- A hard drive contains millions of sectors which over time can get damaged or become inaccessible for a variety of reasons - logical corruption, physical damage of the disk ( possibly due to the dropping of the hard disk), etc.
- When a section of the hard drive is inaccessible, in the worst-case scenario, it can cause the operating system to crash, and deny you access to the whole hard drive.
- Check out our Hard Drive section if you want to find out more about the matter.
- We might also be able to help you in case you're experiencing issues with your hard drive.
The role of a hard disk in a computer system is extremely important because it holds all your valuable information and keeps the operating system working properly. The data on the bad sectors may be temporarily or permanently lost depending on the cause of the problem.
Hardware errors are impossible to fix with software and can only be rectified by creating a back-up and replacing the hardware itself. If the damage is caused by software errors then you can fix them by using the appropriate software.
A hard drive contains millions of sectors which over time can get damaged or become inaccessible for a variety of reasons – logical corruption, physical damage of the disk ( possibly due to the dropping of the hard disk), etc.
When a section of the hard drive is inaccessible, in the worst-case scenario, it can cause the operating system to crash.
This is one of the most frequent root-causes for Blue Screen of Death errors, aka BSoD errors.
In this article, we will explore the best software options that allow you to easily fix your hard-drive bad sector malfunctions.
Top 3 bad sector repair software
Stellar Data Recovery (Recommended)
Stellar Data Recovery software allows you to recover lost or deleted files, folders, photos, documents, videos, and other files even if your hard drive was severely corrupted or due to accidental deletion or formatting.
Stellar Data Recovery has been perfecting its software for more than 25 years. During this time this company has received more than 100 awards for its top of the line products.
This is one of the leading names on the market in regards to the recovery of files a hard drive failure or formatting and offers you 3 great options that cover users’ needs from a basic user to the most advanced.
1. Stellar Data Recovery – Standard
The Standard version of this software is designed for the average PC user that needs help in recuperating lost or corrupted files like Office documents, emails, spreadsheets, presentations, photos, videos, audio files, and others.
Stellar Data Recovery-Windows Standard is limited to recover data up to 1GB which is more than enough for the average PC user. It can also recover data from external storage devices such as external hard-drives, SD cards, USB flash drives, Cameras, Camcorders, etc.
Stellar Data Recovery Standard v8 offers an easy-to-use and very user-friendly interface in order to make it as easy as possible for you to quickly undo any data loss issues encountered and it does so while preserving the original structure of the data.
All you need to do is connect the affected storage media (internal or external), launch the software and run a scan. Stellar Data Recovery V8’s very performant search feature will help you to easily locate specific files by searching by custom filters like file name, size, file type and even by ‘last modified date’ and ‘created date’.
In order for you to dig even deeper inside the affected hard-drive, Stellar Data Recovery Standard has a Deep Scan feature specifically designed to tackle damaged and formatted devices.
Sometimes we find that an entire partition of our hard-drive is missing. This powerful software has a built-in option called ‘Cannot Find Drive‘ that can recover an entire partition at once and even allows you to preview the data before you recover it.
⇒ Download now Stellar Data Recovery Standard edition
2. Stellar Data Recovery – Professional
The professional version of this amazing software holds all the capabilities mentioned above in Standard version with a few key added options:
- It recovers data that was deleted/lost from unbootable systems
- NTFS, exFAT, and FAT (FAT16/FAT32) support for formatted drives
- Selective file recovery with over 300 pre-listed files types or recover files with a particular file extension
- You can save and load scan information in order to save time
You can find a step-by-step guide to using this tool on StellarInfo’s page.
