- The BSoD error 0x00000154 makes your screen go blank while displaying a blue screen on Windows 11.
- In most cases, an outdated or corrupted driver can be the reason behind the Blue Screen of Death errors.
- Running the Windows troubleshooter should help fix this issue.
The BSOD error 0x00000154 occurs when you try to launch an app or a game on your PC; with an UNEXPECTED _STORE_EXCEPTION pop-up message.
The Blue Screen of Death is a common error on Windows and can be easily fixed with the fixes outlined in this guide.
What causes BSOD error 0x00000154?
There could be several reasons why the Black Screen of Death (BSOD) error 0x00000154 occurs on Windows 11. Hence we have outlined the likely causes below.
- Outdated Operating System – BSOD failures can occasionally be brought on by problems with low-level programs operating in the Windows kernel. Check out this comprehensive guide if you want to keep your OS updated to the most recent version but are unsure how to accomplish it.
- Outdated Graphics driver – When you update your Windows operating system, obsolete drivers may not work properly with the new operating system, which may result in BSOD issues. You can check out the various ways to fix outdated drivers in Windows 11.
- Damaged hard drives – One of the causes of the Blue Screen of Death is a faulty hard disk. This entails having your files improperly written to the hard disk as well as a hard drive that is damaged.
- Malware infection – If your PC is infected by computer viruses, this can affect your PC’s registries, and hereby cause the BSOD error 0x00000154.
- Overheating – If your PC’s fans are insufficient to keep your computer cool or filled with dust, or you are overclocking your PC, the BSOD error 0x00000154 is imminent. You can check out this detailed guide on how to fix issues with your CPU fan if any.
Now that you know some of the potential factors responsible for the blue screen of death errors, you can explore the solutions provided in this article.
How can I fix BSOD error 0x00000154?
Before engaging in any advanced troubleshooting or settings tweaks for the BSOD error 0x00000154, make sure you observe the following preparatory checks:
- Restart your PC.
- Make sure your computer drivers are up to date.
- Check your system’s components.
Having confirmed the above checks, and you are unable to fix the issue, you can explore the solutions provided below.
1. Reinstall/update your drivers
- Right-click the Start button and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Navigate to the driver that is causing you trouble and right-click it. From the menu, choose Uninstall device.
- Next, click on Uninstall to confirm.
- Once the driver is removed, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
To know which driver is causing the issue, check the crash logs or remove any drivers that seem to be recently updated. You can also try updating your drivers, or manually download them from the manufacturer’s website.
2. Use Windows 11’s built-in Troubleshooter
- Open the Start Menu and select Settings.
- In the right pane, click on Troubleshoot.
- Select Other troubleshooters.
- Click the Run button beside the Windows Update troubleshooter.
The Windows troubleshooter is capable of locating and fixing several errors. In case you are unable to access your Start menu, you can check this guide to know how to fix the Start Menu in Windows 11.
3. Boot into your system through the Safe Mode
- Click the Power icon on the login screen, hold Shift, and then click on Restart.
- From the list of options, choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options and select Startup settings.
- Then, click the Restart button and press f4 on your keyboard to start Safe Mode with Networking.
You can also check our detailed guide on the other ways to access Safe Mode in Windows 11.
4. Run the SFC and DISM scans
- Press Windows + X keys and select Windows Terminal (Admin).
- Next, run this command and press Enter:
- If the issue persists, then run the command below:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
The DISM scan will take some time to run like the SFC scan which is one of the simplest fixes to apply. However, once the process ends it should resolve the issue.
5. Reset Windows
- Press the Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Go to the System and select Recovery.
- Next, click the Reset PC button.
- Select your preferred reset option and select the type of reinstall that you want.
- Confirm your reinstall settings.
- Click Reset to start the process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the reset.
You can also check our step-by-step instructions on how to reset Windows 11. And that’s it on how to fix the BSOD error 0x00000154 on Windows 11 PC.
Additionally, users can also explore the fixes for unexpected Store exception error in Windows 11 in our detailed guide.
If you have any questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to use the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.