Fix: Cannot Change Windows 10 Default Font
So far, we’re loving Windows 10 since it has introduced so many new features, but compared to previous versions, it seems that some features are missing.
Some users are complaining that they cannot change Windows 10 default font, so today we’ll show you how to fix this.
The option to change default font in Windows 10 isn’t available anymore. In fact, this option was removed from Windows 8 as well, but if you’re missing this option and you want to change your default font here’s the way to do it.
How to change Windows 10 Default Font
- Change your registry
- Use Tweaker software
- Modify Windows 10 default fonts using Control Panel
- Download more fonts from Microsoft’s Store
Solution 1 – Change your Registry
We have to warn you, changing your registry isn’t always simple, and if you’re not careful you can damage your operating system. So before we start, we just want you to know the risks of playing with registry.
- Press Windows key + R to open the run Window and type regedit. Press Enter to start Registry Editor.
- When Registry Editor opens navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics on the left side of Registry Editor.
- On the right side of Registry Editor you’ll see list of keys such as Caption font, Icon font etc.
- Select the font you want to change, right click it and choose Modify.
- A new window will open with the name of the registry key and font name on the right side.
- Change the font name to name of the font you want to use. Be sure that you watch the spaces while entering the new font name.
Solution 2 – Use Tweaker software
If you don’t want to mess with your registry and you want more simple solution you might want to try a Tweaker application. If you’re interested, you can download Winaero Tweaker.
This application has all sorts of features such as disabling shortcut arrows, changing boot options, or changing opacity. Among all these awesome features, there’s probably an option available to change the default font, so it’s worth checking out.
- ALSO READ: How to fix font size problems in Photoshop
Solution 3 – Modify Windows 10 default font using Control Panel
- Go to Start > type ‘control panel’ > launch Control Panel
- Go to the search box > type ‘fonts’ Open the Fonts option
- The list of fonts available on Windows 10 should now be available on the screen
- Launch Notepad > copy this Registry code into the document and replace ENTER-NEW-FONT-NAME with the name of the font that you want to use: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
“Bell MT UI (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Bold (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Bold Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Light (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Semibold (TrueType)”=””
“Bell MT UI Symbol (TrueType)”=””[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]“Bell MT UI”=”ENTER-NEW-FONT-NAME”
- Go to the File menu and save the document
- Click Save As > name your file > save it with the .reg extension.
- Double-click on the new new .reg file to add it to the registry.
- Confirm your choice and restart your machine.
Solution 4 – Download more fonts from Microsoft’s Store
If the three solutions listed above didn’t work, try installing a dedicated font app on your Windows 10 computer. There are many font templates that you can download from the Microsoft Store. We’re sure that you’ll find one that you’ll like.
So, head over to the Store and browse through the offer.
If you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10, 8.1, 7 font is too small
- 5 font generator software to perfectly match your ideas
- How to change Windows 10/8.1 font packs
- How to Install and Manage Fonts in Windows 10
Many Aventail VPN users have encountered the error message Aventail VPN is not connecting. This problem seems to occur no matter how the VPN service […]
Have you ever received Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties message from Windows when you were trying to move […]
The error You do not have the necessary privilege to create new virtual machines appears in the cases in which the user doesn’t have enough […]