to create a system recovery drive with the system image. However, not all the Asus laptops support Backtracker. If you try to run the Asus Backtracker app on the latest Windows 10 computer you may get Asus Backtracker does not support your system error.
Sadly, Asus Backtracker is only supported by the Asus laptops running on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Luckily, there are some built-in alternatives.
If you are trying to install Asus Backtracker on your computer, here is an introduction to Asus Backtracker, how to install it, and what to do if your system does not support Asus Backtracker.
What does Asus Backtracker do?
The Asus laptops running on the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Operating System did not come with the traditional recovery DVD. Instead, it comes with the Asus Backtracker app. The Asus Backtracker app particularly helps for the laptops that do not come with any DVD drive.
Asus Backtracker is an official Asus software that allows you to back up the Windows OS image to a USB drive. Once you have created the recovery USB drive, you can use it to:
- Reinstall the Windows OS using the recovery USB drive after replacing the hard drive due to corruption.
- Delete the recovery partition in case HDD runs out of space.
However, Asus Backtracker has its limitations, which is one of the reasons why it was retired with the Windows 8/8.1 laptops.
- It only supported the Windows 8/8.1 OS.
- It created the recovery image in the Hard drive, so, if the hard drive is faulty, there is no way to use the recovery image.
- Backtracker will not create a backup of personal data but only system files.
What to do if Asus Backtracker does not work on my PC?
If the Asus backtracker is not compatible with your Windows OS or the Asus laptop, there are other alternatives to create the recovery drive or system repair disk.
To create a Recovery Drive, you need a DVD or a USB drive to store the recovery image. Here is how to do it.
- Insert the USB drive into the computer.
- Type Recovery Drive in the search and click on create a recovery drive option.
- In the Recovery Drive window, select “Back up system files to the recovery drive” option and click on Next. Selecting this option will take more time to create the Recovery Drive, but can help you recover your system faster.
- Select the USB drive from the list and click Next.
- Click on the Create button to begin the process. Note that, any data in the USB drive will be deleted, so create a backup of the USB drive data before creating a recovery drive.
- When done, click on Finish.
Create a System Repair Disc
If you prefer a DVD recovery drive, you can do this using the System Repair Disk.
- Insert the DVD in the drive.
- Open the Control Panel and go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
- Click on “Create a System repair disc“.
- Select the drive and click on Create Disc.
- Once done, click on Close.
You can use the USB or the DVD recovery drive if anything goes wrong with your system. Simply insert the media and restart the system. Follow the on-screen instructions to restore the PC.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: