FIX: AVG antivirus software won’t update
It’s more essential to update anti-virus utilities than most software. However, some users have stated on forums that their AVG anti-virus utilities don’t update. That leaves them with outdated AVG anti-virus software. Here are a few resolutions that might fix an AVG utility that isn’t updating.
What to do if AVG fails to update
- Manually Update AVG
- Delete Temporary Update Files
- Scan for Malware
- Turn Off the Windows Firewall
- Reinstall AVG Antivirus
1. Manually Update AVG
First, try updating AVG manually. That’s not exactly a fix for AVG‘s automatic updates, but at least you might then get the software updated. This is how you can manually update AVG.
- First, open this page in your browser.
- Select your AVG version on the page, and then click an update to save to HDD or USB drive.
- If you’re utilizing the freeware AVG, you can get the July 2018 updates from this webpage.
- Open your AVG utility in Windows.
- Click Options at the top right of the AVG window.
- Then select Update from directory to open a Browse for Folder window.
- Select the folder that includes the AVG update, and press the OK button.
2. Delete Temporary Update Files
Deleting the software’s temporary update files might fix AVG updates if AVG returns an update or general error message when updating. To do that, open the AVG window.
- Click Options and select Advanced settings on the menu.
- Click the + to expand Update, and press the Manage button.
- Then you can select a Delete temporary update files option.
- Click Yes to confirm and erase temporary update files.
3. Scan for Malware
Malware can block AVG updates. As such, purging malware might fix the utility’s updates. You can do that with Malwarebytes. Press the Free Download button on this page to add the freeware Malwarebytes to Windows. Then you can run a scan with that software by pressing its Scan Now button.
4. Turn Off the Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall might be blocking AVG from updating. To ensure that isn’t the case, you can temporarily switch that firewall off. This is how you can turn the firewall off in Windows 10.
- Open the Cortana search box by pressing the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Input the keyword ‘Windows Defender’ in Cortana’s search box, and select to open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the firewall settings shown directly below.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options there, and press the OK button. You can turn the firewall back on after AVG updates.
5. Reinstall AVG Software
Reinstalling the AVG utility will at least ensure that you have the latest version installed. A fresh copy of AVG will also replace the utility’s components and settings, which can fix numerous update issues. Follow the guidelines below to reinstall AVG.
- Open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows + X hotkey and selecting Run.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Select your AVG anti-virus package listed there, and press its Uninstall button.
- Then click Yes to confirm that you intend to remove the software.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the software.
- Alternatively, you can more thoroughly remove AVG utilities with AVG Remover. Click Download on this page to add AVG Remover to Windows.
- Uninstall the anti-virus software with AVG Remover, and restart Windows.
- You can download the latest AVG software from this page.
- Then reinstall your AVG utility with its setup wizard. Note that you might also need to reactivate non-freeware AVG anti-virus software with a product key.
One, or more, of those resolutions might get your AVG anti-virus software updated. Note that you can also select a Repair option for AVG in the Programs and Features Control Panel applet. That option might also come in handy for fixing AVG update errors.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: AVG install error on Windows 10
- AVG PC TuneUp cleans your Microsoft Store apps (+ bonus tools)
- How to fix AVG install if it gets stuck
Counter Strike: Global Offensive is currently the most popular first person shooter on PC, but it seems that some Windows 10 users are having certain […]
Live streaming is quickly becoming one of the most important ways people use to broadcast themselves online. People use live streaming to cover a wide […]