- Users often can't install Windows Media Feature Pack specific to Windows 10 N and KN editions.
- To avoid problems with the Media Feature Pack, try completing the procedure as administrator.
- Another way to fix this annoying issue it is to run specialized troubleshooting software.
- If the Windows Media Feature Pack is not installing, you can always try using the command line.
The Windows Media Feature Pack is a package for Windows 10 N and KN. Users need to install the Windows Media Feature Pack to enable certain multimedia technologies available within these editions.
For some users who try to install that package, an error message pops up that says The update is not applicable to your computer. Consequently, the WMF pack doesn’t install.
WMF pack installation issues often arise because users aren’t installing the package with the correct method for their Windows 10 versions.
There are now two different WMF installation methods for newer and older Windows 10 N build versions. So, some users are getting a bit confused by that.
How can I fix Windows Media Feature Pack installation issues?
1. Make sure you’re signed in as an administrator user
- Press the Windows + S keyboard shortcut at the same time to open a search tool.
- Type Control Panel within the search tool, and click Control Panel in the results.
- Then click User Accounts and go to Change your account type in the Control Panel.
- Select the Administrator option if your user account is a standard one.
- Press the Change Account type button.
- Restart Windows after changing your account type to sign in to your admin account.
After switching to the administrator account, check if you still can’t install Windows Media Feature Pack. If necessary, check out this guide dedicated to Control Panel not responding issues.
2. Install Windows Media Feature Pack via Optional features
- Open the search utility in Windows 10, which you can do by clicking the magnifying glass taskbar button.
- Input the keyword Apps within the search box.
- Click Apps & features to open Settings as shown directly below.
- Next, click Optional features to open the window in the screenshot directly below.
- Press the Add a feature button.
- Select the Media Feature Pack checkbox.
- Press the Install button.
- Restart Windows 10 after installing the Windows Media Feature Pack.
3. Run the Internet Connections troubleshooter
- First, open Settings.
- Next, click Windows Update and go to Troubleshoot in Settings.
- Click Additional troubleshooters to view a list of troubleshooters.
- Select Internet Connections and click Run the troubleshooter to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Then go through the troubleshooter to fix any connectivity issues that might be generating WMF pack installation errors.
This resolution could resolve install failed errors that might arise for some users while attempting to install the Windows Media Feature pack via Apps & features in Settings. A stable Internet connection is required to do so.
4. Download a Windows Media Feature Pack installer
- Open the Media Pack download page in your web browser.
- Select the Media Pack edition for your Windows 10 version on the drop-down menu.
- Click the Confirm button.
- Select the 64-bit Download or 32-bit Download option depending on your PC’s system architecture. Click the FAQ link on that page if you’re not sure what to select.
- Thereafter, open the folder you downloaded the Media Pack installation file to within File Explorer.
- Finally, click the MSU Windows Media Feature package installer to proceed with the installation.
You must download the right installer package for your Windows 10 N version. You need to be sure about what your PC’s Windows 10 N platform version is before installing the package.
This is the right way to install the Windows Media Feature package for Windows 10 N versions 1903, 1809, 1803, and 1709. If you’re utilizing an older Windows 10 version, update your platform to the most recent build you can.
5. Try installing Windows Media Feature Pack via PowerShell
- Press Windows Key + X and select Windows Power Shell (Admin).
- First, input this command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Get-Capabilities
- Identify the Windows Media Feature Pack name listed within the results.
- Then type in this command and press Enter to install the package:
DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:<Windows Media Feature Pack name>
You’ll need to replace <Windows Media Feature Pack name> in the above command with the actual pack name listed in the results. Then your command might look something like this:
DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Media.MediaFeaturePack~~~~0.0.1.0
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken. We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is. Click here to download and start repairing.
This is an advanced solution, but it should help if you can’t install Windows Media Feature Pack.
6. Run an efficient troubleshooter
If you still can’t install Windows Media Feature Pack even with the right installation method for your Windows N platform, check out an efficient troubleshooter.
It’s known to help you automatically repair issues when you’re blocked from installing or removing programs, so don’t hesitate to check out the link below.
After downloading, click the MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab file in the folder you saved it to. Click Advanced and select the Apply repairs automatically option in the troubleshooter.
Then, don’t hesitate to press the Next button to go through the troubleshooter.
So, make sure you’re trying to install Windows Media Feature Pack with the correct installation method for your Windows 10 N version when you can’t complete the procedure.
Using PowerShell might also help some users fix WMF package install issues. Speaking of such issues, this guide dedicated to installing Hyper-V in Windows 10 is also interesting, so take a closer look.
Has any of the above methods worked for you too? Do not hesitate to let us know how the procedure went for you in the comments area below.