Using file sync software is essential for enterprises because most users work on more than one Windows 10 computer. Often entire teams work on the same document. As a result, all the changes made by different users have to be visible to all users.
File sync software is a lifesaver for many users. It saves you from manually syncing files on different computers. In this manner, the latest version of a file will be available on all the computers you and your teamwork on.
File sync software also acts as a backup tool, which can be very handy in the case of an unexpected event. Thus, you can avoid data loss in case of corruption or deletion of your files.
When choosing the right file sync software, you should use a series of criteria to evaluate the tool‘s performance such as:
- The user interface: the interface should be user-friendly and intuitive, with a barebone design
- The number of features supported: basic features such as schedulers, as well as advanced sync features, should be available
- Finally, the reliability of the tool: technical issues should be very rare events.
To help you decide which file sync software to install, we’ll list the 10 best Windows 10 file sync software. Together with a description of their main features and user feedback.
SyncBack SE (recommended)
SyncBack is the best Windows backup and synchronization program on the planet, according to its developers. This tool is reliable, flexible and robust, and its performance has been constantly improved thanks to all the upgrades it received since its launch in 2003.
SyncBack comes in three variants: SyncBackFree, which is a basic, free solution, SyncBackSE, a version ideal for home users and SyncBackPro for professional usage.
You can install all three versions on your computer to better compare the tools and spot the differences.
SyncBackFree offers the following features:
- Synchronize: Copy files in both directions
- Restore backup files easily
- Run programs before and after profiles
- Schedule backups
- Unicode enabled for non-English filenames
- Process unlimited filename lengths
- Simple and Advanced mode.
For more information about the features offered by SyncBackSE and SyncBackPro, you can check the SyncBack’s official page.
This file sync tool keeps your data synced between your computers. It is rather a specialized software that comes in two variants: Easy2Sync for files and Easy2Sync for Outlook.
Easy2Sync for Files has a dedicated wizard to help you get started. All data is kept on your computers, no third-party elements are involved in the sync process. You can set the tool to sync your files silently, or prompt dialog pop-ups when necessary.
Other features include:
- Easy2Sync supports all file types: Office files, mp3, images, movies, and any other file types
- Unlimited folders/number of files
- Various sync filters supported
- Update your homepage: simply synchronize your files with the (s)FTP server and all changes will be recognized and transferred.
Easy2Sync for Outlook works on Outlook 97 to 2016 and Windows NT to Windows 10. This software allows you to sync and share your Google calendar, synch the Exchange server with Outlook, back up your Outlook emails, and more.
User feedback: “I should add, you really do make a fine product, especially when compared with everyone else out there. In short, you have no competition.”
You can try Easy2Sync for free, or buy the software for $66.30 and you’ll get 1 year of free support and free updates, and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
This free open-source software will help you save your time setting up and running backup actions.
Install Freefile Sync, customize your sync settings and let this tool do its job. The user interface is very intuitive, full of colors and you can easily see what each option does.
The list of features is impressive and includes:
- No limitations on how many files you can sync.
- Synchronize MTP devices
- Process multiple folder pairs
- Comprehensive and detailed error reporting
- Detect conflicts and propagate deletions
- Cross-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- Case-sensitive synchronization.
User feedback: “After wasting $40+ dollars on a competitor’s product, I tried out Freefilesync. FreefileSync was able to compare hundreds of thousands of files […] in 10 minutes, which was taking the competitor’s product over 3 hours.”
You can download Freefile sync for free from the tool‘s official page.
PureSync is a Windows software that synchronizes your files and folders automatically in the background. This file sync software offers an impressive list of features, together with an easy-to-use interface.
PureSync supports local drives, server volumes, FTP, some MTP devices, WebDAV and can copy open/locked files, and run synchronization/backup with another user.
It can also restore files from a Windows restore point and supports photo-syncing for digital cameras.
Other features include:
- Transfer files from one computer to another
- Automatic adaption to the folder at the destination
- Various automatic sync/ back up options: scheduled, drive connected, on modification of a file, at logon/logoff, user-definable events
- Filenames/path with more than 260 characters are supported
- Many filter possibilities.
