- Discord live viewing not working can often happen due to hardware acceleration, insufficient app permissions, or conflicting background programs.
- Adjusting certain Voice and Video settings in Discord can fix the Discord live viewing not working.
- When you can't watch stream services with with Discord screen share, try adding the as a game in Discord.
- Adjusting hardware acceleration settings can also resolve the dreaded Discord screen share not working.
The Discord live view screen sharing feature is undoubtedly one of its standout features. It enables users to share what’s on their PCs’ displays.
However, some users have said in forum posts that the software only displays a black screen when they try to screen share their browsers.
Why can’t I use live on Discord?
Discord’s black screen streaming can arise because of an app permissions conflict.
Live viewing in Discord often doesn’t work for browser users who have hardware acceleration enabled.
Or you might not be able to see live streams on Discord because you’re trying to share software in full-screen mode.
How can I fix Discord black screen-sharing issues for browsers?
1. Use an alternative browser
You might find Discord’s screen sharing works fine with a different browser.
Consider switching to the Opera browser for Discord screen-sharing purposes. Opera is one of the most innovative web browsers that incorporates a wide range of unique features.
The Opera GX version is an especially good Discord browser that’s optimized for games.
The browser’s GX Control feature enables users to limit Opera’s system resource utilization. Furthermore, it also incorporates built-in Discord support.
Other useful features
- Opera includes built-in VPN
- Its built-in ad blocker blocks ads
- The snapshot tool enables Opera users to capture browser screenshots
- Laptop users can extend battery life with Opera’s battery saver
Opera GXResolve all Discord-related issues by using this powerful gaming browser and take your experience to the next level.
2. Run Discord and your browser as an administrator
Make sure you’re running both Discord and the browser with admin rights.
To do so, you’ll need to right-click your Discord and browser shortcuts and select Run as administrator on their context menus.
Then the software will start with elevated admin rights.
3. Make sure your browser isn’t in full-screen
Almost all browsers have full-screen browsing modes that fill the entire display with URL bars and the taskbar removed.
However, Discord’s screen share feature doesn’t support full-screen sharing. So, don’t try to screen share your browser with its full-screen mode enabled.
4. Turn off hardware acceleration in Discord and browser
- Click Discord’s Settings button.
- Then click Appearance on the left of Discord to open the tab shown directly below.
- Turn the Hardware Acceleration option off.
- Click the Okay button to confirm.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome menu button on the far right of Chrome’s URL bar.
- Select Settings to open that tab.
- Click Advanced at the bottom of Settings to expand the tab.
- Then scroll down to the Use hardware acceleration option shown directly below.
- Toggle the Use hardware acceleration option off if it’s enabled.
- Press the Alt and F keys at the same time.
- Click Settings, and then choose System to open the options in the snapshot directly below.
- Click the Use hardware acceleration toggle button to turn it off.
- Click the Open menu in Firefox.
- Click Options to open that tab.
- Deselect the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox.
5. Disable Discord’s Use our latest technology option
- First, open your Discord software.
- Click Settings at the bottom of Discord’s left sidebar.
- Select the Voice and Video tab.
- Then toggle the Use our latest technology setting off.
6. Close superfluous background software
- To ensure background programs aren’t conflicting with Discord, right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager.
- First, close all software listed under Apps on the Processes tab by selecting them and click the End task button.
- Then have a look for background programs listed under background processes. Right-click third-party background programs there and select End task.
- You can also check for background programs on your system tray. Right-click system tray icons and click their Exit options to close programs.
7. Add your browser as a game to share movie streaming services
- To screen share movie streaming services, such as Netflix, in browsers, log-in to a streaming service within your browser.
- Click the Settings button in Discord.
- Then select Game Activity, and click Add it at the top of that tab.
- Select the browser you’ve opened the movie streaming service in on the drop-down menu.
- Click the Add Game option.
- Click the Screen Share button.
- Then select the browser window to share.
- Press the Go Live button.
Note: This resolution is specifically for users who need to fix Discord’s live view screen sharing for online video streaming services in browsers.
8. Update Discord
- Launch Run by pressing the Windows and R keyboard keys at the same time.
- Enter this path command in Run’s text box:
- Click the OK button to open your Local folder.
- Click the Discord folder to open it.
- Then click Update.exe to update Discord.
Note: You can also update Discord by reinstalling that software with its latest version.
Reinstalling Discord will also ensure the software is correctly installed. So, try that as a last resort if other resolutions don’t work.
Those are some of the resolutions that can resolve browser Discord live viewing not working so you can screen share your web browser.
If you still need further resolutions, however, open Discord’s Submit a request page to send a support ticket.