Audio jack stopped working in Windows 10
The audio jack is the connector point between audio devices and PC. However, that can sometimes suddenly stop working. When that happens, connected headphones and speakers will have no sound. So if one of your audio jacks stops working, this is how you can fix it so that connected devices, such as headphones, have sound.
Audio jack stopped working [FIX]
Reinsert the Audio Device in Audio Jack
If the sound suddenly goes off with speakers or headphones connected, first reinsert the audio device. Unplug the device, clean the plug and restart Windows. Reinsert the headphones or speakers into the desktop’s or laptop’s audio jack after the restart.
Run the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows
If the audio jack still isn’t working, run the sound troubleshooter. Windows has numerous troubleshooters that can fix software or hardware issues. This is how you can run the sound troubleshooter in Windows 10.
- Right-click the speaker icon on your system tray to open the context menu. There you can select Troubleshoot sound problems to open the troubleshooter in the snapshot below.
- If you can’t find that option on the speaker context menu, click the Cortana button on the taskbar and enter ‘sound troubleshooter.’ Then select to open Find and fix audio playback.
- Click Advanced and select Apply repairs automatically.
- Press the Next button to run the sound troubleshooter.
Enable Audio for the Line-in Connection
It might be the case that you’ve muted the line-in connection to your desktop’s sound card. Consequently, devices plugged into the audio jack will not produce any sound. You can configure line-in connection sound as follows.
- Click the Cortana button on taskbar, and then enter ‘audio devices’ in the search box.
- Select Manage audio devices to open the window below.
- Click the Playback tab, select Speakers (or other external audio device) and press the Properties button.
- Next, select the Levels tab; and then you can press Mute under Line in to enable line-in connection sound.
Turn off Sound Enhancements
Windows 10 has sound enhancements that supposedly enhance the audio effects. However, they can also be an audio hindrance. So it might be worth switching off the enhancements to see if that fixes the sound.
- Enter ‘audio devices’ in the Cortana search box. Select Manage audio devices to open the window below.
- Now you can right-click the headphones or speakers plugged into audio jack and select Properties.
- Select the Enhancements tab shown in the snapshot below.
- Deselect the Disable all sound effects option there. Alternatively, you can manually deselect the selected sound enhancement check boxes.
- Press the Apply > OK buttons on the window.
Check That the Connected Audio Device is the Default Playback Device
It might be the case that the headphones or speakers plugged into audio jack have not automatically been set as the default device. In which case, you won’t hear sound from them. You can select the default playback device as follows.
- Open the Sound window by entering ‘audio devices’ in the Cortana search box. Click Manage audio devices to open further options.
- Now click the Playback tab to open a list of connected audio devices. Select the device plugged into the audio jack, and click the Set default button.
- Press the Apply > OK buttons to confirm the new default setting.
Update the Sound Card Driver in Windows 10
Most sound issues are a consequence of lack of compatibility between the OS and sound card. As such, updating the sound card and other audio input drivers in Windows 10 might fix the audio jack. You can update the driver with Device Manager as follows.
- Press the Win key + X hotkey to open the Win + X menu. You can select to open Device Manager from there.
- First, select Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager.
- Then you can right-click your sound card and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software to scan for driver updates. If Windows finds any updates, it will automatically download them.
- Even if Windows doesn’t find any driver update, it might still be worth checking for sound card driver updates on the device manufacturer’s website.
- If you can’t update the driver, reinstall it instead to kick-start it. You can do that by right-clicking the sound card in Device Manager and selecting Uninstall.
- Now when you restart your desktop or laptop, Windows will automatically reinstall the sound driver.
Those are a few ways you can feasibly fix an audio jack that stops working. If none of the above suggestions fix it, then your audio device’s jack might require repairs or replacement. If the speakers or headphones are still within warranty, return them to the manufacturer for repairs.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to turn books into audiobooks
- Top 10 audiobook players for PC users
- 25 great tools to extract audio from video files
Some users have reported incorrect name appearing in the Skype Business address book. This can become very frustrating, especially if your Skype address book has […]
The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is here but that doesn’t mean the Redmond giant stopped thinking about how to further improve the OS. A […]
Many Reddit users reported that the newest Windows 10 update causes problems for ICH6 and ICH9 QEMU/VIRTIO devices. Here’s how one user describes this problem: […]