- eBooks are an excellent way of bringing an age-old learning method into the XXIst century.
- Anyone can create their own eBooks now as long as they have the right tools at their disposal.
- One good example for those looking to create their first eBooks is Adobe InDesign which balances out a professional toolset with a user-friendly interface.
- For more great articles, check out our Business page.
Today’s competitive world makes it vital for book authors or content marketers to create eBooks that really appeal to readers. eBooks are some of the best platforms to keep us engaged digitally, and they’re also one of the best ways that you can pass your content to a more extensive audience base.
An elaborately created eBook is able to convince customers and readers of the author’s knowledge and resources. Readers can download an eBook right away rather than waiting for the physical version to be released and this will keep the content fresh in their mind.
Here are five of the best tools for creating interactive eBooks.
What are the best tools to create interactive eBooks?
Not only can Adobe In Design be used to create eBooks, but once you have it you can also create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentations, and books.
Of course, eBooks work best on tablets and other touchscreen-enabled devices. That is precisely why it is great that Adobe InDesign can publish content suitable for tablet devices thanks to the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.
The interface is fairly simple to use, especially if you’re an Adobe fan, so getting used to the program in no time.
Speaking of Adobe in general, InDesign is perfectly capable of integrating with many other Adobe Products, such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
Here are some of the things that you should expect from Adobe InDesign:
- Features PDF Accessibility Enhancements
- Gain access to alternative text
- Tag Page Items
- Offers support for endnotes
- Comes with HTML export capabilities
- Font Search and Filter
- Paragraph Borders
- Offers text management in Creative Cloud Libraries
How do I create an interactive eBook in InDesign?
- Download and install Adobe InDesign
- Open the document that you want to turn into an eBook
- Add clickable cross-reference links
- You can do this by right-clicking and choosing Interactive > New Hyperlink
- Highlight the segment of text that you want to use as your cross-reference link
- With the text still highlighted, right-click > Interactive > New Hyperlink Destination.
- Once you’ve prepared your hyperlinks and cross-references, it is time to export your document as an interactive PDF.
- Click on File > Export
- Give the eBook a name and choose an appropriate file path.
- From the Format menu, choose Adobe PDF (Interactive)
- Use the Image Handling page to adjust the conversion settings of your images.
- Click Save
Lastly, you don’t have to worry about not having any money upfront, since you can access a free 7-day trial where you can test out all Adobe products.
Kotobee allows you to create interactive eBooks effortlessly even if you are a beginner.
Check out the most important functionalities that come together with this software:
- Besides creating interactive eBooks, you will also be able to export them to the web, mobile, and desktop.
- You will be able to connect your eBook to the cloud and control users’ access and also integrate with external systems.
- You will have the chance to provide users with interactive reading tools via a standalone or an embedded reader.
- Kotobee allows you to use videos, interactive images, and also widgets to engage readers.
Check out more features that are packed in Kotobee and get started with this tool by heading to its official website.
Flip PDF is a suite of powerful eBook publishing tools for eBook authors to create cross-platform eBooks. With Flip PDF, you can create an eBook from a PDF.
Check out the best features that you will be able to enjoy if you get this eBook creator:
- Using this tool, you can import a PDF of your eBook and add interactive features to it.
- You will also be able to build a responsive page-flipping eBook.
- In just a few minutes you can publish animated eBooks across various channels.
- You can make sure that your eBook can be accessed from more devices.
- If you want to highlight the main points on the page of your publication, the application of Hot Spot to your eBook will maximize your marketing effectiveness.
- You will also be able to measure the number of your visitors with Google Analytics.
Download Flip PFD from the official website and try it out to see more exciting features.
ePUBee Maker is not quite the same as the other tools included in this list because it’s just a tiny yet powerful Word add-in that will help you publish EPUB, Mobi, and PDF eBooks.
Check out the most exciting features that are included in ePUBee Maker:
- You will be able to set covers, edit metadata, table of contents to make the most professional eBooks.
- The add-in is simple to use, and you will just need to edit Word documents and press Publish.
- ePUBee Maker is completely free and safe to use, and it provides quick and efficient conversions.
Check out all the steps of how to use ePUBee Maker and get it from the official website.
This is another excellent eBook editor that comes packed with a lot of useful features. Here are the most important ones:
- You can create eBooks with ease even if you are a beginner.
- This tool comes with a Spellcheck Dictionary, and it includes a Preference setting that allows users to add words with numbers in them.
- The main menu comes with two Quick Launch Icons for plugins.
- The Metadata Editor placeholder text will help beginners get the hang of how things work.
- The Preview Windows Title bar shows the height and width of the Preview Window.
Download Sigil eBook and check out more functionalities that are included in this tool for creating eBooks.
Calibre is a multi-platform free eBook creator that comes packed with all the necessary features that help authors build their personal eBooks easily.
Take a look at the most exciting functionalities boasted by this tool:
- Calibre supports lots of file formats, and these can be converted to output documents.
- You can also edit any of your earlier eBooks that have been printed or downloaded by adding illustrations, author description, images for the eBook’s cover and more.
- You can add a customizable cover image to your eBook using the built-in cover creator.
- You will be able to add contents table, word search, and there’s a replacement option as well.
Calibre provides authors all the essential features and functionalities that they need for creating and managing eBooks with ease. Download this tool to check it out for yourself.
These are some of the best programs for creating interactive eBooks that are compatible with systems running Windows. Head to their official websites and check out their complete sets of functionalities to see which one is the best choice for you.
FAQ: Learn more about eBooks
- What is eBook and how does it work?
An eBook is a text presented in a format that makes it suitable to be read either on a computer or a handheld device. You can even use dedicated software to convert regular text into ebook-compatible formats.
- Where can I download eBooks for free?
Websites that allow the free download of eBooks include: Project Gutenberg, Open Library, the Google eBookstore, and more.
- What is the best software to make eBooks?
There are plenty of software tools that can help you create eBooks from scratch, but the best of the best has to be Adobe InDesign.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in February 2018 and was revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.