3. Stellar Data Recovery – Technician
This version of the software is the ultimate recovery tool, including all the options covered in the first two versions with a plethora of additional features:
- Safe and risk-free data recovery from logically corrupt or inaccessible RAID 0, RAID 5 and RAID 6 servers
- Data recovery for formatted or deleted volumes
- Remote recovery – recovers data remotely over a network
- It can create Virtual RAID when probable RAID construction fails
- The tool can recover data from lost/deleted FAT, exFAT, and NTFS partitions
- RAW recovery – of the entire RAID array
- It can create images of your hard drive containing bad sectors
- It facilitates recovery from hard disks with 2 TB or more storage capacity
- Tracking of hard-disk performance with SMART attributes – displaying data in real-time
- Setting out threshold and Critical limits to monitor and analyze temperature, performance statistics, and health of hard disks
All the versions of the software have multiple languages support – English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese – that can be easily changed either pre-installation or post-installation from the Advanced Settings.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional
AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro has a variety of very efficient tools all tied up by a very user-friendly interface that simplifies your PC disk partition management and offers a safe environment for you to work in.
It allows you to create, resize, move, merge and split partitions without losing any data and even repairs MBR (Master Boot Record) with ease.
AOMEI Partition Assistant supported devices include:
- Traditional hard disk drive (HDD), solid-state drives (SSD) and SSHD.
- External hard drive (USB 1.0/2.0/3.0), PC card, all-flash drives, and Thumb Drives and other removable media.
- All storage devices recognized by Windows – IDE, SATA, iSCSI, SCSI disk, IEEE1394 (FireWire), etc.
- Hardware RAID, including RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, etc.
- Up to 128 disks in one system.
- Hard disk with 4096, 2048, 1024, 512 bytes sector size.
The tool supports the following file systems: TFS, FAT32/FAT16/FAT12, exFAT/ReFS, Ext2/Ext3/Ext4
If your computer doesn’t boot and you see an error information message like ”operating system not found”, ” missing operating system” or ”invalid partition table” that shows you that there is something wrong with the MBR.
MBR problems can be caused by a variety of reasons like the partition being infected by a trojan horse virus that your antivirus didn’t remove completely, or loading a backup image for your operating system that ended up messing the MBR. This problem also occurs on some external hard disks.
To see a step-by-step guide about how to solve these issues, check out this guide from AOMEI.
Disk Genius is one of the oldest software on the market with a great reputation in repairing computer software. Disk Genius is not only a great utility to take care of your PC and system but also to run tests and apply fixes to your hardware. Disk Utilities feature from Disk Genius is a great dedicated tool for repairing the bad sectors on your HDD.
Another important feature of this tool is the backup & restore option which allows you to save your system configurations before taking any disk repair actions.
Here is a quick overview of the most important processes that it can perform:
- Check and repair bad sectors on HDD, SSD, external HDD, and other storage devices
- Disk and partition management: format, resize, split, clone, hide, extend
- Create WinPE bootable disk so you could access your disk when the system crashes or the pc has no OS
- Backup and restore partition
- Recover lost data from your disk and storage devices
These are only some of its key features but they’re the most important if you want to keep your disk healthy. From repairing the bad sectors to recovering lost files – Disk Genius is your disk guardian. You can get a free version from the official website.
So, any of these three tools should help you to fix your hard drive bad sector issues.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment below.
FAQ: Learn more about HDD bad sector repair
- What is a bad sector?
A bad sector is a cluster of data on your HDD or SSD that become impossible to read. If left untreated, they can become a real hazard to your hard drive, as a result of stressing its read arm.
- What’s the difference between hard and soft bad sectors?
To put it shortly, hard bad sectors are non-recoverable, and the soft ones can usually be repaired. Hard bad sectors are usually a consequence of physical hard drive events, such as increased heat, or a fault in its mechanical parts. Soft ones appear whenever a sector ECC (error correction code) doesn’t match the content on the sector.
- Can you fix bad sectors on Windows 10?
Fortunately, even old versions of Windows have this nice tool called the “Chkdsk” (Check Disk). Usually, this tool may run if it detects faults on your system, but you can run it by yourself, as well, by writing “chkdsk” in a CMD window.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.