You can download PureSync for free from Jumping Bytes, here.
Not many Windows 10 users have heard of Synchredible, but this tool is actually an impressive file sync software. You can sync individual files or an entire drive. A user-friendly software wizard will assist you to set up the sync options.
Synchredible also synchronizes folders via an external network or when using a USB device. This tool backs up your files as well, transferring them to your preferred location. The user interface is available in nine languages.
Other features include:
- One direction and bi-directional file sync support
- Synchronizes subdials, changed and unchanged files
- Synchronization preview
- CRC32 verification of synchronized files
- Set buffer size of copy buffers.
You can download the free version of Synchredible from Ascomp.
Allway Sync is a file sync tool with a very well designed and easy-to-use interface.
It is one of the most complex file sync software available on the market and uses innovative synchronization algorithms to synchronize your files between PCs, laptops, USB drives, remote FTP/SFTP and WebDAV servers, and other storage platforms.
Allway Sync doesn’t contain any spyware, adware, or malware, unlike other free file sync tools. Also, there is no limit regarding the number of computers you can install it on.
Other features include:
- Automatic, on-screen, context-sensitive hints
- The multilingual user interface supports more than 30 languages
- File modifications and deletions are tracked in a database
- Supports virtually all file systems.
User feedback: “With very regular updates and real improvements over the early versions, you have done for data synchronization what WinZip did for compression.”
You can download Allway Sync for free from the software’s official page, here.
GoodSync backs up and syncs your files between any device or platform without storing them in the cloud. Thanks to the innovative technology it uses, GoodSync offers reliable bi-directional synchronization for all your files.
Setting up this tool to automate synchronization is very easy and it takes less than one minute. All you need to do is click on the Analyze button and review the proposed changes. To enable syncing, click on the Sync button and you’re done.
Key features include:
- GoodSync can send over only changed blocks of big files, improving transfer speed
- It detects file/folder renames and executes them as Move commands
- It can run sync in several threads, working in parallel to achieve faster file transfer speed
- Files can be excluded from synchronization based on name pattern, size, mod time
- GoodSync can connect two computers directly, in a peer-to-peer style, without using intermediate servers
- It can analyze a task with 1M files and folders on each side in less than 10 minutes on only 500 Mb of memory.
SyncBreeze is a powerful file sync tool for local disks, network shares, NAS storage devices, and enterprise storage systems.
This software offers many sync options users can choose from, such as one-way and two-way file sync modes, periodic file sync, compressed file sync, real-time file sync, specific file sync, and more.
Power users and IT professionals can use the command line utility, which is available on SyncBreeze Ultimate and SyncBreeze Server.
SyncBreeze is constantly updated, and the latest improvements brought support for multi-language Unicode file names, improved the file properties dialog, file synchronization preview reports, and the user interface.
Second Copy is mainly a file backup software, but you can also use it as a file sync tool. This software monitors the source files and keeps the backup updated with new or changed files.
You don’t have to customize it all the time as it silently runs in the background with no user interaction. Second Copy ‘s setup wizard helps you define different profiles, with different sets of files and rules regarding backing up and syncing files.
Other features include:
- Copy files between work and home computers automatically without using any storage media
- Modify files on the work computer and synchronize them with the home computer
- Save storage space and backup files by using file compression
- After you set up the source and the destination locations, you don’t have to start copying the files over again if there’s a problem.
- A full guide on the software is also available.
You can download Second Copy as a free trial tool from Centered Systems, or you can buy the tool for $29.95.
We finish our list here. As you can see, there are many file sync products you can choose from.
Many features are common to all the file sync software packages we listed in this article, while other features are supported only by certain tools. Choose the file sync software that best suits your needs.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Wallpaper Studio 10 syncs your wallpapers on all Windows 10 devices
- Fix: Dropbox sync icons not showing in Windows 10
- 8 best file compression tools for Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.