- If you can't install the Brave browser on your PC, perhaps you can fix it by running the standalone installer instead.
- Make sure that your antivirus or firewall isn't blocking the installation process.
- Certain network settings can interfere with the setup process, so you might want to adjust them.
Brave browser has been present for a while, and it’s a great choice for all users that want a browser that protects their privacy and doesn’t collect their personal information.
However, many users reported that they can’t install the Brave browser on their PC. This can be a problem since you won’t be able to browse the web with the desired software.
Although this is a common issue, there are ways to fix it, and in today’s guide, we’re going to show you a couple of methods that you can use to fix this problem.
Why is Brave browser not downloading?
There are several reasons for this issue, most notably problems with a setup file, but you can always use an offline installer as a workaround.
It’s also possible that your settings or antivirus is preventing the download, but there’s a way to fix that, and in today’s guide we’re going to show you how to do it.
What do I do if I can’t install Brave browser?
1. Install the standalone version
- Visit the Brave Github releases page.
- Locate the release that you want to download. Avoid Nightly and Beta releases, as well as the ones that have been tagged as Pre-release.
- Once you locate the version that you want, expand its Assets section.
- Select BraveBrowserStandaloneSetup.exe and download it.
- Once the file is downloaded, run it and the setup should work without any problems.
2. Try a different browser
While Brave is a great choice, it’s not the only secure browser on the web. Opera is quite similar to Brave since they both run on Chromium engine.
Regarding the privacy features, you can find built-in tracking protection, an ad blocker, and a VPN, so you can browse the web without having to worry about your privacy ever again.
The software also has a couple of unique features, such as workspaces that allow you to organize your tabs, and built-in integration for messaging services, such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and many others.
3. Check your antivirus settings
- Press Windows key + S and enter defender. Select Windows Security from the list of results.
- Go to Virus & threat protection. In the right pane click on Manage settings.
- Locate Controlled folder access and select Manage Controlled folder access.
- Now turn off Controlled folder access.
- After doing that, check if the problem is still there.
You can also try disabling your antivirus completely. To do that, do the following.
- Open Windows Security.
- Go to Virus & threat protection and click on Manage settings.
- Turn off all the features.
- Try to start the application again.
Keep in mind that these solutions are only for Windows Defender, so if you’re using different antivirus software, be sure to check its settings and disable the appropriate features.
If this solution was successful, be sure to enable these settings once the setup is finished.
4. Make sure Brave is allowed to go through your firewall
- Press Windows key + S and type allow. Select Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click on Change settings.
- Locate Brave setup file or BraveSoftwareUpdateSetup and make sure it’s allowed to access the web.
- If you can’t find it, click on Add another app.
- Now click on Browse.
- Locate the Brave setup file.
- Once you add it, check the Public and Private options for it and save changes.
If you’re using a third-party firewall, check its settings and make sure you add Brave to the list of exclusions.
5. Run the setup as administrator
- Download Brave setup file.
- Locate the file, right-click and choose Run as administrator.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup.
This isn’t the most reliable solution, but few users had success with it, so you might want to try it out.
6. Change your DNS
- Press Windows key + S and enter network. Select View network connections.
- Right-click your connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses. Now set the following values set the Preferred DNS server to 188.8.131.52 and Alternate DNS server to 184.108.40.206.
- Save changes and check if the problem is resolved.
Is the Brave browser available for Windows 11?
Brave is available on multiple platforms, including PC, Linux, Mac, and mobile. Regarding the supported versions, you can get this browser for almost any version of Windows.
The software is fully compatible with the latest installment, and it should be able to work without any issues.
As you can see, fixing this issue is relatively simple, and most users reported that using the standalone installer worked for them, so we suggest you try that.
Sadly, this isn’t the only issue with this software, and if you want to know more, we suggest reading our Brave browser not opening guide for more information.
Have you found a solution to this problem? If you have, don’t be shy to share it with us in the comments section.