- Windows 10 has several black screen issues that users might encounter.
- If you are having this problem, update your drivers as this is the most common cause.
- We cover all the Black Screen of Death errors on our comprehensive Black Screen Repository Page.
- For more Windows guides and quick fixes, visit our in-depth Troubleshooting Section.
The annoying Blue Screen of Death has been a major headache for Windows users ever since the Windows XP era. But it seems that wasn’t enough, as its brother, the Black Screen of Death started to bother users.
Apparently, Windows 10 isn’t immune to BSOD errors either, and some users reported this issue sometime after they upgraded their system.
Unlike Blue Screen of Death, which represents a critical hardware issue in your computer, the Black Screen of Death represents a software issue, which is reportedly easier to fix. But even a B(Black)SOD could be caused by some more serious problems, and it certainly requires your attention.
Various things could cause this issue, from driver problems and incompatibility to overheating, and we will cover all the causes and solutions for BSOD in this article.
How do I fix a black screen on Windows 10?
- Use dedicated software to fix Windows errors
- Fix software incompatibility issues
- Fix driver problems
- Fix overheating issues
- Run the built-in troubleshooter
- Additional troubleshooting methods
How to fix Black Screen of Death in Windows 10
1. Use Restoro to fix Windows issues
Restoro takes the guesswork out of PC maintenance by allowing you to diagnose and fix issues before you get to the black screen of death phase. All you need to do it start the scan and watch it do its magic.
Restoro works by scanning your computer the hardware level all the way to the applications installed and the registry. Moreover, it checks for malware and it constantly monitors your computer for any dodgy software.
Once the scan is finished, you will see the breakdown of all the faults found and you can fix them with one click.
Have a look at some of the features you can benefit from once you start using Restoro:
- Malware detection and removal
- Free up disk space
- Replace damaged files
- Restore performance
- Stops PC from crashing and freezing
RestoroThe best way to avoid a Black Screen of Death is to do preventative maintenance. Restoro does that for you with one click
2. Fix software incompatibility issues
- Right-click on the icon of the program you want to start
- Go to Properties > Compatibility
- Click on Run compatibility troubleshooter.
Whilst most software incompatibilities have been already resolved, there are still some programs out there that don’t work with Windows 10.
So in most cases, when you try to run an older program which is not compatible with Windows 10, it won’t even start. But in some cases, it might cause the Black Screen of Death, as well.
The only thing you can do to resolve this issue and prevent BSOD from appearing in the future is to run the Compatibility Troubleshooter.
What this does is it checks if the program can be opened in compatibility mode with a previous version of Windows. 9 times out of 10, this will solve the issue.
3. Fix driver problems
- Right-click on the Start button
- Open Device Manager
- Go through the list of the main components (CPU, Chipset, GPU)
- Right-click on the device
- Select Update Driver
- Follow the wizard
Additionally, a black screen can appear if your graphics card driver is not working correctly. If your CPU has an integrated graphics card, disconnect your monitor from the dedicated GPU and plug it in the integrated one.
If the issue disappears, then uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them from scratch. You can use a specialised utility like DDU to completely uninstall a GPU driver.
Drivers are the most common causes of both blue and black screen of death. You should take the time to update your drivers to their latest versions as this greatly improves system stability and performance.
4. Fix overheating issues
If you’re using Windows 10 on a laptop, you might face the Black Screen of Death issue because of overheating problems.
If that’s the case, turn off your computer, wait some time until it cools off, and then turn it on again. We also recommend getting an external cooler for your laptop because it is very helpful in preventing it from overheating.
Dust ingress is the main cause of overheating. If you’re handy with a screwdriver, you can take the back panel off and clean the inside of the laptop of any dust. Dust tends to accumulate around the vents and inside the fans.
Of course, if you are not confident in doing this, we highly recommend taking your system to a specialised technician to be cleaned.
One thing to mention is to always keep your laptop/PC on a solid and elevated surface. This allows the air to circulate and cool the system.
On the other hand, if you’re sure that overheating is not a problem, and it didn’t cause the BSOD on your laptop, you can try some of the solutions listed above.
- Go to Settings
- Update & Security
- Run the troubleshooter
Windows 10 also comes with a built-in Blue Screen Troubleshooter. While this guide focuses on how to fix black screen issues, it is still a good idea to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter as well.
This tool troubleshoots errors that cause Windows 10 to stop or restart unexpectedly and may help you to fix your black screen issues too.
6. Additional troubleshooting methods
- Listen for any beeps. Some systems will have an auditory signal when an error occurs, which can point you to the faulty component.
- Disconnect all your peripherals and restart your computer. Sometimes, your external peripherals may trigger this problem so you need to identify the problematic device.
- Remove recently installed programs, especially if this problem occurred shortly after you downloaded new apps and programs.
- Disable Fast Startup from the Control Panel.
- Remove your laptop battery.
- Disable your antivirus software.
- Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System and check for the reported cause of the error.
If you know any other methods to fix a black screen on a Windows 10 system, let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ: Black screen of death in Windows 10
- How do I fix a black screen in Windows 10?
There are a number of causes for a black screen on Windows 10. Firstly, check that your drivers are updated. Additionally, start your system in safe mode and completely uninstall the graphics driver. Then, make sure you don’t have any software compatibility issues and that your system isn’t overheating.
- What does black screen of death mean?
Typically, it means that your system has encountered a critical error or that your display driver (or adapter) has stopped working. Restart your system and check the Event Viewer to see what the issue is.
- When I startup my computer the screen is black?
- Reboot your system
- Unplug your peripherals
- Try a different port on your GPU
- Use the integrated GPU (if available)
- Try a different monitor
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.