Microsoft unveils affordable Windows 10 S devices for Firstline workers
At the Ignite event held in Orlondo, California Microsoft pulled the wraps from a new range of Windows 10 S devices. The laptops from HP, Dell, Lenovo and Acer promise to offer a bang for the bucks with an affordable price tag. The Windows 10 S is Microsoft’s solution to slow Windows on low-end hardware. The operating system promises a better boot time and it doesn’t let users install any apps outside that of Windows Store.
The Windows 10 S is Microsoft’s take on Google Chrome which has slowly eaten up its share in the education market. Microsoft is rolling out the Windows 10 S globally and it only a matter of time before everyone has access to the same. The prices for the devices from the Microsoft OEM partners start from $275 and will be available from the next month.
At the event, Microsoft said that the Windows 10 S is best suited for Firstline workers who evidently “serve as the point of contact between an organisation and its customers or products.” Furthermore, the company has also launched a new plan called Microsoft 365 F1.This plan is specifically designed for Firstline Worker and can be used to train and upskill employees.
As per Microsoft the new Windows 10 S devices will minimize the total cost of ownership for Firstline Workers and will help them in the following ways,
- Simple to use: Windows 10 S delivers a familiar Windows 10 experience so Firstline Workers can get productive right away. It is designed for performance, start-ups are quick and built to stay that way so that productivity never slows down, even on entry-level devices. It offers more seamless integration with hosted VMs for remote desktop and apps for firstline worker scenarios. And it is fully integrated with OneDrive, empowering Firstline Workers to work from anywhere.
- Streamlined for security: Designed with Firstline Workers in mind, Windows 10 S has the goal of preventing the most common cyber attacks like ransomware and exploits. Applications built on the Universal Windows Platform or Centennial are delivered via the Windows Store ensuring they have been verified for security and integrity. And with Microsoft Edge, Firstline Workers are protected against phishing attacks and malicious software.
- Easy to manage: Windows 10 S was designed with Modern IT in mind, including cloud-based identity and management with Azure Active Directory and Microsoft Intune. Together with Windows Update for Business, organisations can manage and update Windows 10 S devices using the power and convenience of the cloud.
This is what Bernado Caldas, GM, Commercial Marketing in Windows had to say, “Another important scenario for many businesses is the ability to customize and lock down devices to specific tasks or experiences for Firstline Workers and kiosks. In the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, organizations can quickly set up and maintain locked down single purpose devices with improved tools in Windows Assigned Access. In future updates, we are also building additional lockdown, customization, and anti-theft capabilities.”
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- You can now test Windows 10 S Preview builds
- Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade extended to March 2018
- You can now download the Windows 10 S recovery image for the Surface Laptop