- Using different fonts can greatly you stylize and improve the look of a document or image.
- Windows 10 does come with quite a few pre-installed fonts, but many more can be downloaded from the Internet.
- We have many more articles like this one in our dedicated Windows 10 Tips hub.
- For more great tutorials, check out our How-To page.
If you want to add some additional cool fonts to your Windows 10 OS, you don’t have to put much effort in it, because it’s very easy. And in this article we’ll show you exactly what you need to do to add new fonts to your Windows 10.
How can I install and manage new fonts in Windows 10?
- Use the Fonts folder in Control Panel
- Download fonts from the Microsoft Store
- Other sources to download fonts from
- Managing your fonts
- Managing possible font issues
1. Use the Fonts folder in Control Panel
There are two ways to install new fonts in Windows: you can add them simply by installing them or putting them in the Fonts folder in Control Panel.
Your fonts are packed in .otf files and these files have an installing option, so just right-click on the font you want to install, and choose Install. If you want to add your font manually, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Search, type fonts and open Fonts.
- Drag your font file to Fonts folder and wait until the installation is complete.
2. Download fonts from the Microsoft Store
You can also download and install Windows 10 fonts from the Microsoft Store. There are many resources that you can use to add new fonts on your computer.
For example, the Fonts app lets you customize your posts and replies on social media using a wide variety of fonts.
You can write in different styles and your text will definitely stand out in the crowd. You can also rotate your text if you want to puzzle your friends.
3. Other sources to download fonts from
If you want to find some new, cool fonts, just search the internet a little bit, as there are tons of sites offering beautiful fonts for free. We would recommend Fontspace or 1001 Free Fonts because these sites are really huge free fonts ba1e.
However, if you want to see what it is truly like to have all of the top-quality fonts at your disposal, then your best bet is with Adobe Fonts.
By using Adobe fonts, you will get the fonts directly on the websites that you are using. More so, they become synced via Adobe Creative Cloud to applications installed on the subscriber’s PC.
Under normal conditions, Adobe Fonts is a subscription library of high-quality fonts, but you can now try it out for free for a full 7 days.
4. Managing your fonts
Once installed, you can manage your fonts. You can preview them to make sure that you really like them, hide them if you’re not planning on using them any time soon or you can simply delete them.
- To manage your fonts, go to Start > type ‘fonts’ > double click on the first result
- The fonts window will now open, as seen in the screenshot below
- Select the font that you want to manage and click on the option of your choice
There you go, with just a few simple steps, you have new fonts installed on your computer, ready to decorate your project or other kinds of work.
Adding fonts was a little bit complicated in previous versions of Windows, but since Windows 7 it’s been a piece of cake, and things are still the same in Windows 10.
As we already showed you, managing your fonts is as easy as installing them. Just go to the above-mentioned Fonts folder in Control Panel, where you can preview, add, delete or even print your fonts.
5. Managing possible font issues
Upgrading to Windows 10 can also create some font-related problems. These are not some out-of-normal issues but can seriously obstruct you from using your PC. Hopefully, we have managed to find the necessary fixes for the most faced font issues in Windows 10.
First of all, we have a great fix article for all type of general font bugs in Windows 10 that we recommend checking if you encounter font problems.
If you’re having issues with blurry fonts in Windows 10, take a look at this guide that will help you get rid of them.
Checking the fixing guides above will help you get rid of various font issues in Windows 10.
If you have some additional comments or questions, please write them down in the comments section below, we would love to hear them.
FAQ: Learn more about fonts
- What is a font?
As far as text is concerned, a font is a graphical representation of text that have the same typeface, point size, weight, color, or designs. In fact, there are also ways you can create your own fonts.
- Can I download fonts for free?
Yes, there are plenty of websites that can provide you with free fonts that are open for commercial use as well. Check out this guide on how to download new fonts in Windows 10.
- Where can I download high-quality fonts?
One good library of high-quality fonts is the Adobe Fonts service.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2015 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.