- Windows doesn't have an option to change the default font from Settings or Control Panel.
- The only way to achieve this is by modifying the registry manually.
While Windows is fairly customizable, many wonder how to change the default font. This isn’t as easy as changing your settings, but it’s possible.
Before we start, keep in mind that this is an advanced method, so it’s always a good idea to create a backup.
What is the font that Windows uses?
The default system font in Windows is Segoe UI. However, it’s possible to change it with a few minor tweaks.
How can I change the Windows 10 default font?
1. Change your registry
- Press Windows key + R to open the run Window and type regedit. Press Enter to start Registry Editor.
- When Registry Editor opens navigate to
- On the right side of Registry Editor you’ll see list of keys such as Caption font, Icon font etc.
- Select the font you want to change, right click it and choose Modify.
- A new window will open with the name of the registry key and font name on the right side.
- Change the font name to name of the font you want to use. Be sure that you watch the spaces while entering the new font name.
2. Add reg file to the registry
- Go to Start and type control panel. Select Control Panel.
- Go to the search box type fonts and click the Fonts option.
- The list of fonts available on Windows 10 should now be available on the screen.
- Launch Notepad, copy this Registry code into the document, and replace ENTER-NEW-FONT-NAME with the name of the font that you want to use:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
"Bell MT UI (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Light (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
"Bell MT UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Font\Substitutes]"Bell MT UI"="ENTER-NEW-FONT-NAME"
- Go to the File menu and save the document.
- Click Save As and save it with the .reg extension.
- Double-click on the new .reg file to add it to the registry.
- Confirm your choice and restart your machine.
On the other hand, it’s pretty simple to change font, style and size in Notepad on Windows 11.
Did we miss another method to change the default font on Windows? If so, let us know in the comments below.