- Does your browser automatically open advertisement sites? There's a high chance your PC might be infected with malware.
- Worry not as we have all the right fixes for you below.
- While adware itself is more annoying than it is dangerous, it can be a carrier for hidden malware. Stay protected with these Best PUP Removal Tools.
- Explore our Browsers Hub as well to discover more useful tips on how to enhance your interaction with the world wide web.
If you find that your browser automatically opens advertisement websites, it’s very possible that your computer might be infected with malware.
This type of infestation of your PC can happen if you browse the Internet without any security features or ad blocker installed, or if the software you use is not up to date.
Here’s how users described this issue on the Microsoft Answers forum:
Recently, websites have been opening automatically when I try to open my usual websites or click on a link. How can I resolve this problem?
In this article, we will explore the best way to avoid this issue ever happening again, and also how to remove any adware software from your PC.
What to do if my browser opens sites automatically?
1. Use Opera
Opera’s commitment to delivering the utmost protection for data confidentiality goes to such extent that you needn’t bother acquiring additional privacy-oriented software because this browsing solution comes packed with a built-in VPN.
Thus, you can not only anonymize your browsing history and protect your online identity by changing your IP address, but you also get to circumvent any geo-restrictions and other types of blockages and enjoy otherwise inaccessible sites or content.
If you are impressed by this one feature, you should be thrilled to know there’s plenty more where that came from including an integrated adblocker to keep adware (potentially malware-infested) and invisible trackers at bay.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Snapshot for screen capturing
- Instant Search for opening a search engine box on top of a page
- Turbo Mode to speed up browsing by compressing webpage images and graphics
- Built-in adblocker to further increase speed and remove distractions
- My Flow syncing to sync images, links, text snippets, and notes with other devices
- Chromium-based engine to install Chrome extensions
- Dedicated Opera add-ons website to add exclusive extensions
Ad-free browsing? Not a problem for Opera - avoid ads targeting and enjoy faster loading times effortlessly.
Award-winning CCleaner is both powerful and fast, allowing you to clean up your computer in literally seconds.
Packed with advanced features, this PC optimization tool frees up space, clears your online tracks including your browsing history and cache and speeds up your system.
The best part is that you can test its excellent capacities for free since the Pro version also includes a general free trial.
Here’s a quick guide to help you use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner here.
- Install the software and open it.
- Inside the CCleaner window, click on the Custom Clean button.
- Inside the Windows and Applications tabs, you will see a list of all your browsers.
- Tick the boxes next to Cookies on all the browser software on your PC > select Run Cleaner.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Remove superfluous or corrupted files to reclaim hard drive space
- Cleans browsing history to preserve your confidentiality
- Patented registry cleaner to eliminate useless entries
- Manage Startup programs
- Complete PC Health Check
- Software Updater
Browser acting erratically? Wipe it clean with the best PC optimization tool out there!
3. Enable the built-in pop-up blocker from your browser
- Click the three dots icon > select Settings.
- Inside the settings window, scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced.
- Select Site Settings.
- Select the Ads option.
- Make sure that the button is toggled to Off.
- Click OK and check to see if sites still open ads.
In this article, we explored some of the best ways to stop browsers from automatically opening websites in Windows 10.
Feel free to let us know if this fix helped you by using the comments section below.