Here’s how to fix Conflict software detected Steam error
Steam is a popular digital distribution platform for purchasing and playing video games, but many users reported Conflict software detected message. One of the error reads like this:
“An incompatible version of LavasoftTCPService.dll (related to Lavasoft Web Companion has been detected inside of the Steam process.”
“We suggest updating or uninstalling this software if you experience crashes or network slowdowns while running Steam or individual games.”
Since many Steam users are facing this problem, we have put together this guide including all the possible solutions to fix this error on Windows computers.
How can I fix Conflict software detected Steam error?
- Uninstall Conflicting Software
- Run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
- Run Antivirus Software
- Reset Network Adapter
1. Uninstall Conflicting Software
The best guess here is that some software is creating a conflict with the Steam process resulting in Conflict software detected. Depending on the error you get, try to find the mentioned software (like Lavasoft in the above example) and uninstall it.
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs and Features > Uninstall.
- Look for Lavasoft or any other software mentioned by the error message.
- If you don’t find Lavasoft software in the Control Panel, look for any other related program like WEN Companion, etc.
- Click Uninstall and restart your PC.
Alternatively, you can use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller to completely remove all traces of Lavasoft from your PC.
2. Run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
Conflict software detected error usually appears if you have junkware on your PC. Sometimes these unwanted applications can interfere with your system and lead to various problems.
Malwarebytes’s AdwCleaner is a free removal tool that removes all the traces of unwanted programs and junkware from your PC. Make sure you have saved and closed any running apps as the program will close any background apps during the cleaning process.
- Download AdwCleaner from the official website.
- Run the Installer and install the application.
- In the Adwcleaner window, click on the Scan now button.
- AdwCleaner will scan your PC and show you all the adware and junkware installed on your PC.
- Go through the listed junkware if need be, and click on Clean & Repair to remove it from your PC.
- When asked, select Clean & Restart Later or Clean and Restart Now.
- Reboot your System, and the error is most likely be resolved.
3. Run Antivirus Software
If you are still facing the problem after running AdwCleaner, try to scan the PC with your Antivirus solution. If you don’t have any, be sure to try Bitdefender.
Bitdefender is one of the best antivirus programs that will remove hidden spyware, adware, and viruses from your computer with ease.
4. Reset Network Adapter
Some users have reported the Internet connection is not working due to the Conflict software detected error. This could be because the adware has altered your network settings.
You can easily fix the problem by resetting the network adapter through Command Prompt.
- Press Windows Key, and type Command Prompt in the Cortana/Search bar.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator.
- Type the following command and hit enter.
- netsh winsock reset
- Close the Command Prompt window.
Launch any web browser and open a web page to see if the Internet connectivity is restored.
The “An incompatible version of LavasoftTCPService.dll (related to Lavasoft Web Companion) has been detected inside of the Steam process” is caused by a potentially unwanted Program (PUP) that might have infected your PC during an unsafe browsing session on the Internet or after downloading something from a torrent site.
It is always recommended to use an Antivirus, such as Bitdefender to keep your PC protected from unknown threats. Also, if you have bought a new PC, always clean install Windows OS to remove any bloatware or hidden adware (although rare) to be on the safer side.
Do let us know if any of the solutions worked for and if you’ve managed to fix Conflict software detected Steam error.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 6 best antivirus for router protection to install in 2019
- How to fix Malwarebytes memory issues
- 4 best website malware removal software for 2018
Internet Explorer is a browser that comes pre-installed on every Windows version, including Windows 10. Unfortunately, IE failed to impress Windows users who switched to […]
Google released Chrome75 just a few days ago. The search giant is now working to bring some amazing new features in the upcoming release. You […]
The Microsoft Edge Dev Team recently held an interesting AMA session on Reddit answering users’ questions. This AMA session revealed many juicy details about the […]