- If Discord is not playing any sounds in your browser, you'll not be able to communicate with your teammates.
- We recommend checking the Discord server status to make sure it isn't down.
- Configuring the output device according to your own needs might make Discord play sounds in your browser.
- With a browser specialized in using chatting apps, you'll not have to worry about Discord problems.
Discord is the most used chat app by gamers that help them communicate via text and voice.
It’s frustrating being in the middle of a game, trying to communicate something only to realize that you can’t hear a voice while using the chat on Discord in the browser.
The error can appear in a variety of ways, including Discord notifications not working in the browser, and absolutely no sound while using Discord in your browser.
If you are facing the same issue, know that you are not alone. That’s why we have gathered a list of possible solutions in our guide that will help you solve this problem in no time.
Why is Discord not playing any sounds in my browser?
- The app is down – Keep in mind that there might be a problem with the Discord servers. Don’t worry, you can always check their status, and you’re gonna see how a bit later.
- Your browser doesn’t allow microphone usage – In order to play sounds in browser while running Discord, you should ensure that your mic has access to the browser you’re trying to use.
- Incorrect output device settings – This cause is pretty obvious. Fortunately, you can easily check and configure it from the Discord settings menu.
- Problems related to your main browser – Last, but not least, keep in mind that your browser might not be dedicated to apps like Discord. We strongly recommend using an efficient browser, dedicated to our presented app.
What can I do if Discord is not playing any sound in browser?
1. Check the server status
On their site, you’ll be able to see if there are any outages announced. In case that there are, know that this can be a cause to why your audio may not be working properly.
All you can do in this situation is simply wait for them to fix the issues on their side and resume using Discord. If Discord is still not playing any sounds in your browser, make sure you keep on reading.
2. Check your browser settings
- Hit the Windows key, type Chrome, then open the first result.
- Click on the three vertical dots from the top-right corner of the window, and navigate to Settings.
- Go to Privacy and security and click on Site settings.
- In the Site settings option select Microphone.
- Make sure the Sites can ask to use your microphone option is checkmarked.
2.2 Mozilla Firefox
- Hit the Windows key, type Firefox, then open the first result.
- In the right-top corner of the window, click on the 3 horizontal lines to open the More menu.
- Go to Settings.
- From the left window pane, select Privacy and security.
- Now, scroll down in the right window pane until you find the Permissions section.
- Click on the Settings button, next to the Microphone section.
- In the Search Website bar, search for Discord, then click on it.
- Click on Save Changes.
2.3 Microsoft Edge
- Hit the Windows key, type Edge, then open the first result.
- Look at the top-right corner of the window, then click on the 3 horizontal dots.
- In the left window pane, navigate to Cookies and site permissions.
- Now, scroll down in the right side of the window, then click on Microphone.
- In the Allow section, make sure you have Discord.
As you can see, we presented three series of steps, depending on the browser you’re using. We ensured to deliver solutions to the most popular options.
Of course, in case you didn’t find your main browser in the methods above, we recommend searching for the support page and checking how to allow mic for Discord usage.
3. Use the correct Output Device
- Hit the Windows key, type Discord, then open the first result.
- Click on User settings (in the right bottom of the window).
- From the left window pane, select Voice & Video.
- Under Output device, choose your preferred device and make sure that the output volume is not 0.
4. Use another browser
Before moving forward and presenting our solutions, we would like to recommend a very easy solution to the streaming browser with no sound on Discord.
All you will need is specialized and completely free software that comes in the form of a dedicated browser, that has been created especially for gamers.
Although other browsers are good also, Opera GX is one of the best since it comes with features that were specifically designed to sustain games and apps such as Discord.
Thanks to the GX Control panel you will have access to a CPU, RAM, and bandwidth limiter. what this means is that your browser will never interfere with your gaming sessions and there won’t be any interruptions.
Moreover, all the amazing tools and features that Opera comes with, are also integrated into Opera GX, including the ad blocker and free VPN.
Take a look at Opera GX’s most important characteristics:
- Easy to use
- Integrated free VPN
- Ad blocker
- Perfectly designed for apps like Discord
If Discord is not playing sounds in your browser, these are the easiest ways to fix it. As you can see, the fixes imply only a few simple steps to follow.
Following our recommendation, you will regain audio access on Discord when using your browser, in no time.
Let us know in the comments section below which of the above solutions worked best for you, we would love to hear it.