How to connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN
Do you need to connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN? Having a good and reliable VPN is important, and in today’s article, we’ll show you how to connect your PC to a VPN network on Windows 10.
When you want to connect your Windows 10 laptop to a VPN , there are a few things you need to do to get to that point.
Whether it’s for work purposes, or your own personal use, a VPN or virtual private network, gives you a more secure connection to your network and the Internet, like if you’re working from a public place.
In order to successfully connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN, you need to have a VPN profile on your laptop, either by creating one by yourself, or setting up an office or work account so as to get a VPN profile from your workplace.
How to connect to a VPN on Windows 10? Follow these steps
- Create a VPN profile on your laptop in Windows 10
- Connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN
- Use a third-party VPN client
Many network issues are caused by malware, various scripts and bots. You can secure yourself by installing Cyberghost (77% flash sale), a leader in the VPN market (currently 50% on all plans). It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
Create a VPN profile on your laptop in Windows 10
Here are the steps you can take to create a VPN profile on your laptop, if you don’t have one:
- If the VPN profile you want to create is for your work account, check the VPN settings, or check for a VPN application within the intranet site in your workplace, or check with your company’s IT support person about it. However, if the VPN profile is for a VPN service you’re subscribed to for personal use, go to the Microsoft Store and check whether there’s an app for the VPN service, and then go to the VPN service website to see if the connection settings are listed therein.
- Once you have either the VPN for work or VPN for personal account confirmed, click Start button.
- Select Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Select VPN.
- Select Add a VPN connection.
- Under Add a VPN connection, go to VPN provider.
- Choose Windows (built-in).
- Go to Connection name box and type any name, for example My Personal VPN for the VPN connection profile. This is the same name you will look for when you want to connect in the Server name, or address box.
- Type the address for the VPN server.
- Under VPN type, choose the VPN connection type you want to create. This means you need to know which type your company or VPN service uses.
- Under Type of sign-in info, choose the type of sign-in info or credentials to use, such as username and password, certificate, one-time password, or smart card used to connect to a VPN for work. Type your username and password in the boxes.
- Select Save.
If you want to edit the VPN connection information, or additional settings specifications like proxy settings, choose the VPN connection then click Advanced options
Connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN
Now that you’ve created a VPN profile for a work account or personal use, you are all set and ready to connect to a VPN.
Here are the steps you can take to connect to the VPN:
- Go to the right hand side of the taskbar.
- Select Network icon (with the Wi-Fi symbol).
- Select the VPN connection you want to use.
- Based on what happens when you select the VPN, either select Connect (if the connect button is displayed under the VPN connection) or, if VPN in Settings opens, select the VPN connection from there and then click Connect.
- Type your username and password (or other sign-in credentials) if prompted to.
Once you’re connected, you will see the VPN connection name displayed with the word Connected under it. If you want to see whether you’re connected, select Network icon, and then check if the VPN connection displays the word Connected under it.
Use a third-party VPN client
If the previous methods seem a bit complicated, you can also connect to a VPN by using a third-party VPN client. This method is the simplest, and in order to use it, you just need to download and install a VPN client and log into it.
After logging in, you just need to select the desired server and that’s it. This is an incredibly simple solution, but it requires you to rely on a third-party application. However, no additional configuration is required, so you won’t have to create a separate VPN connection on your PC.
If you’re looking for a good VPN client, be sure to check out our review of best VPN clients for Windows 10.
Have you managed to connect to a VPN for laptop Windows 10 after following the steps described above? If so, share with us your experience.
We also compiled a guide on how to fix VPN connection issues, just in case you can’t connect to VPN.
If you’re not able, let us know what happens when you try these steps by leaving a comment in the section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Can VPN improve ping and gameplay? 4 best VPN tools for gamers
- Fix: VPN error on Windows 10
- In the age of no privacy, scam VPN services are on the loose
Windows 10 is an amazing operating system with many features and great versatility. No matter what peripherals are you trying to connect to it, even […]
The Sync function offered by the Windows Media Player allows the users to sync their favorite tracks between the PC and the smartphone. Sometimes, the […]
Microsoft confirmed that non-Insiders running the Windows 10 May 2019 Update are also getting cumulative update KB4497936. Microsoft rolled out KB4497936 to all the devices […]