- Chrome has settings for allowing the browser's applications to run in the background, or to always start the browser with tabs from your last session.
- You can stop Chrome from opening old tabs each time you restart the browser by disabling these settings.
- To troubleshoot more Chrome issues, don't hesitate to explore our thorough Chrome section.
- Find more thorough guides and fixes for any other browsers in our detailed Browser hub.
You are probably wondering why Chrome keeps opening old tabs, especially when you start up the browser.
GoogleChrome keeps opening old tabs on startup most likely because of a setting called Continue Where You Left Off, but it could be caused by other factors as well.
The above-named feature aims to preserve your last browsing session to enable you to continue whenever you come back online, so you wouldn’t need to do it yourself.
Some other people experienced the reverse of this issue, as Chrome keeps opening new tabs.
In this article, we’ll look at why Chrome keeps opening old tabs and how to stop the browser from doing that.
What can I do to prevent Chrome from re-opening old tabs?
1. Disable the Continue Where You Left Off option
- Launch Chrome and click on the three dots at the top right corner of the window.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the On startup section.
- Select the Open the New Tab page option.
You can also use the Open a specific page or set of pages option if you want Chrome to start of a particular website. For example, Google.com.
2. Disable Chrome running in the background
- Open Chrome and click on the three dots in the top right corner of the window.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Go to the System section.
- Toggle off the Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed switch.
- Restart Chrome.
3. Remove the Google Hangouts extension
- Click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Go to More Tools, and choose Extensions.
- Find the Google Hangouts extension.
- Click on the toggle to disable the extension.
- Hit the REMOVE button.
What was intended to be a feature turns out to be annoying for many users. If you notice that Chrome keeps opening old tabs, it could be caused by several factors.
The solutions here will stop the browser from doing that.