- The message Your browser doesn't allow clipboard access can sometimes pop up in your browser.
- This copy-paste error can be easily fixed, and we'll explore how to do it in this article.
- If you are curious to learn more on this topic make sure to bookmark our Browsers Hub.
- There are more similar fixes that you can read about in our Troubleshooting Hub.
A large number of users have reported that the copy-paste function doesn’t work inside their browser, and an error message appears saying Your browser doesn’t allow clipboard access.
It can affect the speed at which you can copy-paste texts in your browser.
This issue is actually a security feature implemented inside browser software that protects you from third parties being able to get access to your computer’s clipboard data.
What it means is that in some cases you will not be able to use the copy-paste function from the right-click menu. At the same time, it protects you from releasing important information online like credit card details, log-in passwords and id’s, etc.
We will explore in this article a few methods that can help you copy-paste your content no matter what browser you’re using. Read on to find out how.
What can I do if the browser doesn’t allow access to the clipboard?
1. Use a different browser
In some cases, this issue can be related to your browser, and in order to fix it, switching to a different browser might be the best solution.
Opera is built on the Chromium engine, therefore it supports all the same features and extensions. In addition to that Opera also has some amazing free addons for the clipboard that you can use.
The clipboard addon allows you to choose from several filters when you are trying to paste a text. For example, you may want to filter only words that are longer than five characters in search engines.
To install the clipboard addon, do the following:
- Visit the Opera addons page.
- On the Skim the clipboard section, select Install.
When using Opera you have much more flexibility, as you can also customize your keyboard shortcuts. With these shortcuts, you can replace most of the clicking and pointing that you are doing when navigating the internet.
It’s definitely worth giving it a try for a much faster and enhanced web experience.
OperaEnhance your web experience with Opera's amazing features, such as keyboard shortcuts and clipboard free addons!
2. Use keyboard shortcuts
- Press the Ctrl+ C keys on your keyboard to copy the text.
- Next, press the Ctrl + V keys on your keyboard to paste the text.
3. Install add-ons to your preferred browser
- Open Google Chrome.
- Download and install Clipboard Permission Manager from the Chrome Store.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Download and install Clipboard Manager from the Firefox Store.
Note: This add-on will allow you to activate the local clipboard from your PC, but it only works for pasting text, and not copying.
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Download and install the Ditto Clipboard browser extension.
In this article we discussed why your browser doesn’t normally allow clipboard access, and what you can do to change that.
Please feel free to let us know if this article helped you solve your issue by using the comment section found below this article.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.